header.png

Black Pearl, by Brocules

Hi all,

Coming straight off the back of an update with lots of cool new things, we're here with this weeks Valrei International, keeping you up to date with what's going on, so lets get into it!

But first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Wide tunnel entrances

• Tunnel entrances can be up to 3 tiles wide.
  • To widen a tunnel entrance, the tile you mine must only be connected to ONE open tunnel only.
  • Mine doors cannot be placed on tunnel entrances that are 2 or more tiles wide.

Alchemist Cupboard

• Created with Fine carpentry.
  • Contains 10 2kg liquid containers.
  • Slows decay on contents.

Storage unit

• Created using Carpentry.
  • Has 3 racks which can hold large items like fishing rods, and saddles.
  • Does not slow decay.

Unicorn Improvements

• Gold and silver horse shoes can now be created with Jewellery smithing
  • Unicorns can now be equipped with saddles, bridles and gold/silver horse shoes
  • Body strength of unicorns has been boosted to 30 (horses are 20 and hell horses are 35)
  • This means that unicorns may also be hitched, but unhitch when no longer tame

Bug Fixes

• Bugfix: Fix to disable teleporting if artifacts are equipped.
  • Bugfix: Various grammar and spelling fixes.
  • Bugfix: An issue with picking up items on deeds and within buildings with the proper settings has been fixed.
  • Bugfix: Wand of the Seas will now correctly form an island when used.

• Bugfix: Lava spawned with the Wand of the Seas is no longer permanent and will turn back to rock.

Art Update

Art update details can be found here

Personal goals
A few have noticed that their personal goals have changed, and have enquired as to whether this was intended or a bug so I'd like to go into the mechanics of it a little bit and break down what's happened.

The way the personal goals work is they are generated from the list each restart, not saved to a database entry, so when new goals were added along with the 1.3 cooking update, the generation was altered.

Unfortunately there's no way to rectify this without them changing again, so our plan is to wait until we have more achievements to add and will simply time it all together to minimise the impact of them changing (we'll also give warning!)

PayPal issues
Currently we have some ongoing issues with PayPal transactions, the issue appears to be on their side and they are currently investigating, we've manually processed the payments made over the past few days.

UPDATE:

The issue has now been resolved:

New animations
So with this update a whole bunch of new animations have come! With new fighting animations, as well as general actions, the aim is to improve visual feedback from the game, rather than relying heavily on the event window. More animations will be coming in the next few weeks too, so keep your eyes peeled!

Cave testing
We ran a short wide cave entrance testing period on Oracle yesterday, and I'd like to thank everyone who attended and checked them out, a few bugs were found and squished in good time, and we're thrilled we were able to release them today.

This also raises the question about widening entrances on heritage sites, and after speaking with the GM team, we will be providing support for removing reinforcements on the entrances of heritage sites only. If you wish to widen a heritage site tunnel please log a support ticket and a GM will attend when available.

New containers
Today's patch saw two new containers come in, the storage unit and the Alchemists cupboard. The storage unit comes with 3 internal containers and is designed to store large capacity and unwieldy items such as saddles and fishing rods, they can hold a fair bit (about 1.5-2x a raft) and look pretty awesome if I may say so!

storage.jpg

The alchemists Cupboard can hold 10 different liquids, up to 2kgs per flask, and greatly slows decay on its contents. This adds a really nice look to a study in my opinion

alchemy.png

Community Content

This weeks community content is from Brocules, who would like to celebrate the deed of Black Pearl  turning 5, and you're all invited! The plans are as follows:

With this message I want to invite all readers of the Valrei International to Black Pearl (s16 Exodus) to celebrate with us the fact that on february 19th fo the year 2012 Shadowwolf founded the deed. Black Pearl was founded 5 years ago!!

We tried to make some kind of program for the event, but the concept party/festival can be considered a ''fremdkörper'' in Wurm Online. There is no music, there is hardly any entertainment. Nevertheless, we managed to get a program:

1. Shadowwolf, the founder of Black Pearl is still playing, and he is coming from his residence on Release to Black Pearl to tell us the stories from the early days of Black Pearl  The effort it took to build a flourishing deed on the swamplands between Skeleton Desert, South Exodus Forest, and Foster Bay.

2. As entertainer we will have a Master Puppeteerr, so finally we will be able to hear the real stories of the Old Gods.

3. Then we will host the first RECIPE Exchange. Paper, pen and dye will be handed out so we all can swap our favorite recipes.

4. Then we will have the Funny Run. This will be kept a surprise for now

5. Off Course there will be fireworks

6.On the other hand, we will have a host of booze. Six stills are burning many hours daily so we all can get drunk and fully taste all the new drinks Wurm Online has brought us last year.

The Festival will start at 13.00 CET (12.00 UTC), location Black Pearl (s16 Exodus) and will last several hours.

I'll be aiming to attend too! (who can resist free booze?) so I hope to see you all there.

That's it for this week, there's lots to play with in the latest update and I look forward to decking out my house in the new storage options.

Until next time, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 30

Oh wow, that alchemist desk looks amazing! And love to have more variety on storage :) 

42 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Wide tunnel entrances

• Tunnels can be up to 3 tiles wide.
  • To widen a tunnel, the tile you mine must only be connected to ONE open tunnel only.
  • Mine doors cannot be placed on tunnel entrances that are 2 or more tiles wide.

Not to nag, but shouldn't that be TUNNEL ENTRANCES??

I mean, it's pretty easy to have a 3 tile wide tunnel, however a 3 tile wide entrance is what a lot of players have been hoping to get at some point. ;)

This also raises the question about widening entrances on heritage sites, and after speaking with the GM team, we will be providing support for removing reinforcements on the entrances of heritage sites only. If you wish to widen a heritage site tunnel please log a support ticket and a GM will attend when available.

Cool! Looks like the Ageless Lake Tunnel is getting a 2 tile wide entrance soon. \m/

Thorin :)

Edited by Thorinoakshield

Looking forward to the party in Black Pearl.

I've hired a bouncer to stay outside my house, just in case! :)

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

Alchemist's cupboard looks amazing! But what's the use of it when we can have sealed jars?

Great update with a variety of nice additions to the game. Well done!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Alchemist Cupboard

• Created with Fine carpentry.
  • Contains 10 2kg liquid containers.

First you change the potted plant racks from 100 to 30, and now you come up with a dye cupboard that only holds 10 dyes? 

How do you figure all this tedium is good for the game, why not call off your fun police and let some fun run loose for a change?

I already have a full barrel rack of alchemy goods in it, now to store it in the proper place I will need a bunch of racks, where one would of done just fine for my needs.

I should add I do love the new additions, more things to build.

Edited by JakeRivers

I love the complexity of the large cabinet, but really is there a reason for 3 rafts? I am thinking all these rafts all over the servers lets come up with a way to get rid of them!

Never mind, love this crazy storage beast!

Well worth building ^_^

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

thanks for mentioning our celebration of 5th anniversary of Black Pearl (s16 Exodus). We have plenty of booze (i hope). Since for some reason i havent been able to discover the secret of beer for long, there wont be much beer to drink (sorry for that).

After the party and after cleaning up, lets have a go at this awesome looking alchemy cabinet.

Edited by Brocules
  • Like 1

Sigh. Dear wurm animation team. That is definitely not how you use a trowel ): 

Really awesome update aside from that (so far that I've seen lol) Definitely need more furniture items to build. Lots of people were getting antsy about that. Feel free to throw in more decorative items! I for one would love the crap out of those.

Great work I love the new storage and the wider tunnels.  One worry please do not make it so ships can no longer go through 1 wide tunnel.  Even though three wide ones would be grate they cant be used as private enterances to ones deed.  Many players have made ship tunnels to their deeds and need the ability to secure them with mine doors.

• Like 1

We need different types of bsb and fsb. Same functionality but different looks. This way those of us who need more than one in a kitchen can at least make it look somewhat nice instead of same item plastered all over. We have items that is now used in cooking that needs to be stored in a bsb but the bsb we have looks like it belongs in a warehouse not a kitchen. I love the addition of the new items but lets face it anyone that does alchemy seriously will not use this thing. They might build it for its decorative purpose but no way in hell are they gonna let the dye take damage. Its gonna wind up sealed in a pottery rack or stored on a alt. Same can be said about weapons rack, armor rack, bow rack, wardrobe and whichever other ones i am leaving out.

It was told once that we have to have the decay on deeds by one of the devs in a forum post. They failed to mention why because I do not understand it for some items. I think pretty much everyone can agree that we have no problem with a lot of items decaying on deed. Wood scraps, shards, ore, food, crops, (weapons, tools,armor, most anything just laying about and not in a proper storage unit), foraged and harvest items etc etc. I can not say for the rest of the people in wurm but i really doubt many wurmians are a lot different than i am. I use alts to store items that could be placed in anyone of those furniture items that we do not want to watch decay away in between uses.

But back to the decay on items stored in these furniture items on deeds. If its a matter of database then well guess its not gonna matter because (see above ^) we are gonna have those items one way or another so why not just make those storage units no decay on the inside and it will be win win. People who are active on their deed are gonna do their regular chores and repair everything anyway..So no items lost there either just less fun time when logged in. If the deed has less than 30 days upkeep and no one is repairing everything then here is where decay starts doing what its supposed to do and once again most of us can live with that. This is a deed that the owner has chosen not to log on and upkeep and once it drops below 30 days then items in all storage units will get a decay hit since its no longer protected by deed.

So guys come on have a heart and let us use these things as intended and not have to watch the plate armor i took off and placed in a armor rack 1 day ago take a decay hit. But I will add big Kudos for adding more items. More is always better.

• Like 5

Dev team is on fire!!!! You guys really deserve a big round of applause for all the content that's been brought to the game in the past 6 months. Things are noticeably changing for the better here in that regard.

• Like 3

Personal goals
A few have noticed that their personal goals have changed, and have enquired as to whether this was intended or a bug so I'd like to go into the mechanics of it a little bit and break down what's happened.

The way the personal goals work is they are generated from the list each restart, not saved to a database entry, so when new goals were added along with the 1.3 cooking update, the generation was altered.

Unfortunately there's no way to rectify this without them changing again, so our plan is to wait until we have more achievements to add and will simply time it all together to minimise the impact of them changing (we'll also give warning!)

I've been working long and hard on my personal goals, and they were actually achievable. It was the main reason for me playing to be honest. After this fix, they are no longer achievable (realistically) and all that work I've put into getting them is lost.

So thanks, and i really mean it.

• Like 1

Love, love, love the look of the Alchemist Cupboard! And great to have more options for storage. 

• Like 2

I really was hoping we could ride these untamed you can't even lead them untamed either :(

kJMMoEd.jpg

This is a huge update, the animations and new storage options rock thank you!

Edited by Niki
  • Like 2

"This means that unicorns may also be hitched, but unhitch when no longer tame"

Does this mean unicorns will automatically unhitch when they go wild?

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I love the complexity of the large cabinet, but really is there a reason for 3 rafts? I am thinking all these rafts all over the servers lets come up with a way to get rid of them!

Never mind, love this crazy storage beast!

Well worth building ^_^

So you need 3 rafts for storage of 1.5-2 rats? I probably stay with my cog in my bedroom :D

That's an outdated picture of the alchemist's cupboard. What is inside of the drawer has changed since that render:

I like it much better this way! :)

c8bRzrcg.jpg

Edited by drvst
  • Like 3