Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Care for override

It's nice having an animal that's cared for by someone else, with one glaring problem: if it's someone you don't know (personally I have a few animals cared for by people I don't know), they could log on one day and decide to stop caring for the animals they don't have anymore to clear their caring for list. A venerable cared for animal can die within hours of someone stopping caring for it, so you probably won't get a chance to care for it yourself, unless you happen to be online and examining it the moment it's no longer cared for; most likely it ends up dead.

I suggest we make a caring for override option. If you have an animal that's already cared for, you can care for it as well, overriding the original caring for. If the other person stops caring, it won't die because you're caring for it, and if you stop caring for it, the other person's caring for still stands, so you won't be able to use it as a way to kill other people's animals.

If you have animals that someone else is caring for, then you should return it to it's owner. 

I also don't want this because I don't anyone to be able to "override" any animal that I care for.  On Chaos (and Freedom) my deed and alliance mates see that a horse is being cared for by Wargasm, so they know it's my horse, without having to brand it.

• Like 1

Care for is by far no replacement for branding, but people are using it to identify or "tag" their horse. Shouldn't override that, I don't think.

Think of a village with more villagers, where they want to "mark" their preferred horse.

Hmm, maybe a time delay for the override.  6 months no log in or 6 months not on server allow care for to be overridden or something like that.  Or better yet, branding allows to override care for.
I get what the OP is saying.  I've left cared for animals on servers before, then came back many months later and cleared the care for, maybe causing a short countdown to death for an animal someone is using, and would have cared for if they had the option.

+1 to some kind of care for override option.