Sign in to follow this  
yetian

Frontier

Hey all, 

Myself and a friend are going to be deeding somewhere in the forest around frontier to build a hunting outpost. 

I can see that frontier in the past was a very large deed, now it's minimal size decaying and with just walls left. There are also the 4 trader deeds around the place. 

I was wondering what happened to the deed as it would make a great forest inn. ?

I've lived on Deli, Pristine and now I have a deed on Xanadu. I don't know much of the history of Independence. 

Edited by yetian

Just curious as an Independance resident, where is Frontier on Inde?

By the name of it, i'm hoping it's some isolated settlement falling to the encroachment of the wild in an area worth exploring.

I'd never heard of it before, but then again I don't follow news about individual deeds normally.

Yeah it's West of the crater and between the 2 tundra areas. We are hoping to build a hunting outpost, friendly to passing travelers. ?

Just interested. We will deed nearby. 

Edited by yetian

You found Frontier! Yes, you're correct it has been bigger years ago, I can't help with its actual history though.

I can remember my noobie self running around those forests and tundra, and it was a blessing to recognize it, like "oh that's near Frontier! now I know where I am. Darn hell hound" :D

I passed by there just the other week, and was sad it will fall. I was wondering if I should do something to keep the name alive. I never knew the owners.

Tristanc, on the west coast highway alongside Inner Sea, near Port Kincan, there are still signs pointing to the road south, to Frontier. :)

Edited by Anarres

Thanks, Anarres!  Your directions allowed me to find it on the map and yeah, it's very far away from the part of Independance where i live and roam (NNE).

If i am ever in that area I will try to find a way to visit, just to have an adventure exploring old ruins.

Good luck with your hunting outpost, Yetian.  I hope it works out fine.

Thanks. :)

I'd happily take the deed to keep the name up, though on a smaller scale than before,  if the owners were around and didn't want it anymore.

Otherwise i'll just setup in the general vicinity.

Edited by yetian

The old Frontier has been the largest deed on Indy - people said so. When I started several years ago the whole forest was deeded and in the middle they had penned the troll king, fenced  in between some rings of stonewalls. Remember when a bunch of people lured him through the forests, exciting times, long ago. He could escape one day, btw ...

Really wish you good luck with your deed, Yetian, not sure what you want to hunt here. We have sometimes a troll, mostly wolves, sheep or bulls around and every now an then a hen ;)

Thanks. ?

I've found tons of Trolls, hell hounds, bears, wolves and spiders. Where my Xanadu deed is, any of those is an event. ?

No time to write a full reply here so early in the morning but go ahead and deed around it. Theres actually 9 traders in the area, all were once part of frontier. I believe it was 211x201 before i shrinked it. Owned by "Elite". A player who has quit the game several years ago.

• Like 1

Frontier! The ultimate exercise in Wurm deed excessiveness at minimal cost! Yea, a huge deed created and expanded through the use of efficient Trader "management". More to the whole story than I actually know though. Perhaps Whykillme will choose to elaborate further on the subject.

An aside: Back some years ago Traders actually remained after the deeds they were on disbanded. More than a few players then got them at no cost. Then they might just put a 3x3 comfy windowless high QL stone house over them and not even bother to deed it, although the more cautious approach would just be to make a 11x11 "Trader deed" to make sure nobody would disturb their (Traders) residence by perimeter'ing over it. Many later to be sold off when the Traders became more circumspect in their disbursements.

Dem wer de daze, I guess. R.I.P. Let the dead lie.

=Ayes=

I found this old post it has some information about Frontier.

That was one big place. :)

My new place will be much smaller hehe.

One of this years someone or a group will have to get together from each server and write a history book on Wurm. Going all the way back to Golden( when it was a actual playable area), WIld, and the other Home servers. Have heard some stories and seen some screenshots from them days and think it would be a interesting read for sure. :) 

• Like 4

I quite often roam around there since it's close to home. Every so often I'll go on a killing spree of the fruit trees, but the damn things seem to grow back overnight. I noticed in recent months that steppe is spreading out from one of the trader deeds (I forget it's name right now, but it's WSW of Frontier itself), and wondered if if it was part of a plan to passively remove the trees?

11 hours ago, Kaldari said:

I quite often roam around there since it's close to home. Every so often I'll go on a killing spree of the fruit trees, but the damn things seem to grow back overnight. I noticed in recent months that steppe is spreading out from one of the trader deeds (I forget it's name right now, but it's WSW of Frontier itself), and wondered if if it was part of a plan to passively remove the trees?

Steppe doesn't spread on tree tiles.

23 hours ago, rixk said:

Steppe doesn't spread on tree tiles.

And trees don't spawn on steppe. So as the steppe spreads across the grass it reduces the number of tiles available to trees, making it easier to further reduce their numbers by cutting them

Personally as a forest dweller I'd like that large forest keeping as full of trees as possible. I can remove some steppe when I next wander that way if required. 

I guess trees could be planted to contain the steppe? 

Edited by yetian

18 hours ago, yetian said:

Personally as a forest dweller I'd like that large forest keeping as full of trees as possible. I can remove some steppe when I next wander that way if required. 

I guess trees could be planted to contain the steppe? 

Some months ago I got permission from whykillme to (try to) clear out the fruit trees around there. I cleared a fair bit, and planted more pine, but a wurmbreak and then other wurmprojects have meant I bumped it down the 'to do' list. It's something I could revisit, and since I'm nearby it's no hassle to nip over for a couple of hours a week for some lemon murders.

I'll take a few rock shards and contain the steppe I can't pack with gravel, as I've used that before to hold back grass to allow tundra to expand 

• Like 1