Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

slaughtering for food

ok so i'm not big on killing animals, of any kind, whether be in real life, (i'm no tree hugger or vegan I buy my meat from butcher or supermarket generally where it comes pre prepared for me) or in a game, but I want to try a few different things with the update, but i'm feeling a little hamstrung as it were,

what do I need to say, OFF a bull or a sheep to do a spit or something similar, can someone advise me on this please.

is it possible with this update to make whisky or say moonshine, I think I saw something on the forums, either that or I was dreaming lol..

if so can someone point me to the recipe I would need to run such a test.

thankyou

WO recipes aren't the same as WU recipes.

In the alpha WU has the base set of known recipes, nothing hidden. more may come in the beta or live update, but the ability to create your own is already there.

alrighty then,

guess i'll have to do some experimenting then lol.

I believe you will need to invent (outside of the game, using JSON scripts) three separate recipes, one for cooking "mash", and then one to distill or condense the mash into the unfermented wash, and then finally a fermentation step using barrels to turn this liquid into moonshine or whiskey or whatever. The same will be true of other distilled spirits, such as gin rum vodka brandy tequila applejack honeymead etc. Each one will require three separate scripts for that one drink.   The intent is not for you to simply have someone give you the recipes, and you convert them to JSON script and import them back into the game, else they could have simply included these recipes with the game in the first place.  I mean, they already have such recipes, they deliberately decided we would not be getting them, they gave us instead  the "tools" to reinvent the process. We only have to research and reinvent four hundred and twenty five different scripts, write them all out and import into the game,  and we can catch up with WO users. The bright side is that one day years from now, we might even have more recipes than WO users. It will help if you Start Young,. of course, since you had to invent all of these recipes yourself, you will not experience the joy of using LORE ingame to experiment and "discover" the recipes, because remember you wrote them all yourself anyway. You already know what does what!  So LORE doesn't really have much point but oh well. 

Here are some clues, garnered from inspecting the ingame COPPER STILL and then consulting the INTERNET: If you open the still (craft one first of course) you will discover two parts, the boiler and the condenser. Now to consult the internet!

MOONSHINE 

• STEP ONE: If you would like to do this all yourself, you can look up how people traditionally made mash by googling one of the "how to make moonshine" websites (or gin or rum or whatever) . i included some links below to help you get started in your education.  Usually it involves cooking or soaking crushed or mashed grains (corn, rye etc) in warm or hot water. This is likely why the copper still you can craft, includes a boiler.  The boiler however is currently unusable unless you write out a cooking script for it outside of the game, for that specific spirt.  
  • STEP TWO:  Once you have decided on a script to use to create mash with the still's boiler as the "cooking container", you'll have to re-invent (again using internet +  JSON scripts) a second step that now uses the still's secondary part, the condenser. Depending on the scripts you wrote yourself -- which hopefully are based on real world models of the process, this will give you a liquid of "unfermented something-something".  Often this is called a wash (I think, i am not really a moonshiner by hobby)  There is often a step someplace in there that includes yeast or sugar or molasses or honey or something. GOOGLE it!
  • STEP THREE: now you need to write for yourself a third script, this one uses wine barrels and a wood scrap to convert wash or unfermented liquids, into the final alcoholic drink.  The recipes already ingame for making wine (red, white, rice), may also give you some clues so study those as well, although wine is slightly different I think from spirits as you don't actually use the still for those, but notice how it is three distinct recipes and not just one recipe. 

**edit: actually I think you are supposed to start in a regular CAULDRON to cook up the mash/wort/whatever,  and then to a BARREL to ferment,  and only on step three, use the STILL to distill 

You'll need to repeat this process -- research, invent script, troubleshoot, import into game -- three separate scripts, for each individual alcoholic drink, such as moonshine, rum, beer, mead, gin, brandy, vodka etc. Yes these processes already exist for WO users, and they got to experiment in game how to make them, but most of your experimentation will be using the internet to research and then making sure you correctly coded the scripts right. Once you have moonshine figured out, you have only 425 422 more scripts to invent. or heck 4200 scripts if you are highly ambitious and want to surpass WO users. You might for example research how to make fermented sheep milk, a tasty traditional and intoxicating russian-mongolian homemade brew  that i think WO users will never have access to. Or maybe they already have this recipe, I am not sure.

Here are some internet websites that might give you some ideas:

The Wurm Cooking Update Guide by Pandalet should also supply some good clues, especially what processes (grinding with mortar&pestle) and containers (pie tin, roasting pan) are already available ingame as building blocks for your scripts,  just re,member some of the steps they describe, such as how to make cooking oil, (pressing corn or cottonseed with a press) won't apply unless you first write out your own JSON script for this process.  We didn't get that recipe. 

Have fun, this is the joy of a sandbox where most of your "play time" will not actually be playing the game, but instead coding the game. 

The upside is, all of this should be extremely educational.

PS: on the first question, acquiring dead animals -- if you don't like to kill animals, just follow around a venerable sheep. Eventually it will die of old age (warning: may take time) , so you no longer have to smack it with a sword or club or even a rake  to kill it yourself. Just don't butcher it if you are intending to make roast sheep (or rat, or pig) on a spit.  That requires an unbutchered corpse. To get an unbutchered corpse, simply do not butcher the corpse. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

On this note, I can create a pig roast, and set it 'in' the campfire. The graphic of the lonely campfire updates, and voila! a pig over the fire now exists.....

Trouble is, it never changes from 'raw pig roast' to cooked, no matter how much wood I add to the fire.

Is there something that needs to be added to it to get to complete? Or is it borked? (or, maybe porked.. :) )

Also- Is there a post with a list with known bugs for A1.3 so far? I'm not certain sometimes as to what i find is a bug, or just me not knowing something about the cooking update. It'd be helpful for those who are trying to test it out.

-Z

No list of known bugs yet, that I am aware of. Besides plants not growing. 

I checked the recipe book and it appears we were given the recipe for a raw hog roast  -- but no recipe for a cooked one, so we have no way to complete the process, we can only prep the item and not cook it. Similar to sausage skins but no sausage, and raw potato fries but no cooked ones. 

In the words of one CodeClub staff, "This is not a bug".  It is expected we will write the script ourselves for transforming a raw roasted animal into a cooked one.

It's still an alpha so there is still a possibility we can wheedle more useful things out of them before it goes live. Or learn to write JSON scripts.

The good news is, ozmods has no reason now to violently murder any helpless innocent animals.

Dang -- i hope we caught him in time.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

smart arse lol, i'll let that one slide

after I posted this, I upped the creature count, and when I did I came across 2 dead boars and 2 hen's so that solved that, I made a butcher knife and I ended up with 30 odd pieces of meat, I had been using a carving knife, but butchers knife is much better