Sign in to follow this  
Trooper

Disintegrate rework/balance

I finally got a try out a Mag priest a few days ago and was surprised at just how hit or miss this spell is (and its mostly miss) and its not a secret that Disintegrate needs some love.

I think the base problem is there is no scale of success with the spell, it basically has 3 results; it fails entirely, doing nothing(large chance); succeeds, but does nothing(moderate chance, and if it does nothing isn't that still a failure?); or succeeds and destroys the tile(small/tiny chance). So its been perculating in the back of my mind and the solution, I believe, is that it needs a proper scale for succesful casts. Obviously the % numbers need to be balanced properly so it doesn't overperform, especially in PvP but I do think there is room for improvement. The following should give an idea as to what i was thinking, and remember the difficulty of the spell makes the very high powered casts rare.

Less than 50 power, cast succeeds and is ineffective.

50 to 69 power. Cast succeeds.

If used on a rock cave wall, % of the amount remaining is removed.
If used on an ore vein, % of the amount remaining in the vein is removed.
If used on a reinforced tile, the wall stands strong.

70 to 89 power. Cast succeeds and is strong.

If used on a rock cave wall, % of the amount remaining in the vein is removed and % chance to destroy the wall.
If used on an ore vein, % of the amount remaining in the vein is removed.
If used on a reinforced tile, % chance to destroy the reinforcement, leaving a rock cave wall.

90 to 95 power. Cast succeeds and is very strong.

If used on a rock cave wall, wall is destroyed.
If used on an ore vein, % of the amount remaining in the vein is removed and % chance to destroy the vein.
If used on a reinforced tile, % chance to destroy the reinforcement, leaving a rock cave wall. % chance to destroy tile entirely.

95 to 100 power. Cast succeeds and is incredibly strong.

If used on an ore vein, vein is destroyed.
If used on a reinforced tile, % chance to destroy the reinforcement, leaving a rock cave wall. % chance to destroy tile entirely.

100+ power. Cast is devastatingly strong.

If used on a reinforced tile, tile is destroyed.

Now this is just the options that i could think of, I'm sure others have something to add. But the main point being it needs to scale alot better.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by Trooper

+1

A good supply of locks (or chopped veg) and you can stonewall like crazy, with out fail.  So.... we need something like the op suggests or even better.

I think disintegrate should really be more in line with the 50 actions mining system or the stonewall spell.

You still have to get favour so why is it such a big deal to have a long timer 100% successful disintegrate spell in line with how stonewall works?

Only problem would be the ore veins, a % of material/actions would be removed in that case.

Just my input on a spell i don't think is worth anything in game, at the moment, as it is. ;)

@lawurmfavour you could grind, save and burst somewhere to cause damage or do a job really quickly when needed(maybe.. should remain balanced .. somehow); long cast timer.. pff.. if it's 100% success who cares if it's 5sec or 200 cast time? 

@TrooperDid you just get the ability or bought a priest able to do it..; spell's success is mostly linked to... various stats and environment factor.... are we sure that you're aware of these things?

Some way of removing off-deed reinforced tiles in a sensible fashion would be lovely - +1

+1

omg yes, I've been trying to disintegrate a reinforced off-deed wall and have dozens of "successful failures" I'm just about to give up.

also, is there any actual way to see what power the cast is?

I think it is fine as it is.

Reinforcements were never meant to be removable on a whim.

I have removed quite a few reinforcements while being mag champ, some were fast and others took hours.

It's obvious as to why ^ would -1 that makes anything appear less safe.
It's obviously not 'Fine' how it is or you wouldn't have such an opinion split over weather it is or not, lol.

As a pvper, this is just territory i'll leave to the devs if they even want to change it. 
I could see a 'freedom isles' boost for disintegration and leaving pvp how it is?
If reinforcements are off deed and you're on freedom, just deed it and remove what you need to remove, it costs some silver but money well worth if you're gonna save hours right?

Edited by Mclavin

Even if it was made easier for mag to cast this, how many mag priests are there on freedom anyways? I know of 2 and there maybe 1 or 2 more floating around out there.

I would hate to see it made easier to cast, you would see reinforcements vanishing that should not in folks perimeters, anywhere else deeding the spot is simple enough.

I'm a freedomer and I have a Mag priest (anyone wanna see a freak for a friendly fee?) - still I say reinforcements are to be left as is. Tens of thousands of offdeed tiles are protected by them in cave tunnels.

It is really not that expensive to deed over the reinforced tiles you absolutely need to get rid of - unless at a spot where perimeters would disallow it.

On 22/02/2017 at 3:39 PM, Trooper said:

95 to 100 power. Cast succeeds and is incredibly strong.

100+ power. Cast is devastatingly strong.

If used on a reinforced tile, tile is destroyed.

Welp, max cast power is 99... so here goes the top options.

I do like the idea of being able to remove some of an ore vein amount... not in such a drastic % or completely though. Was pondering making the suggestion and i stumbled on that one.

I wouldn't change the way it's working on cave walls... no need to be more tedious. I'd go for more stable reinforcement remove since it's already possible on freedom but utterly random... and I wouldn't change a thing on the PvP servers.

As for the whole 'nope, reinforced walls shouldn't be possible to remove on freedom without a deed'... well, the enclosure rule is long gone... so why something like that allowing undeeded permanent enclosure would remain.

Old post but im new with that spell, and i just dont get it.... you can deed any area and remove the reinforced tile in a few clic but need few hour with that spell. Any Dev can explain WHY that spell so useless ?   One side there a very easy way to remove and the other side almost impossible....

One side costs silver to drop a deed, and another costs time.  Different strokes for different folks....  Disintegrate is fine after the recent changes.