Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Upcoming changes

I have received notice that people want more specific information about the upcoming changes so here's a small faq:

Will HotS still have basics on wild, like Gold 1?

No. We will have to come up with the best solution here. One solution is that the account is teleported to wild as usual in case of low reputation but unplayable until you pay premium. Another is that the account is banned a while instead. None feels good so there will probably be some third solution like prisons.

Will there be any deed compensations like when MR was added?

Yes, when the wild server goes premium. Possibly when the new MR home server is added as well but that is undecided.

What will happen to deed holding alts?

They will have to be made premium. The intention has never been that alts should hold deeds. It violates the idea of land hogging limits which are there to ensure that a player can control only so much land without paying for large deeds.

What will happen to storage alts?

They will have to be made premium.

What will happen to prem players that run out of money on wild? & will it be different for different kingdoms?

No players regardless of kingdom on the wild server will be able to log on until they purchase premium. I don't see the problem with this, since it is the same in a lot of other games.

The free to play functionality is to a large portion a trial period in Wurm and it is endless because time limited trials are annoying for a couple of reasons.

There are other political and moral reasons for having and endless free to play functionality as well but they don't bite on the frequent PvP situations that occur on the wild server.

I do not want teleportation to a home server in case you log on when the premium runs out. It is weird and possibly abusable. You have to stand by your decision to play on a premium only server.

When is MR home coming?

Hopefully before the summer which is.. well late June or early July. The old web server is pretty much evacuated but we may want to exchange it for a more powerful machine.

Okay, want me to pester him with questions about the stuff he wrote about? He won't answer any of them in the thread, so I opted to write something that expresses that I'm happy that he even bothered to write something like this.

If I were to write one of those responses, it'd go something like this:

"Rolf(I MUST USE HIS NAME TO GRAB HIS ATTENTION), I feel that X X X and Y Y Y And prem only, blah blah blah,PVP, etc etc etc. Keep up the great work!"

Or perhaps several hundred variations of:

"Nice work Rolf! Keep the updates coming!"

There. I just wrote everyone's responses for you. Don't bother thanking me, a pat on the back will suffice.

Will the new MR home be prem only or will it have non-prem players..might be an idea to set up MR like jk home with prem & non-prem players then have wild for raids, pvp etc

I've got a question and because I can't PM you I have to ask it here.

You said in a chat on IRC that we can pay with Wallie Cards? When can we pay with it?

A main reason for alts holding deeds is that you can't be in a homestead and a village at the same time. Maybe this is something you can change.

One solution is that the account is teleported to wild as usual in case of low reputation but unplayable until you pay premium

That solution is fine I think, because it is a descent punishment, and it may cause a few people to buy premium, maybe...

Thanks for giving solid, simple reasons for all these petty things people keep whining about.[me=Red]applauses Rolf[/me][me=Red]sits and waits for MR server...[/me]

They will have to be made premium. The intention has never been that alts should hold deeds. It violates the idea of land hogging limits which are there to ensure that a player can control only so much land without paying for large deeds.

Sorry Rolf but it does not make much sense for me as players will still be able to control large areas of land on home using basic accounts. Why will be different only because people will have to pay for premium/referrals to do the same ? Why does it make problem for one person to control 2 hs and being part of the village with all this uninhabited lands of Wurm ?

In my opinion the idea of extending bank accounts and having both the possibility to have a homestead and being part of village is worth considering.

V

Will the new MR home be prem only or will it have non-prem players..might be an idea to set up MR like jk home with prem & non-prem players then have wild for raids, pvp etc

MR home. ;)

MR is premium. So presuambly MR home is premium too.

i know this nick from somewhere....

You must have missing the several double digit pages concerning nonprems and the exact same thing you're talking about we had a couple of weeks ago somehow.

Here's one.

Another.

Doodle doo

And two giant ones I can't find right now. They may have been deleted or moved to barracks.

Honestly, it's an issue that everyone is sick to death of discussing, it just goes around in circles, so just let it sleep for a while, okay?

and...  if Stealing, Catapulting Houses, non-village PVP aren't allowed on home.  might be good to remove the options from the menus.

And if you've never seen anyone mention this(I know myself and Fullkontact have mentioned it in passing), you've never read the forums.

btw, don't know if this has been answered elsewhere but...  will prem be required to be priest and if not any ideas on the new method?

To my knowledge, Rolf hasn't explicitly stated that priests won't be able to be non-prems anymore. Presumably since they won't be able to make the pilgrimage to the WL, new non-prem priest won't be able to be made. The old ones will simply be moved to home with their priest status intact, I should think.

btw, don't know if this has been answered elsewhere but...  will prem be required to be priest and if not any ideas on the new method?

To my knowledge, Rolf hasn't explicitly stated that priests won't be able to be non-prems anymore. Presumably since they won't be able to make the pilgrimage to the WL, new non-prem priest won't be able to be made. The old ones will simply be moved to home with their priest status intact, I should think.

Nope. If they are still in Wild after the update their account simply gets locked until they become prem. So I guess if you move them to Home basic priests can still exist I think. The only loser here are BL basic priests, since they can't enter Home server.

Will you be giving us a heads-up before the update comes in?(Like say a week)

If he does, the update will probably be pushed back another month, best not to jinx it.

I have received notice that people want more specific information about the upcoming changes so here's a small faq:

Will there be any deed compensations like when MR was added?

Yes, when the wild server goes premium. Possibly when the new MR home server is added as well but that is undecided.

So to be clear, deeds will be able to be disbanded as they were during the coming of MR.. but in order to do so, do you need to prem the alt deed holder first, or will the disband option come some days ahead of time so people can prepare for the changes?

If he does, the update will probably be pushed back another month, best not to jinx it.

I don't mean an expected release date. I mean he's completely done with boats, and it will be in the next update. That should hopefully give at least a few days advance notice.

Heres what happens when the Dooms day device is set off (aka premium only wild)

3 Options, why because 3 is just a good number when analysing anything, and a triangle has three sides, thats why :)

Option 1: Nothing.  Very simply put every thing goes exactly how Rolf wants it to, everyone respects the needs and wants that rolf has dreamed up with wanting to turn wild premium only.  Somehow BL survives, MR thrives and JK gains more recruits than before.  The wanting of an entire Premium only experience coupled with PVP entices 100% of all premium players to move to wild.

Option 2: Mass exodus.  Hots/jk People run to home becuase more than 50% of their towns consist of non premium players.  Kingdom numbers deminish over the next few months as deeds run out of money since alt deed holders are lost.  MR stays relatively the same until it realises there is no one to fight anymore, and the MR towns turn to civil war and change between kingdoms to be able to fight eachother.  Most JK towns being a mix of Premium/Non premium and basically in a constant pacifist state opt to move to home and conduct gorilla war efforts against Wild towns once boats are implemented.  BL ceases to exist except for 1 town, the last hold of Eir as all recruits are lost becuase of non-premium not being an option.  Wild becomes a no mans land except the longboats of viking JKers running skirmishes against the last hold of coastal cities.  MR home is introduced and numbers on wild drop to 30 players average daily with spikes around 60. (basic Silron VS LO in gold 1)

Option 3: the butterfly effect: Simply put the last straw on the camals back.  The exodus of wild to home causes griefing on the home server beyond anything the GM/CM team can control.  Becuase there is no prison server set up people begin to be banned left and right, people lose their friends resulting in people losing interest in wurm.  MR is the last existing Kingdom on Wild, but becuase of their distance from JK home they dont see any action.  JK home is turned on itself and rather than buy premium to escape the noob madness that insues they find another game, which in the next few months many games are coming out that closely resemble the basic fundamentals of Wurm.  all is lost.

the worst part of any exodus in history is that the reasons for exodus leave such a bad taste in someones mouth they refuse to ever return.  not because they dont feel safe or they dont love their homes, its becuase they never want to relive anything of the sort ever again.

all i can say to Rolf is to check the numbers in a 1 week period of how many people playing on wild are in fact non-premium.  as in people who have their main as a non premium character.  make a flow chart of premium/premium alts/Non-premium alts/Non-premium.  of course the majority of players are going to be Premium players, and probably their non-premium alts coming in 2nd.  I would wage that the 3rd tier majority is going to be the non-premium players, followed by paid for alts (priests).  which means you are going to lose anywhere from 1/4th of the server to 1/3+, followed by anywhere from 10-20% of Premium players who are premium but chose to play home after losing a majority of their townsmen.

personally i am already moving all my characters to home so they arent locked out if i ever wish to return to the game, most have had premium at one time or another, which if rolf could code in that if you pay once for premium you can always access wild... would be nice, at least there would be a paycheck involved with alt abuse initially...

Looks like people forget THIS IS A GAME....

If you are so worried QUIT playing.

Jarosz...

----

You people worry too much about a game.

There are 6.6+ billion people in the world, and 1,355,110,631 of them use the internet, and a good % of them can play wurm online on their computers.

internet usage from 2000-2008 has gone up 275.4 %

So more people are on the internet all the time.

Rolf hasn't started really advertising the game yet, so if we lose a few people from a good decision on his part, so be it.

I highly doubt out of a billion people he doesn't at least bring the population back to normal.

So, could we stop whining everytime a decision is made that you don't like.

Get over it or quit playing.

[me=Red]pictures ungrateful whiny kids around Christmas time.[/me]

Red you must be ultra sensive because i don't see anyone whining in this thread. Only questions, suggestions and regular what will probably happened scenarios... Do you suggest we should blindly accept anything that's being changed in game ? Comments are that what is most precious for devs when they are constructive.

Regards

V

Looks like people forget THIS IS A GAME....

If you are so worried QUIT playing.

Jarosz...

----

You people worry too much about a game.

There are 6.6+ billion people in the world, and 1,355,110,631 of them use the internet, and a good % of them can play wurm online on their computers.

internet usage from 2000-2008 has gone up 275.4 %

So more people are on the internet all the time.

Rolf hasn't started really advertising the game yet, so if we lose a few people from a good decision on his part, so be it.

I highly doubt out of a billion people he doesn't at least bring the population back to normal.

So, could we stop whining everytime a decision is made that you don't like.

Get over it or quit playing.

[me=Red]pictures ungrateful whiny kids around Christmas time.[/me]

looks like you cant take a joke, nor analysis.  Yes there are tons of people who use the internet and over the last 5-6 years i have been playing wurm that 200 some % of increase in internet users has lead to a small surge and large draw back in wurm every time something new occurs.

all in all its called sarcasm, becuase i truely believe most of option 1 is going to happen, thats why i named it the dooms day device.  if you know anything of history namely the turn of the milenium scenarios you would understand that pun... does Y2K ring a bell? or how about back in 999 when people thought the end of the world was near and the pope was going to turn into the devil?

in the end people come down from their hilltops of choice for death and return to normal life, thats a life scenario.  sadly this is a game, and people dont come back from the hilltops.

but good thing is population in an online game is like bunny rabbits constantly attacked by rabid wolves, booms and low numbers.

*Takes out his Steel and Flint* Flame War anyone?

A main reason for alts holding deeds is that you can't be in a homestead and a village at the same time. Maybe this is something you can change.

No, would be wrong. "Examine> Winterday He is strong and got a good reserve of fat. He bears the mark of Mayor of Winterland. He bears the mark of Lawyer of Palisadia." That just looks wrong.

So i'm assuming that non prem's still on wild will be transfered over once wild goes prem? My account is non prem on wild and I can't run the game in safe mode. My computer will crash if I take it out of safe mode however.

What about non prems that have money stored ingame? Will that be transfered over as well, or will it be distributed to the traders ingame?