Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Citadel vs Pingperfect

Not being sure which of these two services were better than the other and hearing some people bash Citadel while others praised I decided to run a server off each and see which actually did the better job. I was going to run this comparison for a month however, events made this impossible.

Citadel: Nice control panel that should make it easy to set up a game server. Easy and hassle free. Had to pay extra to get a server in the U.S. so it ended up costing $15.01 for 2 gig for one month. Sent in one ticket and it was answered in a reasonable amount of time. Replied to it and it has taken far too long for them to answer.

I'd like to tell you how well the server ran but I can't. After mucking about for several hours the server would not connect to anything. I did get it to run the Adventure map for a few minutes so I logged out of the game to change GM powers and after restarting the server it wouldn't show up on the server list and I couldn't connect via IP. That was the one and only time I could connect to the Citadel server. Since that time it has never worked. They told me to upload the custom map with their File Manager but...it wasn't a custom map. It was the Adventure map that came with the game. Just the same I did try and upload a custom map. Their File Manager couldn't connect to anything. Got a 404 error message every time. I could upload a custom map using Filezilla but fat lot of good that did because no matter what map I used the server would not show up on the server list and I could not connect via IP. They have been NO HELP in resolving this issue which is most certainly on their end. Citadel's score. FAIL.

Pingperfect: Nice control panel that makes it easy to set up a game server. Maybe one or two fewer doodads but nothing to make a difference. Cost for 3gig was $17.88 for one month. I had a server up and running in about ten minutes, logged on and was walking about the game world. Logged off, made a GM. Logged on and everything worked fine. Uploaded a custom map with Filezilla and set the map up in about ten minutes. Started it up and was walking about the game world. Everything was easy and hassle free with some nice FAQs to guide me. Pingperfect's score PASS

What do I think? This is just my opinion but after the experience I had with the two companies I would have to advise people to stay away from Citadel. While they have a nicer mod set up but what good does it do you if your server does not run? They have so many issues as noted by other people that I would tell Wurmians to go with someone else and stay away fro Citadel Servers like the plague. On the other hand Pingperfect was just as easy to set up as Citadel and the server actually worked and the cost per gig is less. And since this is all about servers i would say that having a working server is a plus!

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

Longest I've ever had to wait for a reply from Pingperfect has been 8 mins never longer. I've had nothing but professional help every time so I have never thought to switch to a different host for my WU server.

Always good warning when they going to be updating etc..

I recently conducted a similar test as well. I actually own a long standing internet services company so my primary WU servers are hosted in my own farm. But I wanted to test out some of the choices out there. Disclaimer: We do game hosting but individual game server instances isn't our main business. We do rent cloud and bare bones servers to a number of clans/guilds/etc. Not as many companies offer WU as an option so I wanted to test what's out there.

PingPerfect Notes

Ping has the typical offerings of any provider that uses TCAdmin to power their game servers would have. Easy backup and restore tool, not to difficult to update settings. Uploaded and downloaded a number of things from the FTP server to test speed. They have an automated script to install AGO's mod loader. They recently moved (Like Arkonick's server) my test server to another box and was well informed in advance, and notified after the moved was complete. The old server wasn't taken down right away and noticed both my and Ark had duplicate servers online, which could be confusing to players. That was literally the only slightly negative thing I could say about them. Customer service was fast in that test and intelligent responses given.

CitadelServers Notes

Citadel did a bit more customizing of their TCAdmin installation, similar features to Ping. The config settings interface was a bit cleaner than Ping's. Did a support ticket, got a fast response each time but wasn't completely satisfied with the responses. One thing I really like about their interface was the ability to see exactly how much CPU and ram your server instance was using via a visual meter on the main page. That I feel was a nice touch. Their server offering was pretty similar price wise. Over the holidays both Ping and Citadel were offering a discount. Ping's discount applied only to the 1st month whereas Citadel's was a permanent percent off. They also have an auto installation script to install AGO's mod loader as well as they offer an installation of the live map viewer. Tested their FTP server up and down good speed. Like Ping over the past two months my server got moved to another box. This was done without warning but I was notified that the move occurred. Bad customer service move in my opinion but at least I didn't wake up wondering wtf when I tried to login in the morning.

In conclusion: Performance wise both servers did well under my testing scenarios. Decent pricing from both. Citadel has a few extra bells and whistles but could do a better job in the customer service department. I also plan to run a couple month test soon on BlueFang.

Citadel was quick to help us for the first couple of days, but after that their customer service became extremely slow. For a ticket marked Urgent, the longest they've made us wait -- so far -- has been 10 days. Generally it takes many, many hours, even if the server is completely down and there is nothing we can do but wait for them.

With Pingperfect my tickets i leave default moderate and Lyon gets with me in mins the longest I had to wait this past year has been 8 mins. Hell I even got a support ticket answered and the issue dealt with while he was at game con convention lol that's dedication to your company.

Too bad I've already paid for the month. Pingperfect sounds much better.

I'm not trying to down other companies but just giving my exp for past year with Pingperfect and my WU server. I pay way less than other companies for my 3gs ram to host my server on. I could up to 4 gigs a month for price I'd pay for a bluefang server and ram is very important when it comes to the objects on a server.

I mean honest truth when WU came out I never tried Pingperfect and when I saw how much WU servers where costing I was like dam. I was on a budget bad that month so I went with the cheap guys Pingperfect and I thought I'd get lower QL servers cause it was so cheap for the server. I was proven wrong and am to this date glad I was on a budget and was forced to go with them. I noticed my Brother has a Citadel server and he can't even open the log files in a window live his pages just read blank and refresh the entire time. I don't have that issue with Pingperfect. I showed him how much cheaper it was and how much easier the system is on there side and I don't think he will be renewing his sub when it runs out.

i would like to see the admin panel to see wich option i have at pingperfect. sad on the website from this company there is no demo and for just to see what all i can do, i dont like to pay for a testserver.

is it possible that you can post some screens?

Eject

i found now some videos on youtube, it looks like its the same panel like citadel

have the german servers too and is it easy to connect servers? maybe i move my 3 servers to them

Eject

Edited by Eject

We are with Arkonick on this....

We were with Citadel Servers for 8 weeks....terrible....seriously terrible, customer support was non existent almost....

roughly 3 weeks ago we switched to Ping Perfect...the BEST thing we could have ever done....

Tickets answered within minutes, we even have direct skype to James Lyon from there....incredible customer service....

Take our word for it, switch asap :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

• Like 1

If you need a tool ask if they can they will make it for you. Lyon is a champ there he seems to be the guy always answering my tickets. I've had my share over past year and I've always been taken good care of.

I run a straight server with 3gigs thats it no extras and I've had no reall server issues for past year. Ony issue I had was where my DB got courropted that one time not sure how it happened but it had to be on my end cause haven't had it since.

Personal note I'm not trying to down a server provider that has never been my case. I just simply report on my exp with the company I'm with and any exp I've had out side of that.

I was running a Conan Exiles server with Citadel and had alot of server corruption for no reasons.

I tried adding map for my brother and it was more to it than what I'm use to having to do.

That don't mean I say Citadel is bad just I haven't had a good track record

1 minute ago, Arkonick said:

Personal note I'm not trying to down a server provider that has never been my case. I just simply report on my exp with the company I'm with and any exp I've had out side of that.

I was running a Conan Exiles server with Citadel and had alot of server corruption for no reasons.

I tried adding map for my brother and it was more to it than what I'm use to having to do.

That don't mean I say Citadel is bad just I haven't had a good track record

Same issues here with my 7 days server. my biggest problem is with the long waiting for response atm

they don't have that to my knowledge but if you ask them I'm sure they can build something in a day or 2 for you.

I have my own I update once a week on my own web site http://www.timothyjsmith.0fees.us/globalmap.html

I've never asked them if they could add any thing but if Citadel did I'm sure Lyon and his team can with ease you just need ask them.

We have asked James a week or so ago, he said its on the cards :)

Valiance and Kaylie

that would be awesome, at citadel i can update the map with a cronjob at anytime i like

Just asked James again right now, this was his reply.

Currently working on it, should have it done by end of this week fingers crossed

Valiance and Kaylie

• Like 1

oh sweet thats good to know then I can stop doing it the one way.

Thanks for the praise guys. We do try our best.

If you have suggestions for the game panel on how we could make it better/look cleaner just let us know and we will add it to the todo list!