Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Gender Swap - Alright, Let's Do This!

Choices having consequences is good, but appearance and gender don't have any consequence in-game to begin with, so why not let us change it for a small fee?

• Like 1

1)  It was a game feature in the past in Wurm, so the code exists

2) Bdew's server has an item you can buy at a trader for like 10s, a silver scalpel (ouch), so pretty easy to implement  

If the current generation of game devs were not around back then and are perplexed on how to do this, I am sure bdew can whisper in their ear.  Just make sure he has nothing in his hands.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

how i picture Yldrania now...

GAYeP.jpg

so yea truly needs to bring cosmetics changes....

i cant see why not bring back mirrors in traders.

like some said make them cost a few silvers, + people can trade them so might boost market a bit too (after all magical chests are often sold and bought). just be sure starter ones are non tradable. silver starter non trade and gold merchand perhaps?

maybe add more than just mirrors? could be nice if we could have an hairstyling furniture so can change as we feel (with a cooldown for regrowth :P. mirror would still be superior as it would be instant ) 

dying layers for armors and boats was a step in the right direction but lets not end here. 

• Like 2

or add a new starter town NPC:  the trader, the merchant, the bartender, and the barber (medieval barbers did surgery as well as haircuts, so a quick snipsnip genderchange would be their thing)

Let villages "hire" an NPC for their village and surrounding players to make use of (50s, unlimited uses) or players can travel to the nearest starter town where one can always be found (5s per use fee). Players of course will be more inclined to first seek out that neighbor of theirs who always has to have the best of everything .... more visiting closeby villages that act as a mini center for their area.

Along maybe with a towncrier (shouts random latest news from wurm online, in funny ways), a village recruiter (npc by a village notice board advising players what villagers are willing to help new layers) , and an apprenticeship portal (repeatable portal to a one person, instantly resetting tutorial instance, where they can learn stuff if they like, or bypass it if they like, or play a week or three of wurm first then come back to learn all the stuff they wished they'd known earlier). New players might find the activity curious enough that they poke around the starter town a bit before consulting the village recuiting board and heading off into the wilderness on their own.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

The feature has been implemented already, it was announced as golden mirrors a while back, but its not been implemented. 

+1 again, I still have a female character trapped inside a male model.

• Like 3

+1

Maybe we could alter all of those yellow potions so they will change gender? - make them actually useful.

But no, it is obviously easier to change into a zombie, a flowerpot or a barrel than to change the gender of the player model, what am I thinking. :) 

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

No reason to overcomplicate this with items and NPCs. Just let us change gender by drinking enough transmutation liquid.

Following diarrhea is optional to implement.

• Cat 1

What's the word? Why hasn't this been done yet?

Edited by Wiolo

I'm giving a bump to this.

And I want someone to tell me the current state of development/priority this has. Because this thread is 2 years old now.

Edited by Wiolo

On 7/17/2018 at 9:59 AM, Yldrania said:

The feature has been implemented already, it was announced as golden mirrors a while back, but its not been implemented. 

I want to ask questions about this, just to confirm: Are you saying that there was an official announcement that "Golden Mirrors" will eventually become a thing in WO? Could someone point me to a link to this announcement?

To be more specific: I'm guessing that Golden Mirrors will be a lot like Silver Mirrors, except it will also allow players to change gender? Will be a paid / cash shop item?

Also, what about Wurm Unlimited players? Perhaps, will WU get something like this (perhaps an admin command) eventually - perhaps 1 or 2 years after it gets implemented in WO?

Fairly sure they're already in the game, they just can't be bought or found anywhere. Functionally they work, they just haven't added them.

Why not? Who knows. Web shop was something that seemed to be thrown around but now the mention of it just gets a reply of "yeah don't expect it anytime soon"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thundercraft said:

To be more specific: I'm guessing that Golden Mirrors will be a lot like Silver Mirrors, except it will also allow players to change gender? Will be a paid / cash shop item?

While I can't find the original announcement which is now.... like... over 2 years old, here are some topics where it came up by staff as confirmed.

• Like 3

Shame they're bound to the same fate of death the cash shop has been dealt.

4 hours ago, Madnath said:

Shame they're bound to the same fate of death the cash shop has been dealt.

The frustration lies with the fact that they have no interest in implementing the cash shop, and as a result they have not released something that is completely doable by the team and currently available and waiting on implementation. A feature the players have been screaming for since the dawn of time. Is not a matter of it not being able to be done or "not a priority" but more like "maybe someday we'll implement it, but we can't ruin it by giving it to people now." 

There is absolutely no reason why this can't be done. Hell, put a purchase option in the Store for a $30 Euros gender swap, and have someone go and change a 0 to a 1 or vice versa on some line of code on the character sheet and vioala! Instant happy player. I mean, how many people would use this feature? You could probably hire some poor sod to do this change exclusively as a volunteer...

Senseless.

I kind of like this idea of gender change, but i also like meta in games. A gender change is kind of a big deal to an avatar. Everyone wants this with a simple cash value to be able to change. Why not have some sort of in game items needed to collect, then  craft  and then some sorcery and even more, so you will be able to change your avatars gender. Once the gender change is done, seeing this is a big deal (metagaming). Maybe a few skills will take a hit also. (wait I'm I'm a man now man +1.00000 Strength,  -2.00000 Soul... (wait now I'm I'm a woman -2.00000 Strength, +1.00000 soul....) just example , you will loss more skill then you gain for the gender change.  metagaming after all ;)  

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Adding bonuses and penalties to genders is baaaaaaad. 

You miss read the idea. it's not a bonuses or penalties for the gender. its for the gender change. if you change back again, you will have the same stats as you had before.

17 minutes ago, gorgian said:

You miss read the idea. it's not a bonuses or penalties for the gender. its for the gender change. if you change back again, you will have the same stats as you had before.

Why though?

Why on earth would you penalise someone who a) misclicked when first registering their favourite gaming name or b) doesn't like the way certain members of the community treats their toon based on perceived gender of the player or c) plays toons that match their rl gender identity where possible and, if that gender identity has changed or is changing, want their gaming toons to match?

I think asking people to pay real money or silvers for that change is kinda crappy, when it confers no benefit beyond happier players and in some cases avoidance of uncomfortable behaviour from other players, but to add penalties in game for changing would be adding insult to injury.

Seriously, just let people craft an item or if you must charge for it, make it cheap and available from all in game traders.

• Like 2

In fact, I am all for implementing gender change. Just make it not too easy maybe, not lots of changes in short time. And it should not be for free. When players have to pay 5s to correct a mistype in deed name, correcting a wrongly chosen gender should be worth the same. Maybe bit more, but not too much.

• Like 2