Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Reanimate corpse - temporary fix for animals crossing server borders?

I know the issue of animals not being able to cross server borders is proving difficult to fix. I was thinking that while the devs are working on a proper long term solution to this, there may be a short term fix we could use in the meantime. What if there was a karma ability 'reanimate corpse'? You could kill an animal, put its body in your inventory, cross to another server, then use 3000 karma to bring it back to life. Kind of like the zombie spell, except with this the animals would be truly alive, not die after a few days, be rideable, breedable, etc. This would also be useful for those unfortunate accidents that always seem to happen, like when you kill your favourite horse by mistake, or forget to unequip your weapon when taming your other pets. It would probably need to exclude unique so that people couldn't bring nogumps and things to freedom, but for horses and other animals, as well as champion pets, it would be a good start. We can always work on better ways like animal crates in the future. I'm not sure if this idea would be easier to programme than crates or people leading animals through water across servers, but it's worth looking into. We've all been waiting a long time for this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be happy to have a temporary fix while the devs sort out a better long term method.

True :) Fortunately for me, a lot of other people want this as well. Changes in the programming do happen if enough people shout loudly about it for long enough. So shout +1 if you want to take your animals across server borders! Shout! :P

+1 to dedication in trying to achieve what you want, however this issue has been addressed so much in the past already that I honestly can't say I understand why it keeps getting brought up. We've heard that it isn't possible for now and we've also often enough discussed why it isn't possible for now. Developers and the team obviously know this is something players want, and I believe that when they make time or find the need to implement this change, they will. 

• Like 1

It keeps being brought up because it's still not happening. The devs obviously have higher priorities at the moment; that's why it's not happening. If we want this to happen, we'll need them to change their priorities and put this at the top of the priority list. The only way I know how to do that is to keep bringing it up, and for other players to keep voicing their support - though if there's another way to get the devs to reshuffle their priorities, I'd like to know about it! Anyone have any ideas? Apart from messaging all the devs, Enki and Retrograde individually, I've already tried that.

Obviously bugs need to be fixed asap, but as far as developing new aspects of the game goes, such as new cooking systems, herb planters, new animations, etc., if the players of Wurm continually make it apparent that we want to be able to take animals across server borders above all other new game functions, I can't see why it won't be moved to the top of the list.

12 hours ago, Yldrania said:

it isn't possible for now

It is possible, the fact that people managed to do it in WU, without full access to the codebase and having to work with backwards modding tools is more than enough proof for that.

WO devs don't want to implement it due to various reasons (some of which were openly discussed and some are probably still hidden). But that isn't a reason to attack people that voice their requests. Many features that are a core part of the game were requested for many years over and over until they were implemented.

As for this specific suggestion: It would be problematic on a technical level. Once an animal dies, a lot of the metadata associated with it (traits, stats, effects, parents, etc.) is destroyed. There isn't really a place to store all that on a corpse item. To make a full resurrection like that work would require probably more changes than getting cross server animal transport to work to begin with.

1 minute ago, bdew said:

It would be problematic on a technical level.

Quoting parts of what is said for the win haha :)

What I meant to say with my response should be pretty clear :)

14 hours ago, Attenia said:

I was thinking that while the devs are working on a proper long term solution to this, there may be a short term fix we could use in the meantime.

Why are you thinking that the devs are working on this?

If they wanted a long term "solution" there is the animal token mod in WU that can be used.

I assume they're working on it, as it's something a lot of people have wanted for a long time. I hope they are, but I could be wrong in my assumption, maybe they're not. That's a good idea re using the WU mod. Maybe that'll be my next suggestion :)