Sign in to follow this  
Lovely_Rita

Families

People should be able to get married and have children.  I have to say that I'm preferable to this, because I play with my own husband.  It's odd that marriage isn't a thing in this game already.  Other MMOs I've played have weddings.  So getting married shouldn't be that big of a deal.  Some new objects to build.  Wedding cakes.  Wedding arches.  There are already gold rings.  

Children is the big change.  I think it would add a LOT of interest and complexity to the game, and tug on our innate biological drive to procreate.  I'm a girl, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The children could have AI and just follow the main character around and never grow up, but it would be less interesting, I think, than having them be alt characters for the player.  They could be born with affinities or skill bonuses based on the parents' skills.  So it might be advantageous to play as a child or grandchild or great-grandchild of your first characters.  I don't know if any of you have ever played the Sims, but they have a fairly advanced program for children now. The kids can learn different skills in each stage of growing up so that by the time they get to be adults, they've had a head start over their parents.  The Guild also does this.  If you give your kids certain toys, they will have more skill advantages as an adult.  Like say, giving them blocks to play with as a child might increase their carpentry skill.  Of course, in Wurm, everyone will be giving their kids the best toys.  90QL blocks with COC or whatever.  And we already have puppets and yoyos, so there are a couple already in the game.  Then if you create some really good offspring, you can sell those child characters if you want.   

One problem might be the advent of game prostitutes, or in other words, people that sell themselves to others for sex because of their superior genetics.  So one way to avoid this would be to require that people live together on the same deed for a certain period of time, like 3 game months or 2 real weeks, or maybe they have to spend so many hours playing together at the same time, and be married or something before they can have a baby together.  So if someone WERE to try to sell their genetic material, it would at least be a bit of a hassle.  It wouldn't be like they could just go around having children with every other player in a 5000 square radius.      

• Like 3

I would like the idea of having last names in the game but that's about it.  No children.

Why not -  my next alt may as well be from an actual marriage. 

• Like 1

I'm not into anything that would give Wurm more NPCs, but marriage, sure. Maybe someway to indicate familial group (last/family names?), like a mini-alliance. 

Be funny once you sell an account.  Be like the black sheep of the family still carrying the family last name.  lol

• Like 1

Here we are aproaching RP now, something I like alot myself.

I'd very much like to see more RP, maybe an own server for RPers even.

If my burnt out librarian's brain ever heal (and I finish my huge projects in WO) I will make a RP server in WU. :P

In my other game that I play since 2008 families were just introduced now as an actual ig function

and there the extended familie/clan individuals achivements also adds on the families status.

Now here a Mayor is not the same thing as a Mayor there but I am sure we can think up other fields of achivements that could count. Skills etc.

For a married couple, I don't know what the benefits could be in Wurm, other than RP.

I'm afraid the owners intention have never been to develope a more sort of RP gameplay :(

About a kid npc I'd be against that, I see no good use.

But I can definately see a wide range of various boosts and additions to the game that can be developed

from an extended family/alliance/kingdom sort of situation where for example many brewers give some sort of boost etc.

• Like 2

Oh ingame marriage so 50% of players can have a bitter divorce.
No, go play the Sims.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Oh ingame marriage so 50% of players can have a bitter divorce.
No, go play the Sims.

My thoughts exactly: imagine the divorces. 

• Like 2

Probably a interesting idea in a non-MMORPG setting, while well thought out I'm not sure this game needs it. Currently the only other game that has something planned like this would be, Chronicles of Elyria. Please take a read I posted the link below while not exactly Wurm it is unique and might be the first MMORPG system developed around the notion. With Wurm's background it just doesn't seem likely for them to implement something so large with the team being on the slow side to make improvements. It took us years to experience bridges, I shudder to think about families. The two games you cited are single player games, I've played them both. But I commend you for a well executed suggestion, and I hope you forgive my point of view.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/414/Design-Journal-5--Families--Family-Selection

I don't like this idea. Tried to see the benefit in it, but can't. -1 from me.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:37 AM, Lovely_Rita said:

One problem might be the advent of game prostitutes, or in other words, people that sell themselves to others for sex because of their superior genetics.  So one way to avoid this would be to require that people live together on the same deed for a certain period of time, like 3 game months or 2 real weeks, or maybe they have to spend so many hours playing together at the same time, and be married or something before they can have a baby together.

Now you go and ruin this whole concept! One of the benefits of this children system would be to breed them and sell them off for huge amounts of silver. Also a casual stud service could be arranged for payments. I would not call this prostitution by any means since it is purely a business proposition with the "pleasure" aspect having nothing to do with it.

Parents attached to them for emotional reasons could instead just farm them out to others for extended periods of time to lessen the guilt syndrome. They should also be subject to a special KoS category for those who don't like all the noisy high pitched shrieks they make while running around aimlessly. Also they should come into the world at their fixed childish age so that they can never rebel effectively against whatever uses their parents see fit to put them to.

Let the silver flow! Don't stifle these free trade money making opportunities with trifling RL moral contrivances, as our fond Wurm lands are currently immune from its effects. Wurm children, mere pixels to be put to the best use of their "parents". A great idea you have!

=Ayes=

On 2/24/2017 at 5:55 PM, Greyfox said:

No, go play the Sims.

Okay, let's talk about other games.  The Sims is a multiBILLION, that's Billion with a B, dollar franchise.  We wouldn't want Wurm to steal any of their success.  That would be terrible.  In fact, why not remove everything in Wurm that already exists in other games.  Cooking -- Sims already has it.  Get rid of that.  There are hundreds of other hack and slash games, so why have aggressive creatures in Wurm?  Why not play World of Warcraft?  If you like the Sandbox aspect, why not play Minecraft, or the Sims?  If we only include things in Wurm that don't exist in any other games, there wouldn't be a Wurm game to play.    

The problem with the Sims is that you don't get to leave your house really.  You can go to the park, but that's boring.  Why not take this game and add to it some things to make THIS game more enjoyable, rather than telling people to go play other games?  Unless the makers of Wurm are just into excluding everyone who doesn't play Wurm for the reasons they want them to play it.  Hey, I have stock in EA, so the less competition EA has, the better for me.     

Edited by Lovely_Rita

On 2/25/2017 at 1:29 AM, Conjuror said:

With Wurm's background it just doesn't seem likely for them to implement something so large with the team being on the slow side to make improvements. It took us years to experience bridges, I shudder to think about families. The two games you cited are single player games, I've played them both. But I commend you for a well executed suggestion, and I hope you forgive my point of view.

I'm not sure what multiplayer versus single player has to do with it.  This could be as simple as adding wedding arches and a wedding cake and allowing people to pretend to be married.  Or it can be as complex as the developers think they can handle.  Since some of the functionality I suggested is already present in the game, I don't see how there would be much to add.  Just a few extra data variables to connect relatives to each other and some flags to the skills list to flag whether characters have genetic bonuses to a skill.  If you had actual children, though, as in they look and act like children, that would be more complicated.  About bridges, that was a change to the underlying game engine, so I could see how that would be particularly difficult to code.  

2 hours ago, Lovely_Rita said:

Okay, let's talk about other games.  The Sims is a multiBILLION, that's Billion with a B, dollar franchise.  We wouldn't want Wurm to steal any of their success.  That would be terrible.  In fact, why not remove everything in Wurm that already exists in other games.  Cooking -- Sims already has it.  Get rid of that.  There are hundreds of other hack and slash games, so why have aggressive creatures in Wurm?  Why not play World of Warcraft?  If you like the Sandbox aspect, why not play Minecraft, or the Sims?  If we only include things in Wurm that don't exist in any other games, there wouldn't be a Wurm game to play.    

The problem with the Sims is that you don't get to leave your house really.  You can go to the park, but that's boring.  Why not take this game and add to it some things to make THIS game more enjoyable, rather than telling people to go play other games?  Unless the makers of Wurm are just into excluding everyone who doesn't play Wurm for the reasons they want them to play it.  Hey, I have stock in EA, so the less competition EA has, the better for me.     

In the Sims you marry an NPC and have NPC children in a single player environment.   Attempting to translate that to a multiplayer world could only work if you marry NPC and have NPC children.  Marriage between players that creates player children would just create a moderator nightmare. 
If you want to date and or marry another player that is between you and that player.  Nothing wrong with doing so, but no reason to code in marriage or ingame children.   You could, in fact, even hold a marriage ceremony in game.  I personally know a couple who held their marriage in real life and then 3 hours later had a ceremony in a game aswell.
If you and your husband want to get married in game, find a priest and have it done.  Nothing stops you there.  Nothing in game actually stops you from having children either.
Making marriage and having children a game mechanic though is just silly.

• Like 3

Ewww the only way I want children is if it is a alt farming system. Please don't call them children. Would love an npc alt that I can tell what to do and have some bonus skills when they're fully trained or grow up or whatever. It could even be seriously limited with requirements if need be.  If you want to get married role play it like you can in any game.

+1 to maybe a few symbols of marriage but that's about it. Can we finally get those jewelry items already?

Adding children would probably bring a lot of problems regarding the depiction of children in a toxic enviroment. Maybe it will atract bad publicity when the videos of players training shieldbash on their offsprings get uploaded to youtube, etc.  The same goes for children avatars.

While I like the idea in theory, the possible cons outweight the pros. Maybe you can "adopt" a pet, instead of "caring for", put a title attached to the animal of your choice, or a custom name.

+1 to marriage, a couple of new items as props would be nice, I wouldnt go as far as shared ownership of land and things like that, but maybe sharing a last name with your significant other.