Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

New island in the South sea

On 2/22/2017 at 6:01 PM, shankiest said:

Blackstone X28 Y48

Blackstone Bridge x25 Y45

Birchwood Troll Mound X25 Y42-Wand of seas used on to create island.

Blackstone's Spring Hill X29 Y45

Landbridge made to island then island to mainland.

Southern landbridge does have a 11 tile bridge somewhat in the middle of it, enough for boats to get underneath.

Little hard be exact where the northern side of the landbridge starts since island doesn't exist on map.

EDIT: wand of sea island is about a 50x50

QY2mUZM.png

We checked this out and found that the whole passage via ocean is almost blocked by this landbridge except for the tiny part in the middle.  May we please replace this with a proper bridge that ships can pass under?  

• Like 3

Them Land Bridges must go.. blocked shipping path's and blocking highway rules.. the iland is in the worst spot it could be at a normal bottleneck and them land bridges are griefing the water ways

• Like 2

Realized I never replied. Knarr was able pass through what boat could not go through?

EDIT: Previous comment here was not needed and me being a little irritated.

EDIT:I will modify nw side of new island to make sure boats can pass that way. As for rest I can't guarntee it be done instantly. Amount bricks needed is why we dirted instead.

Edited by shankiest

There is a bridge on the south side of the island and I plan to make one on the north side as well. The south was all we could do in the time being. However the landbridges or island aren't griefing anything consider there's a 11 tile arch bridge that allows any boat to pass under on the south side of the island. 

4 hours ago, Pandalet said:

Topic split out from the map topic.

thx you panda :) i was going to make a post about this. still going to write out it just do it as a reply

OK lets start from the time i logged on Saturday to do my normal delivery run to what ever sever to make that $..

come sailing up to this huge WTF!!! island that blocks me from the sea.

AIo9Cu3.png

From the way i sail in i see no way around this huge mess.. i say few choice words in alliance get linked. a video of people making this laughing and having good old time. at this point the glove's come off... i am beyond pissed i'm am down right irate..

few of my ingame friends know this to well.. i'm sorry guy's.. at this point one of my friends tell me to just go do what i was going to and relax.. the best thing i could of done about it. (others would of got me banned or def hated by huge group of people)

As the day went on i talked more about never really relaxing (the reason i play wurm is to relax)

at this point another friend logged on started talking to them.

let me see this from another side.

on this note. i'm sorry dridmar i was snappy to you in pm's..(your pm came right as i was talking to othere friend and i was still very upset)

you blocked a huge area of water highway and only left little hole to get around.

this is release.

i try to go out of my way to get along with people. the actions we do here change how the hole sever see's you and your group of friends, and all chaos players.

and on that note i would like to hand out a olive-branch. ill help ya build your north highway down to your land bridge with labor and time.

if we put you together a nice bridge going across to your new island.

And can blow UP the land bridge you got in your north.

this is what i would like to see and im sure few other would to.

Spoiler

0Z0TGug.png

• Like 2

I'm happy to put in my labor to dig up the landbridge and helping to put in the mats to the bridge when it gets there.

Landbridges are annoying to sailors for sure, and having just a spot to sail through makes life hard in bad winds.

• Like 1

Like I said it before the landbridge is temporary. I own the deed on the island with Shankiest. I intended to basically what icbash bottom picture posted. However we did not have a high enough dioptra to plan that. We did what we could with the given time and materials and tools. There is a bridge there already. So no passage is blocked. You are able to pass around the island. Jaz if we run into difficulties I will be getting into contact with you for some help then. However I'm on a trip and work on this won't start till Wednesday. There will also be a highway essential going on the west side of the island so people can come explore out bottom island. 

Edited by Egard

i got a 70ql dioptra  if that high anof for what ya need if not i may know few people we can get higher one made

When I get back Wednesday I can calculate the quality needed

My only concern currently is preventing someone from deeding it and griefing it. With bridges only I can't prevent someone deeding it without making 1x1 islands along the way. While most don'y worry about bridges being deeded I do worry about our village invests in projects.

EDIT: I will work on nw bridge right now.

Edited by shankiest
  • Like 1

We would also be happy to help the bridges being built.  We have very high dioptra and high masonry, I am sure we can come up with some of the mats too.  I am also going to go out on a limb here and say that chances are very small that anyone would grief your bridges, based on the fact that between our alliance friends we built many, many huge bridges and have never come across anyone griefing bridges on Release.  This is a small community and pretty much everyone knows everyone, and for the most part, we all work together and have a relaxing time.  It is PvE, not PvP.  

I believe that you are much more likely to actually have some irate person go dig down the landbridge than what you will have someone going to deed over a normal bridge, as the landbridge is annoying and may cause someone to say, well, stuff this, I am digging it out.  You could also build arched double wide bridges and then it will be protected any way.  

It is great that there are conversations about how to adapt this, it is just a shame that this did not happen before it was built in the first place, as I am sure you would have found many people willing to come down and help you out.  The Release community in general is extremely generous and kind, and many have high skills and tools and time to help out on community projects.  Let us know when you are ready to change these bridges, and we will come help out wherever possible.

• Like 4

NW side of new island now has a 1x20 bridge. Appreciate the offers to help but the village will take care of this for now. South side will be worked on during the weekday.

EDIT: one thing we do lack is a high QL dioptra actually. If anyone has one better than 64ql one and willing cod to dridmar I will return once we plan the southern bridges.

Edited by shankiest

I'm glad this was brought up and is already being addressed. If desired, I can donate time or resources towards this bridging project.

it is heartening to see the community coming together to fix this issue. 

To the ones who created the problem in the first place, I totally understand why you did it, but unless you sail a lot as some of us do, you may not fully appreciate the difficulties these things create for navigation.  If it is dark out that annoyance factor is x10.  Just think about what can be seen in the dark and work from there.  Signage and lights help a lot as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GoldFever said:

it is heartening to see the community coming together to fix this issue. 

To the ones who created the problem in the first place, I totally understand why you did it, but unless you sail a lot as some of us do, you may not fully appreciate the difficulties these things create for navigation.  If it is dark out that annoyance factor is x10.  Just think about what can be seen in the dark and work from there.  Signage and lights help a lot as well.

In all fairness both myself and shankiest are new to this "freedom" thing. We are both pretty reasonable people and are glad to work with the community. When this island was made its intentions were to connect the mainland to the South Island so our villagers and other villages in the south can go to the mainland via horse and vice versa. We made a bridge with the given materials and tools we had at the time. I am almost certain that to get this bridge done on the NW shankiest bought materials to build it in the shortest amount of time possible for ease of others. This island, the bridges, and landbridges are a work in progress. My intentions are to build a highway using these bridges connecting the mainland and the island while I continued freezing and wait for the lava tiles on the island to freeze. Don't you be worried that there will be plenty of illumination on these bridges, island and pathways. I must have about 200 lamps sitting in my forges that I am imping to 70ql this week and going to dye to place around it. However I do think this whole situation was blown out of proportion anyone passing the island can notice that is fairly new and being worked. Anyone making any reasonable attempt to pass it will notice the bridge that was on the SW of it allowing passage. At the time this post was made it had not even been a few days since the island was formed. But I know shankiest did his best and worked hard to fix anything he could to make it easier for the community and other people to pass around the island. I will be on this week to continue work in the area and continue to improve it. 

my deed name REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

birchwood troll mound my name REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

Thanks to shankiest the bridge is done. didn't have the skill to do a arched but it's elevated enough any boat can go through. This weekend works on a

highway to it will begin. Planned highway from it to the center steppe region, and down to the South Island around my deed. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 1:56 PM, Egard said:

Thanks to shankiest the bridge is done. didn't have the skill to do a arched but it's elevated enough any boat can go through. This weekend works on a

highway to it will begin. Planned highway from it to the center steppe region, and down to the South Island around my deed. 

Hi Edgard, did you get this done or do you still need help finishing it?  Have not been to that part of server in ages but willing to help if you need some help.

• Like 1