Sign in to follow this  
Shakatra

Hey, I'll be honest.

The circumstances of my life and the global, environmental, and political climate of the world pushed my subconscious to desire to (again) seek out the safety of Wurm's mantle. 

I live in a dank metropolis and can't currently move due to financial and health issues. I yearn to run through open, unrestricted, unpolluted fields (good luck being able to do that in our world), to encounter mystery and surprises, to travel. I want to live in a rural area and have a cozy tiny house, off grid, with a lush backyard and a chicken coop. Yes, that is one of my main dreams. 

Wurm offers this to me.

It may be just "Java", but you, Wurm, give me serenity and beauty, my own crops, animals to care for, seas to cross.

All of us here are seeking something, and there is no shame in any of it. Some of us are quite addicted, and addiction comes from some deep place, and I honor it. I honor it in you. 

How many of us here seek respite in an isolated deed and do not care to interact? No shame. I honor all of it.

How many just want someone to chat with about stupid things while entertaining their DNA's yearning for "hunting and gathering"? It's all honorable.

Some of us may be in a good place behind the screen. Others may not be. 

We're all here in this moment in time, and I like to pause and marvel at it. In my heart, I don't feel that we'll always have the internet (where the world is going and etc). But that we got together in this alternate universe and created and communicated with one another using something akin to telepathy - is nothing short of a wonder. 

Poignant post? I have that touch, I guess.

May our Wurm remain green, its seas alive, its bounty available to everyone regardless of income, its kings and queens loyal to their subordinates, and its Impalongs plentiful.

<3 Thank you Wurm Online <3

• Like 44

The statement is quite profound, but right on point. Every one of us play this game for a different reason. Whereas for a sense of community, an urge for creation, or the thrill of the hunt, it is something we can all achieve from the comfort of our desktops. i would otherwise never be able to construct a house, cut down a tree or slay a bear if not for Wurm. So I share your feeling of euphoria when I log into the game. That is what allows me to see past the pixelated  corners and the blocky houses, the unfinished animations and the many glitches that dot our landscape. To me, Wurm is much more than that.

I am glad I found you. Someone with that sense of belonging promises good things in any group. You are welcome in Port Alora. Celebration is there for you to take.

I feel many people should learn from you, not in experience but in optimism. Wish it was contagious. Never change.

• Like 3

Something akin to telepathy.

For if there would be no Wurm my life would lack many great things.

My thanks to Wurm for being here to type this message. In my darkest hours, the escape into Wurm was reason to stay around.

Thanks to Wurm I am married with someone so far away that the odds of us meeting without Wurm would have been absolute zero.

Thanks to Wurm for our daughter.

Surely quite few people in Wurm has seen me in good times, bad times and very bad times. Those people are from all over the globe, all sort of different people, they also have had good, bad and very bad times.

After so many years knowing these amazing people trough Wurm, I can no longer but wonder and feel sadness when some of those in real life who did not yet abandon me telling me how "online friends are not true friends".

No wonder the escape into Wurm is so pleasant.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Raybarg said:

After so many years knowing these amazing people trough Wurm, I can no longer but wonder and feel sadness when some of those in real life who did not yet abandon me telling me how "online friends are not true friends".

^ this

These, who do not have this experience just can't understand this.

While I appreciate and agree with all the good thoughts regarding Wurm Online, I feel I must push back a little bit, gently, on what I'm reading as a bit of pessimism about the real world at large.

Yes, some of the people in leadership positions nowadays are way more flawed than I would like, but then I think that has been the case throughout history.  Yes, we have greater destructive power today than at any time throughout history, but then again we managed to get through the Cuban missile crisis, the cold war, and other potentially nuclear winters.

The news would have us believe it is all bad, and certainly much of it all is, but it always has been. 

Still, there are many small, personal kindnesses from us, by us, and to us.  It's important to look for them, and create them, every day.

We may be far from a harmonious existence, but we, as a people, have never known harmonious existence.  The !Kung argue, squabble, get jealous, just as every other human culture throughout history. 

A bumpy, treacherous road is no indication that the destination is out of reach.  It may, in fact, make the destination that much sweeter.

As for my thanks to Wurm Online... it is a huge part of my relationship with my brother, and for that I am very thankful.  "I'll see you later tonight," would always make my mother wonder if I was going to his place.  I was, but in Wurm Online.  Living far from him now in RL, we are neighbors in Wurm.  We can help each other out on projects, or just have a brief check-in as we toil away separately.  I may well be seeing my nieces and nephew in Wurm down the road as well.

It's a truly wonderful environment to live in, trolls and all.

Thank you Wurm Online.  Thank you Rolf for having the vision and tenacity to see it through, and for all those who have picked up the torch over the years, both paid and volunteer.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Shakatra said:

All of us here are seeking something, and there is no shame in any of it.

I mean I'm here to shitpost and steal game mechanics from the game and the forums but ok.

• Like 1

Love this. I live in the fairly crowded city-burbs and Wurm, even with trolls (and trolls) Wurm gives me a break from traffic, tolls, apartments without closets, and the general shouting of everyday life. Getting to hole up in a fairly secluded spot helped me through some rough times, too. I'm glad we all seem to find something good here.

• Like 1

Although I rarely agree with the saying that "honesty is the best policy", in your instance here I am glad you have transitioned it onto this wonderful post of Wurm's allure. A true escape from the realities of life into another dimension of the imagination I find it to be as well. As all types can venture here from the kindness of strangers to those foreign to the concept; therefore, I find it best to keep some things close to the heart from those lacking in it. Even here all is not the idyllic path one would wish to wander in peace if only for a bit beyond the world's concerns.

Even the beauty of these lands is not safe from those in control who seek a harsher landscape of destruction. Go in peace then an I hope you continue to find beauty in things of the imagination that only but you can see.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Now if I could just somehow explain all of this to my wife...

• Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 1:16 PM, Greyfox said:

I want whatever you're on.....

I'll take some too :P

And a bit everyday, please!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

well.. i wear silicon earplugs all waking hours. 
so that's nice.
not so much pollution here, i think you'd like it Shaktara but the noise of the traffic in a popular seaside town fast becomes unbearable if u have to hear it everyday. 

Yes, Wurm is a happy escape if you don't have to listen to the construction site drone of 100,000 cars zooming past your window every day.
because that.. murders creativity.
One thing i have wished for over the years, is to be part of a friendly alliance. In years, i haven't found one. 
that's the only thing missing for me. 

I read all the comments, good stuff. it's not always easy to self-program a delusion that there are no greedy predators `playing` but when the delusion holds, it's an awesome game.

On 28/02/2017 at 11:43 AM, Raybarg said:

No wonder the escape into Wurm is so pleasant.

dude most `offline friends` are not `true friends`
the heart knows. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

not so much pollution here, i think you'd like it Shaktara but the noise of the traffic in a popular seaside town fast becomes unbearable if u have to hear it everyday. 

dude most `offline friends` are not `true friends`

the heart knows. 

no doubt my ""new neighborhood is under threat and annihilation from gentrification so I hear you..they have started tearing down charcter buildings to make way for the concrete monstrositiies that now inhabitat my skyline,,

How true, how true we use the word ""friends so lackadaisically.. these people fall under :""aquantances not friends..and we must remember that if we are to stay afloat with our feelings intact and full of esteem...

this is a wonderful post .. I see the beautiful colours you have so liberally spread throughout your post.. if you are a girl.. what are you doing ton9ght btw??  j/k, j/k.......

no seriously what are you doing later???.... ..hehehe anyhow I feel my heart wince in pain as I detect  the subtle hints of a saddened heart and only wish I could improve your outlook in some manner or by some means. for you are obviously full of emotions and it saddens me to read it in your post..

I keep falling away from Wurm after the "vulture crew:" picks away at my soul stealing something that is not mine nor theres to steal.. .but the good souls draw me back .. just to bask in their brilliance for even a short while makes my day so worthwhile..  I find the internet is a great venue for  expressing one's thoughts or feelings at face value without the baggage that comes along with the RL interactions.. it is so much easier to express ones self when you are not looking face to face with somebody who could love, hate or not care in the lightest who you are ort were or will-be... the flips-side is also true though, people tend to say too much or do too much without the ramifications of truly realizing the good or harm they have caused  and whos words can you truly trust these days..

so anyhow.. its nice to hear why I like Wurm so much in a good post and why I like coming back to challenge the next wave of mobs on the horizon be it time, vermin or even people..

Happy Wium'in today on the birthday of my City of my Homeland..well the capital at least not the town..   anyhow good day..

• Like 1

*Continues on his ten plus year mission to clearcut Wurm*

Only good tree is one burning in me forge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Klaa said:

You heartless man. Think of the bees!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

You heartless man. Think of the bees!

I made em a new hive... using the same tree. Mwahahahaha!!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:47 AM, Klaa said:

How will you have any to burn then after the last one you cut down is burning in your forge? Fortunately the tree loving druids can now escape to WU while this Dev/player collaboration to deforest these poor Wurm landscapes rages on.

*whistles a soft happy tune while strolling through my WU protected forests*

=Ayes=

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:59 AM, Reylaark said:

While I appreciate and agree with all the good thoughts regarding Wurm Online, I feel I must push back a little bit, gently, on what I'm reading as a bit of pessimism about the real world at large.

Yes, some of the people in leadership positions nowadays are way more flawed than I would like, but then I think that has been the case throughout history.  Yes, we have greater destructive power today than at any time throughout history, but then again we managed to get through the Cuban missile crisis, the cold war, and other potentially nuclear winters.

The news would have us believe it is all bad, and certainly much of it all is, but it always has been. 

Still, there are many small, personal kindnesses from us, by us, and to us.  It's important to look for them, and create them, every day.

We may be far from a harmonious existence, but we, as a people, have never known harmonious existence.  The !Kung argue, squabble, get jealous, just as every other human culture throughout history. 

A bumpy, treacherous road is no indication that the destination is out of reach.  It may, in fact, make the destination that much sweeter.

As for my thanks to Wurm Online... it is a huge part of my relationship with my brother, and for that I am very thankful.  "I'll see you later tonight," would always make my mother wonder if I was going to his place.  I was, but in Wurm Online.  Living far from him now in RL, we are neighbors in Wurm.  We can help each other out on projects, or just have a brief check-in as we toil away separately.  I may well be seeing my nieces and nephew in Wurm down the road as well.

It's a truly wonderful environment to live in, trolls and all.

Thank you Wurm Online.  Thank you Rolf for having the vision and tenacity to see it through, and for all those who have picked up the torch over the years, both paid and volunteer.

Actually, the pessimism is realism, though the emotional defenses are understandable.

We've got 70+ feedback loops, plus the ecological breakdown of nearly everything we can think of, such as the disappearance of insects. Scientists have got their hands tied, and the IPCC is extremely conservative (and optimistic). So, we've got 5-10 years of habitat left, or even less. Everything is in a crisis of such proportions, that I'm actually glad that there is a giant reset button on the horizon. The internet was an amazing phenomenon, but I can feel, more and more, that it will not be here forever.

Anyway, take good care.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 5:43 AM, Shakatra said:

. I yearn to run through open, unrestricted, unpolluted fields (good luck being able to do that in our world), to encounter mystery and surprises, to travel. I want to live in a rural area and have a cozy tiny house, off grid, with a lush backyard and a chicken coop.

What world do you live on?  Come to England, we have like 50 cities and a few towns, the rest is fields and rural areas. There is a lot of brainwashing on the internet and tv, especially by the Americans. The co2 was like 10 times higher in prehistoric times and everything flourished, oxygen is the poison. Why not leave your city and take a look around.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shakatra said:

Actually, the pessimism is realism, though the emotional defenses are understandable.

We've got 70+ feedback loops, plus the ecological breakdown of nearly everything we can think of, such as the disappearance of insects. Scientists have got their hands tied, and the IPCC is extremely conservative (and optimistic). So, we've got 5-10 years of habitat left, or even less. Everything is in a crisis of such proportions, that I'm actually glad that there is a giant reset button on the horizon. The internet was an amazing phenomenon, but I can feel, more and more, that it will not be here forever.

Anyway, take good care.

Are you a scientist or just believe what crazy people type? It's helpful to think for yourself, world isn't perfect insects and animals die out, it happens. Human race is not perfect, we learn and attempt to make things right. Reading fear and doubt facebook posts like that is extremely unhealthy for the mind and just spreads the fear to other uneducated minds. I dabble in Eco stuff, it's not great but it's not extinction level or even close to that currently.

• Like 4

I'll settle with the good old: We are all in the same game, just different levels, dealing with the same hell, just different devils.

Also who doesn't like a good hot cup of Java. ?

• Like 1

Beautiful post :) 

I also know of people who struggle with other limitations like illness or disability, yet find freedom and escape in Wurm on the back or a horse riding the big open grass fields (or being the champion at a rift or standing alone on the top of a high mountain peak.) Wurm Online gives everyone the chance to create their dreams.

• Like 6

I know of a few players who are/were farmers or own land,as a previous owner of 15 acres it's funny i actually built a 300m long packed dirt/clay driveway using a vehicle and shovel. Now  me and my wife just updated(deeded) to 1700 acres with cattle and sheep i will still play wurm that will not effect my feeling for this great game,there is some great friendships i have made and some i myself have broken to my detriment but i love wurm and the people that i have encountered and passed along the way these past   almost 6 years (late 2013) .

Edited by Toecutter
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Toecutter said:

I know of a few players who are/were farmers or own land,as a previous owner of 15 acres it's funny i actually built a 300m long packed dirt/clay driveway using a vehicle and shovel. Now  me and my wife just updated(deeded) to 1700 acres with cattle and sheep i will still play wurm that will not effect my feeling for this great game,there is some great friendships i have made and some i myself have broken to my detriment but i love wurm and the people that i have encountered and passed along the way these past   almost 6 years (late 2013) .

You also built quite a few bridges Toey (inside and outside the game) :) 

• Like 1