Sign in to follow this  
Maiev

Hybrid Characters

38 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

You still have yet to explain the benefits of a single toon that costs the same as two.  You still get to grind channeling like everyone else, so explain why this change is warranted.

?

Evidently you can't read ^_^

People don't champ to benefit from crafting..... unless you're a Vynora champion  (Vynora priests actually have a bonus to the QL increase from improving things, despite the fact that they will lose their faith for doing so).

When I said "champion" it was a short word for "priest with no penalties on Freedom", but if people want to get red-faced arguing with me about the PvP implications, then I guess it gives them something to argue about.

Let me try to address some of the concerns here:

1.  "We want to be able to cast mend, genesis, and non-enchants, etc"

-  Genesis is a 70 faith spell.  The faith requirement of 70 pretty much dictates that some "hybrid" shouldn't be able to to obtain the 2nd most hard to reach spell for a priest to obtain.   Other spells are half the benefit of being a priest.  People use priests for more than standing at an altar all day casting WoA and CoC, and about 90% of the things I use my priest for, you can already do as a non-priest. 

2.  "We shouldn't have to play two toons"

- So play one at a time if you want.  Your "main" can be sleeping while you're farming/cooking/channeling grinding on your priest.  Your priest can be sleeping while you are crafting/imping/terraforming/building on your main.   Nobody said anything about you being unable to play one toon at a time, and this is not a debate about "those damn multi-boxers" like me.

3.  "But it would be better if we could do everything on one toon"

- I am still waiting for anyone to give me one plausible reason why this would improve the game.

3 hours ago, Reylaark said:

As for priests without limitations... WU servers have this.  I don't know that the world has ended, but it did seem to water down the priest experience, perhaps, as everyone had the ability to do what they wanted.

Just out of curiosity, because I can live without the benefits of a priest just fine, but what are the reasons for the limitation?

In  WU there are plenty of smaller servers. Without the mod to allow priests to be both crafters and priests, the communities would be utterly screwed. There's simply not enough players to justify limiting them or penalizing them in the way WO does.

Even if you allowed people to do that in WO, not everyone would. And even if they did, what would be the main effect? Probably a certain small number of people who have almost a complete monopoly on crafting due to the ancient toons that have traded hands a dozen times, would slowly start to come to an end and *gasp* new players could start to get a foothold in the enchanted items market.

It'll likely not happen, even at 2x Premium cost, but methinks the aversion to this is more about people 'maintaining' the monopoly. Otherwise, who would care if someone else's toon was a priest AND a crafter or not?

When you are a champ, aside from all the awesome bonuses, you can craft and cast on the same toon, hence benefit from the ability to craft as a priest or benefit from the ability to cast if you were a crafter. I already said that and I think many people already know that.

If it is a 70 faith spell, surely nobody will ever cast that mighty spell. I beheld 70 faith from below and the towering presence has stolen the air from my lungs.

I already explained why it would be wanted, why I want it being among the many that I pointed out. The question is, why dont you want it? You keep asking what it would change, even though it has been told but you never say why you so passionately dont want this to happen

Monopoly on what?  Casted tools?   So now we've gone from wanting to mend, heal and opulence to a full fledged caster of WoA, CoC, BoTD and Lifetransfer.   There's nothing "Hybrid" about this suggestion, you want to make priests extinct.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

You still have yet to explain the benefits of a single toon that costs the same as two.  You still get to grind channeling like everyone else, so explain why this change is warranted.

I for one DID explain my reasons why I see the idea as a good one. You have confused your lack of appreciation for my reasons as a failure on my part to state reasons at all.

I'm done with this thread. Enough Said.

Edited by geode

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

Monopoly on what?  Casted tools?   So now we've gone from wanting to mend, heal and opulence to a full fledged caster of WoA, CoC, BoTD and Lifetransfer.   There's nothing "Hybrid" about this suggestion, you want to make priests extinct.

And yet priests support it?  Odd argument isn't it?

Just now, Maiev said:

When you are a champ, aside from all the awesome bonuses, you can craft and cast on the same toon

Sure, if you have champ points.   Champions, unlike priests, cannot cast and cast and cast all they want.  This is a common misconception for those that don't PvP.

Just now, Maiev said:

If it is a 70 faith spell, surely nobody will ever cast that mighty spell. I beheld 70 faith from below and the towering presence has stolen the air from my lungs.

I already explained why it would be wanted, why I want it being among the many that I pointed out. The question is, why dont you want it? You keep asking what it would change, even though it has been told but you never say why you so passionately dont want this to happen

I don't need a reason, because I'm not the one proposing a clearly useless change.

In the same time you are saying it would be more beneficial to have 2 characters (and the extra char for priest is mostly if not always made for the tool and weapon spells you mentioned) with same money spent with the added sleep bonus and worried 1 character paying the premium of those characters, simply trading 2 characters for 1 would make you extinct if it casted LT, BotD etc. while the person with 2 or more characters who already cast them or the person who is going to make those characters and will cast them somehow doesnt effect you.

I'm worried about someone else selling enchants?  Go to the market forum and show me my posts selling enchanted tools.  You *might* find one post from like a year ago.

Neat idea in concept, but 1 character that is both priest and crafter with no restrictions is a tad overpowered, even with double prem cost.
Maybe a hybrid character that can be priest and crafter but suffers penalties to both(For normal monthly prem), such as increased favor cost for casting, slower imping.  Skill gain penalty maybe?  Can't follow a med path maybe?   OR whatever, the penalties would have to be bad enough that this type of character wouldn't replace priests or crafters but provide an alternate play style.

6 hours ago, Maiev said:

In the same time you are saying it would be more beneficial to have 2 characters (and the extra char for priest is mostly if not always made for the tool and weapon spells you mentioned) with same money spent with the added sleep bonus and worried 1 character paying the premium of those characters, simply trading 2 characters for 1 would make you extinct if it casted LT, BotD etc. while the person with 2 or more characters who already cast them or the person who is going to make those characters and will cast them somehow doesnt effect you.

It doesn't affect me.  And it won't affect alot of people that already have spent the time and effort grinding a priest and a main.

Even if this pointless change was implemented, you fail to understand the effects this would have on PvP, but I assume you would have zero understanding of that considering you have no idea about how champions work.  You also fail to realize the amount of code that would need to be re-written for this to happen.  They have no interest in making such huge drastic changes to something that would affect so few, and I think they are learning that players (not necessarily me) are more interested in new horse colors, new house walls, graphics changes, gameplay changes and bugfixes.  Suggestions like this one would have such a marginal use for so much development effort because there is no reason for me to de-prem my priest, grind channeling on my main all over again and turn it into a "hybrid".   I already ground to 90 channeling... I am not doing it again.

Bridges were a big thing.  It affected everyone.

Rifts were a big thing.  It affects everyone that chooses to attend.

I don't see hybrid characters being universally desired... I just don't. 

So far your only "personal" arguement against it is "it wont affect me".

I guess it is easier to say "You dont know this, you dont realize that, you wouldnt know this because you didnt know this particular thing" etc. than actually explain how it would negatively effect pvp and make your arguement in a solid way.

Edited by Maiev

+1 to hybrid charaters

-1 to wargasm being... wargasm.

• Like 3

Since the cost for these Hybrid Characters (double Premium) would be the same as paying for two separate characters, it would seem to me to be more advantageous to just pay for two separate characters because with two characters you could play them both more or less simultaneously (especially with 2 computers) and make that much more progress in developing both of them, as well as producing crafting or building objectives.

Many more opportunities to use two characters than one Hybrid, which as I see it makes this suggestion a poor choice even if it were available.

=Ayes=

4 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Since the cost for these Hybrid Characters (double Premium) would be the same as paying for two separate characters, it would seem to me to be more advantageous to just pay for two separate characters because with two characters you could play them both more or less simultaneously (especially with 2 computers) and make that much more progress in developing both of them, as well as producing crafting or building objectives.

Many more opportunities to use two characters than one Hybrid, which as I see it makes this suggestion a poor choice even if it were available.

=Ayes=

I live really far from the servers, and I have a natural lag of 200-300ms give or take, and it gets worse with every extra alt I log in simultaneously. Other people suffer in the FPS department because of weak computers.

Leaving aside all the RP and comfort reasons, wich are plenty.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ayes said:

=Ayes=

Some folks like the play the game on hardmode ;)

Also you're overlooking regrinding stats and skills twice over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Some folks like the play the game on hardmode ;)

Also you're overlooking regrinding stats and skills twice over.

It seems that I was thinking more in terms of playing two characters simultaneously by using two computers. In this way you eliminate a lot of downtime twiddling fingers, watching vids or something because of the long timers involved when only playing one character at a time. Much better than using one computer as well due to lag issues from opening more than one client on some computers. Also no tabbing back and forth between screens on one computer. Learned how to do this way back in UO days and in WO it is even easier because of timer intervals.

Also, developing two separate characters for the same price as a Hybrid allows them to be at different locations or simultaneously creating different things. Priests usually want a different skillset too so I don't see that as much of an issue to build on a separate character. The only thing I thought of as you mentioned is the stat raising but these other benefits override that I think.

If all players could have Priests without any restrictions related to other skills for the same Premium price that would be worth considering but when you can already make a Priest and main character for the same price as doubled that the OP suggests, then I don't see it as more worthwhile but as less value and versatile.

=Ayes=

+1 to hybrid characters. The only reason to reject this idea would be difficulty adding a new type of payment for a character. Having a character that cost twice as much to maintain premium, but only consider one person would actually be worse than having 2 players, 1 priest, 1 crafter. If the hybrid character can only do 1 action at a time, this would simply be a method to get more money from those who don't have the computer to run two accounts at the same time. Yes, people have computers like that. In fact, I know somebody who has 1 crafter, and 1 priest, but can't play both because of lag issues. So...

Do it for the money!!

• Like 1

No one is forcing players to have multiple chars, or even to *GASP* socialize! :wacko:

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

No one is forcing players to have multiple chars, or even to *GASP* socialize! :wacko:

When a game has content its the players job to experience it. Without multiple characters and socializing(i assume you mean trading), you have to craft until you are a high level, then become a priest for several months. After several months of training, enchant the gear you have and then de-priest to use them again regularly. Then when the enchants wear off, repeat. I hope your solution to this problem wouldn't be "Just ignore the other half of the game. Either stick to high ql, or stick to high enchants and limited items." A hybrid character would fix that.

No different than any other game out there, if you want to do multiple task's then you need multiple accounts.

On 3/5/2017 at 10:47 PM, Wargasm said:

It doesn't affect me.

Then don't worry about it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

When a game has content its the players job to experience it. Without multiple characters and socializing(i assume you mean trading), you have to craft until you are a high level, then become a priest for several months. After several months of training, enchant the gear you have and then de-priest to use them again regularly. Then when the enchants wear off, repeat. I hope your solution to this problem wouldn't be "Just ignore the other half of the game. Either stick to high ql, or stick to high enchants and limited items." A hybrid character would fix that.

By socializing I meant spending time with people, getting to know them, their dreams, their foibles...

and then robbing them blind. :ph34r:

it's taken me 3 years to decide to priest my alt.
the only reason im doing this, is because of the new Bless functionality.
Priests being their own `class` bring added revenue to the game because some people can afford to premium both.
Codeclub are not greedy, so for this reason and only this reason.