Sign in to follow this  
GarrySwamley

Review of Wurm Online

Warning: This is a heavily controversial topic in this community. If you continue to read this post, you may or may not explode in a fit of rage about what I am about to say. But please, mind your manners, and reply as politely as you can. I am only trying to provide constructive criticism about what I feel is the ultimate failure of Wurm Online.

MY RATING: 4/10

Why such a poor rating, you might be wondering? Understandibly, people who read these forums love Wurm Online, otherwise they wouldn't be reading these forums. What I have to talk about, has to do with the people who DON'T play Wurm Online, and why they don't play. So first off, I would like to prove a couple of commonly misunderstood myth about Wurm Online to be false.

Myth: The game isn't popular, because not many people know about it.

This is pure falseness in its falsest form. Pretty much everyone on my steam friends list knows this game exists, and most have even tried it at one point. The problem with Wurm, is not that most people don't know about it, the problem with Wurm is that most people don't LIKE it, so they leave after a week or so of playing. Pretty much everyone who plays Wurm has experienced this at least once: you make a cool new friend who just started playing the game, you play with this person for a few days, then they randomly disapear never to be seen again. Either people who play Wurm are getting kidnapped for some reason, or they quit. This happens for more than half of the people who try this game, because it is simply not for them. Maybe its the grind, maybe its how expensive premium can be. Maybe they just don't like the feel of it. Whatever the reason, Wurm's community has never grown to be very large due to most people not staying very long.

I have a second myth I would like to debunk. This myth, is largely believed by people who stay in Wurm, and when people realize this myth is false, they leave.

Myth: The game is not Pay To Win, its Pay To Play.

Again, this is false. In no other game I know about, can you buy as much power as in Wurm Online. The most disgusting and obvious example of this, is the Res Stone, which I believe is one of the main reasons people don't PvP anymore. Another reason, is simply because its annoying to compete against people who buy accounts, and get craptons of skill without putting any effort into the game. The final, and main reason that PvP is dead however, is that since EVERYTHING (land, items, gear, weapons, animals, skill, time) in this game costs serious real world money, most people steer clear, and play newer games where money isn't such a big factor.

So these two myths debunked, you can see why I gave this game a low score. However, why didn't I just give it a 0? Well, there are a few good things about this game as well:

1. The community. In no other game have I ever meet such welcoming, amazing people.
  2. The History. The world of Wurm is full of history, just talk to someone who has played it a long time, and they can tell you a story or two. Chaos especially, has quite a few legends, some of which I hope people would write down more about. You could literally write a thousand novels on the history of what happens in this game world.
  3. The sandbox. Yes, many games are doing this nowadays, but few do it like Wurm Online. The persistence of the sandbox means that sometimes, you will see structures from over a decade ago! I mean, in freedom market, there is a sign "This mine used to have iron" has been there for a super long time, please mention bellow if you know what i'm talking about.

Edited by GarrySwamley

15 minutes ago, GarrySwamley said:

This is pure falseness in its falsest form.

But isnt false falseness true? :ph34r:

• Like 4

"Expensive premium?" and "serious real world money"? for game features like deed upkeep and animals? Lol. What?

• Like 1

Also, if you dont know of any other games that you can buy so much power, im going to venture a guess to say you have not done your homework.

• Like 1

When I first got into this game years ago I thought the same things. Now, of course, I spent hundreds of euros every month so hey, we're talking serious real life money but that is my own choice. If you prem up your character once for 16 euros - which is less than most games cost these days - you become self sufficient very quickly. With some effort you're very quickly able to earn enough silver every month to get your premium time yourself and for a small deed you pay not even 5 silvers for creation and then 1 silver every month. By buying premium time for the first time you already automatically earn 2 Sleep Powders, which put you a fifth of the way to your next premium time - and that's still 2 months away! Spend some time digging and making mortar and planks to raise your skill and quickly get the rest of the money. 

Honestly, unless you're a greedy hoarder like me who has developed an unhealthy obsession with shinies in this game, it barely swallows any of your money at all. 

For a new player, the game might seem expensive or boring and admittedly it isn't for everyone, but your so called "myth busting" is definitely incorrectly researched. 

• Like 5

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerious real life money guys, 16€ for 2 month of premium guys, holy shiiiiiiiiiiit

also, there isnt just the 2 sleep powder, no...

with your first premium ever on a new account you will get 2 sleep powder, a referal you can sell for 6-ish silver and 2 silver in the bank.

do your research properly mang, also rez stones are the reason pvp is dead? lol. ye. sure.

on another note, i would really like to know how long you have played WO and what you have done in your time, just curious.

Edited by Quicktor
  • Like 2

No pvp anymore cause of res stones guys, now accepting work visas to chaos.  Come to the frontier, everyone is friendly!

• Like 2

Wurm online attracts a very specific group of people. Yes the rate at which people quit is high but that's because the game is not for everybody. If you want a quick sandbox where accomplishment can be seen immediately then you belong on the minecraft forums. I agree with a lot of what you are saying but Wurm is by no means pay to win. I've spent maybe a hundred euros and am not "winning", heck I don't even have a skill at 50 yet. How is this winning? Further more you need to define what winning is. The majority of people play on the freedom servers which have no clear goal or end. In regards to the freedom servers (and the majority of players) Wurm online is entirely play to "win".

• Like 3

Do we need posts like this, this is clearly FUD.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt (often shortened to FUD) is a disinformation strategy used in sales, marketing, public relations, talk radio, politics, religious organizations, and propaganda. FUD is generally a strategy to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information and a manifestation of the appeal to fear.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 2

I think he raises some potentially valid points.

More importantly I think most of this community are completely blinded by their obsession for the game. I don't mean it rudely, but being all like "nuu my wurmie is perfect I play everyday and always will <3 XD" isn't helping anything.

The aim is the make the game better, not criticize it just to be an ass.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Madt said:

I think he raises some potentially valid points.

More importantly I think most of this community are completely blinded by their obsession for the game. I don't mean it rudely, but being all like "nuu my wurmie is perfect I play everyday and always will <3 XD" isn't helping anything.

The aim is the make the game better, not criticize it just to be an ass.

Couple flags, 4/10 is pretty terrible and not a very constructive rating. It's a 1 post, throwaway account looks like someone I wont name based upon his posting style who has been banned quite abit on these forums.

Saying the game is pay to win which isn't at all! Account buying is bad I agree but you don't need to buy a account to succeed, I started with nothing for example, I think it's possible if you put effort into it.

Talking about pvp which is another flag and I assume it's that poster I wont name. Game isn't really about pvp anymore it's strayed really far from that years ago, you need to stop criticizing Wurm, I've watched your youtube videos and it's all you do. 

Please stop bashing Wurm OP.

kthxbye

• Like 1

id give it a 6/10 knowing what i know now, and knowing that what id like to see changed are very easy changes.

thanks for showing this to me WU, you shattered my illusion of the game.

I'm gonna say this as politely as I can...

your opinion and so called "criticism" is extremely biased/subjective and not the slightest bit constructive.

in detail:

your friends are not a good measurement on the "famous" level of wurm.

you have no Information on why people are leaving and are making wild assumptions based on your view of the game and your friends again.

you are right that alot of people are not staying long, but at the same time, those who stay tend to be very loyal, which means that most likely something is either off with the learning/starting curve of wurm or wurm is simply such a niché interest game, that it just can't hook alot of people.

.....-.- if I like a game, I pay for it, if i don't feel like grinding, i would pay for someone else to do it or buy a character, but ultimately in wurm those skills are not giving you that much of an advantage that I would call it pay to win....and the res stones...tbh are not the reason pvp is dead, also not the deed prices and danger of loosing real money....>.> there are far more pressing issues.
Sure res stones were often causing very heated debates, but ultimately in a battlefield, they don't make you win, just protect your stuff and as far as I'm aware they can sometimes even fail.

I have been saying it for quite a while, advertising will not help because to most the game lacks appeal.

For some reason so many individuals come up with some deluded fantasy that the only reason people do not play wurm is because they do not know about it, no its because it is not fun for the majority of people.

You know what is more sad? I can already see on page 1 of this thread people getting mad at this guy for even daring to criticize the "great wurm online", when he brought up solid points throughout.

In terms of premium however, not totally right there, I mean 2 months for 16e is better than 1 month of WoW for 15 USD. Not to mention that wurm allows for return on investment unlike a majority of games out there via cash sales.

Also

Who are you and why are you hiding behind a 1 post alt?

I agree with some parts of this. Your facts are extremely off though my man. 

This is a 10+ year old game with largely the same player base from 2012 and up. The game from my perspective is thriving, for some it's not because some aspects of the game have been neglected for years such as the PVP servers. This is one of the most hardcore MMO'S out there and unless you've played consistently for a year, I think 4/10 is an unfair judgement. The chances of a new player being in the game for a year and exploring every corner of the game is impossible unless you have prior experience or catch on really quickly. I've played since late 2005 and to this day I learn something new almost every week. I'm really curious on how long you've played and what experience you had besides word of mouth or reading the forum's. 

PvP in this game is probably the hardest to get into next to Darkfall. You have veteran players who have a great deal of knowledge of all the tricks and whistles of "pvp mechanics". I strongly recommend any new player joining an experienced group of players on the most active PvP server and you will grasp the game and the content much faster. 

As for the pay to win subject, yes you can spend your money on a great account but it doesn't mean you'll be great because you have a good account. There isn't any item in this game you can spend RL money on that's going to make your account better than the next person permanently. It's more like pay to instant gratification, there isn't anything you can't obtain in this game with a little time and effort. But if you have a few hundred dollars extra laying around you can pick up a decent account to get yourself out of the deep end of the pool. 

7.5/10 this game will probably keep going for years with the decent amount of content they've released in the past year and years to come. PvP community and servers need a little more attention, once PvP maps/clusters are tended to properly you will see a huge swing in player count in that corner of the community. 

I know this was your point of view and I agree with about 75% of it, but 4/10 is too low from someone that made it sound they just brushed the surface of this in-depth game. 

• Like 3

Actually the number one complaint against Wurm by players that found the game through Steam is the User Interface. Which they describe as outdated and difficult to learn. The number two complaint is about connection issues with servers in Wurm Unlimited. But this is all right there on the steam store page if you bother to read the reviews (specifically the negative ones).

Otherwise this was a hilarious read! I love dramatic fiction masquerading as real life. You should totally write more.

I suggest something about all Meditation Path abilities are ruining the game, I would read the crap out of that.

• Like 3

Doesn't praise Wurm or it's staff, must be fake news ...

I agree with a few points, especially the no one has ever heard of the game part myth.

20 minutes ago, Maxthx said:

Actually the number one complaint against Wurm by players that found the game through Steam is the User Interface. Which they describe as outdated and difficult to learn. The number two complaint is about connection issues with servers in Wurm Unlimited. But this is all right there on the steam store page if you bother to read the reviews (specifically the negative ones).

Otherwise this was a hilarious read! I love dramatic fiction masquerading as real life. You should totally write more.

I suggest something about all Meditation Path abilities are ruining the game, I would read the crap out of that.

tell me again how sotg or hate path is balanced, id love to read that. without the failed and overused argument of "oh but it took me time to get it!!"

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

First off, everyone is entitled to their opinions so long as they hold no illusions that they are simply that: opinions. Secondly, Retrograde is going to hate me for this post. O:)

For the first 'myth', I have to half agree with you. There's a reason why we're prioritizing the UI, and it's because we're not unaware of the problems with keeping people interested in Wurm. The UI is definitely a throw back to when the game was originally designed over a decade ago. We do have a steady stream of people who are interested, but are rebuffed in some way.

But to say that "everyone" knows about Wurm is rather folly in an argument. In conversation when I tell actual gamers I know "hey, I'm a game developer" and they ask "oh? which game?" - I always get "Oh, never heard of it.". It's hard to maintain an ego when it's constantly crushed like this! On the flip side, I also have a good idea of who would like Wurm and who would not. There has always been a flavor to Wurm that not everyone can stand. I usually ask people if they fancy the idea of building a house from scratch and potentially dying a few times first. So there's a good mix of needing to update some of our concepts and mechanics as well as advertise.

For the second, I've never really heard anyone actually say Wurm is "pay to play". Hell, some people don't even pay. They earn silver in-game which pays for their accounts. I don't think a game where you can actively buy and sell whole accounts and items can ever be free of the "pay to win" label. That said, it's not "pay to win" in the same sense as some games where you literally have to pay more money for more "labor points" or whatever. In essence, I think you're just talking to talk at this point.

Whenever I see posts like these, I try to give them a quick read-through to see if there's any good points in them or anything we might be able to kick around that we haven't already. For the most part, they are almost always declarations of opinions. Usually the opinion translates loosely into "this isn't a game I can enjoy".

• Like 14

I'd say 4/10 is pretty low for a person that has played Wurm long enough to remember that a sign on a market has been there for years.

• Like 1

I've played the game for many years, I've had fun for many years, therefore I win regardless of cost or time put in.

.........still cheaper than going to the movie theater.

• Like 3

You do realize that you can't debunk a myth with personal opinions rights? 

• Like 5

To add to what Keenan said (and Retrograde will probably hate me for that as well :D ):

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

But to say that "everyone" knows about Wurm is rather folly in an argument. In conversation when I tell actual gamers I know "hey, I'm a game developer" and they ask "oh? which game?" - I always get "Oh, never heard of it.". It's hard to maintain an ego when it's constantly crushed like this! On the flip side, I also have a good idea of who would like Wurm and who would not. There has always been a flavor to Wurm that not everyone can stand. I usually ask people if they fancy the idea of building a house from scratch and potentially dying a few times first. So there's a good mix of needing to update some of our concepts and mechanics as well as advertise.

100% true. While in my own circle of internet friends most people know Wurm very well (which is not surprising as I met at least 3/4 of my friendlist in Wurm or other, similar games), most of my real world friends don't know anything about Wurm at all, and I only know two who actually played it. While inviting new players to try Wurm is a good idea (I am doing that personally as well), Wurm is and always will be a niche game, going against the current trends of making everything casual and noncommittal.

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

For the second, I've never really heard anyone actually say Wurm is "pay to play". Hell, some people don't even pay. They earn silver in-game which pays for their accounts. I don't think a game where you can actively buy and sell whole accounts and items can ever be free of the "pay to win" label. That said, it's not "pay to win" in the same sense as some games where you literally have to pay more money for more "labor points" or whatever. In essence, I think you're just talking to talk at this point.

Agreed, most of the people in Polish WO community either never paid to play or paid just once. Wurm is not pay to play if you really enjoy it and dedicate enough (relatively short compared to other games offering that option) time to earn for premium.

• Like 3

I've been playing Wurm Online for 9 years and so far, I hate it. I'm going to give it a try for another 9 years. Will update you then.

• Like 34