Sign in to follow this  
roflkittens

GV needs a map reset

No need to enforce anything, just need to set the AoC of starting towns so noone can build over it. Problem solved for starting area mess.

okay, so get a bigger village deed? People will probably still live close to the border.

No:

Deeds have an Area of Control (AoC) 50 tiles away from them, where the deed owner can still set permissions like building things. Just set starting deeds permissions so noone can build up in AoC and you will end with a 111x111 area untouched with the center at the starting towns tokens.

That's a bit too much so I'm against the idea. Beginners still have a tough time with animals so they need to stay close by for protections.

Improving the help system when players arrive to suggest spots for them, and providing plots for them to set up on that are set up in a logical way, ie a self-help project is a real-life solution to shanty towns and can easily work here. However, the the present shanty town would have to be cleared to a great extent, if not fully, to make this possible.

Let's look at it this way. You start at the regular starter deed, laid out to be confusign with clear directions, and greater instruction from the tutorial guide. He tells you the kind people of Jenn-Kellon/Mol-Rehan, (or in the way i'd prefer it a single faction) have set out plots for their citizens to build their homes on. Between these plots are roads leading to premade mines and tree farms to allow easy resource access. Such plots would be around a 5x5 area, with the opportunity to expand onto other farm allotment plots or simmilar. If people attempt to expand over the cobblestone the product of their expansion is removed. Placing some kind of sign or item that triggers further imfomation and a message telling them they are welcome to set up in the wilderness or join a nearby village could also be on this plot. If this plot is left untouched after development for a period of time, it should be wizkilled back to it's original 5x5 packed dirt state.

Cuurent roads should be dug up and replanned, and areas on terrain damage should have trees replanted and land unterraformed. Perhaps the starter deeds should have a perimiter wall around them that restrict people from expanding massively into the surrounding area, and to keep animals out. This would also help to establish a sheltered community feel early on, before heading out.

Keeping GV fresh and available for new players is very important, and the typical "there's no space" attitude people develop after running once around Glitterdale probably should also be remedied. If there are other deeds around the place where people can bind their spawn so they don't walk as far after death this would encourage them to move further, and spread the community out, leaving untouched land everywhere for people to stumble across and live alone in.

I don't think GV needs a total reset anymore, but making life easier for newbies with help from higher end Freedom players would be good.

GV should get a weekly reset, the only reason GV exists is too give players an idea of the game before they buy it, not for people too buy and live forever

another way to go would be too allow people only 48 hours of playtime on there, then after that they gotta buy prem

GV should get a weekly reset, the only reason GV exists is too give players an idea of the game before they buy it, not for people too buy and live forever

another way to go would be too allow people only 48 hours of playtime on there, then after that they gotta buy prem

You do realize, people play on the server to get their skills up so their more prepared for the wild/Freedom, right? I don't wanna go in headlong with no skills. Resetting it once a week is going to stir up stuff.  However, if you mean a map restart, then that means all of the work for the PA's, CA's (Zephyr is a prime example) will be destroyed, and the newbies will have an even worse time.

The only reason GV exists is because /b/ flooded the home server.

People really need to stop spitting on the free players, we live with all the restrictions, isn't that enough? You act like we're ruining your life, like some kind of rich snob who would love to see all the peasants dead.

Meh.

A weekly reset is too much. I was talking about once every six months or so with adequate warning and no skill loss. However, this idea may not be so good. Golden Valley does need resolving and improvement, but not in such an extreme manner. If it were up to me, i'd go to Golden Valley on my main with premium skills and try to make the place a better example of Freedom and Wild, but I can't.

I think Golden Valley's landmass should be altered a tiny bit every now and then and maybe islands added by Devs to stir things up a bit. Deeds should also be attainable from GMs if pre-arranged to show newbies what villages are like. The idea of teams of Freedom and Wild players coming over to talk to and help newbies while under restrictions of what tools they can make and trade and what they can introduce to the population should also be considered, and will allow factions other than the HOTS to have a showcasing deed.

Create a single kingdom, where we will have a board of people similar to parliment. To make decisions and give land to people.

-1 to cndo and the weekly resets.

I do agree on improving the help system. Update the tutorial to teach people that you don't have to equip the tools to use them. Only need to activate them. Only things you need to equip are weapon and armor (shield on arm and stuff like that)

I also agree on some terraforming needed around the starter area. Places far beyond the starter area will decay on their own.

Not sure if you been to First Light yet, the area around the border are all bushes. At first I thought it was a decent change so new players won't get lost when they first start out but.. looks kind of bad so I would rather bring the trees back.

For the road fixing part, how about giving PAs the ability to remove pavements? Not many are on lately so this should give them something to do I guess.

If that doesn't work, how about having 20 body strength and 100 alignment? Take away 10 alignment per tile. Minimal grieving and must do good stuff to recover them. (Idea credit to Paradox)

A reset once every two weeks might be in its full right. The fact that people even are against the resets shows proof of the fact that people seem to believe that GV is a permanent state of playing. It isn't supposed to be.

GV is supposed to be a tutorial server, not a server so overcrowded that the people who wants to play for real pays for prem even before learning how to play. I don't have anything against inexperienced players on prem servers but I still think GV should work as intended, that is teach people how to play before they decide to go to a prem server.

Do you think it's crowded in GV Aeris? I will agree with reset if it was crowded to give space and etc.

Have you played in GV? Most of the people I know went to premium in these past months so I think it is working as intended. Only problem I'm seeing though that people are quitting on their first day or two. Was seeing new names near the starter town but days later I never see them again. Assuming they went premium or quit.

Why would you pay if you can't see any big projects going on as a sample of what you can do in prem? Small villages like SS, Tarnag, etc will show them how it's like to be in a village also, without deed of course :P So -1 with the two weeks reset Aeris.

The people on GV who stay there aren't just taking up space, most if not all tend to start up villages which help out new players big time, or take a new player under their wing to learn the ropes or simply help by giving out some useful things like seeds, rope, etc

They also help in the PA channel a lot when there's no helper online.

Wherever it is and Wurms mentioned I support it 100%, in many boards, poking the flamers away and getting a lot of people into the game, just because we're not premium, doesn't mean we're not doing anything.

And those who have been there for a long time, probably DO intend to go premium someday, their circumstances are just not good, may it be money, time or preparation, whatever it may be.

I think it'd be a good idea to allow people to destroy pavement, it may get some griefing going but their griefers; their going to find a way no matter what you do anyway.

If not that get a few (trustworthy) people (with powers to remove stuff past a certain damage amount) who wouldn't mind doing a little cleaning up around the starting deeds areas every week or two.

But before that give it a good wipe, make the starting towns look more decent and better tutorials and from there it can be maintained probably quite easily.

A reset once every two weeks might be in its full right. The fact that people even are against the resets shows proof of the fact that people seem to believe that GV is a permanent state of playing. It isn't supposed to be.

GV is supposed to be a tutorial server, not a server so overcrowded that the people who wants to play for real pays for prem even before learning how to play. I don't have anything against inexperienced players on prem servers but I still think GV should work as intended, that is teach people how to play before they decide to go to a prem server.

Do you have any idea how annoying it would be to get reset every 2 weeks? Because you want to make many things to yourself before leaving GV new tools,improve them,farming items,nails,pans,anvils and many other things and making/getting all those takes far more time than 2 weeks. You are a great sample of a player that has never been in GV and never prepared leaving to premium lands in GV.

You don't have any idea of being there.

I was there for 4 months i know.

I agree.

lol "Wild needs a map reset" as title?

Meh. GV could use a reset every month. Its purpose is to get new players into the game, not to house and keep them there.

Meh. Wild could use a reset every month. Its purpose is to get players to kill each other, not to house and keep them there.

How about we leave it as it is? alot of players who stay on would be upset.

Hahahahahahahahaha

No.

If you think this happens then you seem to be blind to all the crap that goes through that channel.

It's not help, it's just Kchat.

Hahahahahahahahaha

No.

If you think this happens then you seem to be blind to all the crap that goes through that channel.

It's not help, it's just Kchat.

Hahahahahahahahaha

No.

If you think this is what happens 24/7 then you seem to be ignorant to all the Q&A that goes through that channel.

It's chatted through sometimes, but not at all times and many times its usually to guide a new player that's asking something that can't be explained with one solid answer and results in a host of different opinions that gets a conversation going, but their usually extinguished fairly quickly.

The only reason that this happens is because GV is split into two kingdoms, it would be alleviated if they were just merged and everyone could use the same Kchat, or given a cross kingdom chat or something.

Yes, I think GV is crowded. And I don't mean crowded with people. GV is crowded with the things people leave behind. A server without premium players of course becomes crowded since everyone creates lots of things when they're new and noone on GV can destroy what they've created. People are supposed to learn how to play on GV, they're not supposed to live there. Allowing things to stay on GV for too long makes it possible to live there and that will make the server become crowded with people as well as things. Every two weeks might've been a harsh statement, but it was more a concept than an exact time. You get the idea.

Triad, really, that's not what happens.

You can have your opinion and I can have mine, but the length of the conversations are ridiculous if they're as you describe.

Whenever I see a question posted in there it's ignored  by all but a few who try to answer it. Too bad the answers are swallowed up in seconds.

The point still stands though Looroll that a lot of questions are answered by non PA players. You think we'd have enough time to help out if we were building our house for the 5th time in a month?

Weekly reset is absurd enough, monthly is doubtful. I've been playing for a month and a half, and have been online quite regularly, but I'm only just starting to get some tamed animals, and am just beginning to get a few triple harvests. A couple of days ago I managed to imp all my armour and weapons to just over 20.  I can't go to premium atm because I REALLY have no money. I intend to go to Wild when I get a job, but of course then I won't have as much time to play. If everything was reset every month, I'd have to work REALLY hard every month to get to where I am, and I won't be able to be online as much as I am at the moment. Also, think of the players who would just get going (perhaps be playing a week) and then everything would be reset - how frustrated and angry would you be? As others have said - there would be no big impressive structures to show people just what can be achieved and I know I wouldn't be bothering to play at the moment if there was a reset every month.

Yes, it's a bit cluttered, but in the grand scheme of things, new players don't really realise this until they've got settled in, by which point they're playing and will probably continue playing. I doubt there are many (if any) players who quit because it seemed a bit jumbled.

Decay rates are already a lot faster than Premium, areas do become available again - ok so they're a bit terraformed, but a map reset for the sake of more terraforming options is not worth the cost of the losses described above.

Oh, and also, think of the terraforming you'd be required to do after every map reset to build where you were before... That would take a couple of days - losing you more time...

Yes, I think GV is crowded. And I don't mean crowded with people. GV is crowded with the things people leave behind. A server without premium players of course becomes crowded since everyone creates lots of things when they're new and noone on GV can destroy what they've created. People are supposed to learn how to play on GV, they're not supposed to live there. Allowing things to stay on GV for too long makes it possible to live there and that will make the server become crowded with people as well as things. Every two weeks might've been a harsh statement, but it was more a concept than an exact time. You get the idea.

Yeah I know what you're talking about. But the problem is that it's not THAT crowded of things. If you're ever in GV, travel away from the starter area and look around inland and coast. You will see some places on coast decaying but they're disappearing quite nicely, on the JK side anyway. And yes, a lot of things are made at low ql, so they'll decay rather quickly :P

Anyway, what if I like wurm? Does that mean I have to pay prem? Unfortunately I can't do that yet. Should I quit wurm then if I'm not paying? I think everyone would love to go to prem if they can, don't see why anyone wouldn't (other than trying to avoid paying).

Not trying to make you sound bad or anything, just sounds like you're forcing the players to learn in GV then make them decide to pay or quit at that point. "Can't pay for premium? Quit wurm to make room for the other potential prem players." :P

I understand what you mean looroll, I usually avoid PA chat when a convo started.

I agree with most of the things Hordern said also.