Sign in to follow this  
Dranana1

Redo Fo Priest Abilities & Penalties

Hello,

I hate to say it but Fo just became more useless with the patch fix dealing with the hell horses. I have about 3 friends who just told me they will not be keeping their Fo priests perm because Fo is kind of a useless god now. Grant it, he was kind of a useless god before the patch but now he is even worse. Fo has some of the most useless abilities and only really 1 enchantment spell (Life Transfer) which requires linking as well to even use. Yes Fo has some good spells for farming and he is the only god you can do alchemy with, but over all he sucks as a god on PVE. I think if you took out his first priest ability "Priests of Fo with 35 may pass through thorns unhindered" (REALLY, WE HAVE A SPELL FOR THIS) and replace it with "Priest of Fo with 35 faith can improve and continue". This would make him a viable priest again, even if you didn't change out any of his spells or other abilities. We might actually see people perming their Fo priests again. I do like this game and I wanted to go Fo because I wanted to be a really good healer, but because of the restrictions and crappy spells/abilities of Fo I don't think I will stick with him. I may just get my channeling up and go with a better god (WHICH IS ANY OF THEM COMPARED TO FO). He is the only god that doesn't have a Mend spell or any other spell like CoC, WOA, or BOtA. He also can't mine or cut wood and the ability to dig with him is kind of useless as well. Lets face it over all he sucks as a god, the only saving grace he has is that he is the only god you can do Alchemy with. This "plus" isn't even worth it really when you consider his spells and other abilities and compare them to all the other gods. I know some of you may be saying "well you don't get attacked by critters if you are high enough" and while this is a plus there are still some that this doesn't work against and they are the heavy hitters anyways. Also Paawe also gets this so it's not really just a Fo ability and Paawe is still better than Fo in a lot of things. I think since the alter/religion was revamped, it may be time to look at revamping the actual gods that are not player made. If you have any ideas that might make Fo a viable priest again, please let us know as I am interested in seeing what others think.

**Re-edit** to help clear up some confusion, all I am saying is replace the first Priest ability ("Priests of Fo with 35 may pass through thorns unhindered") for Fo with "Priest of Fo with 35 faith can improve and continue" would make him better for PvE.

Edited by Dranana1

I disagree. I have a Fo priest who's on the path of love and I love her. She is doing a great job for animal breeding, farming, cooking, fishing and taming and I can't say I am missing any abilities on the character. When making your character a Fo priest, you obviously don't have the great amount of enchantments and stuff that other priests have, but you are aware of that at the time of creating the priest. For people like me who use their Fo priests for their intended purpose, the skills and abilities we have right now are sufficient. 

There may be some smart ideas for changes or additions, but a complete redo seems more than useless.

• Like 1

Dranana1 isn't suggesting a complete re-do... the suggestion was to make this change....

"I think if you took out his first priest ability "Priests of Fo with 35 may pass through thorns unhindered" (REALLY, WE HAVE A SPELL FOR THIS) and replace it with "Priest of Fo with 35 faith can improve and continue", while leaving I assume everything else as is.

That to me is not a complete revamp as you would suggest it is. That's a modification to make Fo Priests more of a "practical" style priest that fits PvE better than it currently does (since many thornbushes are simply cut down on PvE anyway), so only real question I can think of is how would this affect the PvP side of things?

Edited by geode

I have an alt who is a Fo priest and I would play her more if she was more practical on a PVE server. I hate the thorn bush priest ability, to me its useless. If she could imp and continue then she would be way more practical and I would premium her more honestly. That is the one ability that made no since to me since they already have a spell for it. I think it could be a great modification, even if that was the only thing changed. That is just me though.

• Like 1

Yes Geode you are correct, I think if they just changed that one skill to make him a more practical priest it would make him a better priest over all. If anything make that skill only available to PvE servers since his existing skill really has no application on a PvE server. I am not asking for better skills or spells just to change some of his stuff he does have right now to make him more player friendly on PvE servers since I don't play PvP at all and many of those I do know who have Fo only play PvE as well.

I don't think allowing a priest (or priest possiblilty) the ability to continue and imp items is likely to happen.

There are other possibilities, and ultimately passives are just small passive bonuses, I don't see Mag priests dancing on lava tiles often, not to mention vynora priests getting no bonus like that

• Like 2

The morning fog spell honestly isn't that effective; have tested it a few times personally on a friend.  Even with decent casts they were taking damage going through thornbushes.  And priests simply do not craft (improving and continuing.) You want a crafting account, have a separate priest account.  My Fo is always and always will be premium as long as I play wurm.  If you're enamored by one of the other deities (such as paaweelr) you might try that one out.

Aye I doubt imping and continuing is ever going to be a thing for non champ priests, simply too powerful of a combo.

Now totally for any small additional bonuses as Retro mentions.

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Mag priests dancing on lava tiles often

When I was mag priest I didn't dance on the lava, I sat on a comfy comfy chair!

well maybe imping the things that actually mater to the god would work, like pottery and cloth items. These are just ideas that can make playing a priest on a PvE server more practical and they don't have to be just for Fo priests they could be for any priest.

I have a Fo priest and I must admit, every thing listed above by Yldrania-

On 07/02/2017 at 4:04 PM, Yldrania said:

I disagree. I have a Fo priest who's on the path of love and I love her. She is doing a great job for animal breeding, farming, cooking, fishing and taming and I can't say I am missing any abilities on the character. When making your character a Fo priest, you obviously don't have the great amount of enchantments and stuff that other priests have, but you are aware of that at the time of creating the priest. For people like me who use their Fo priests for their intended purpose, the skills and abilities we have right now are sufficient. 

There may be some smart ideas for changes or additions, but a complete redo seems more than useless.

Can be done by a regular character with ease, with a few exceptions for animal breeding. Anybody can farm, cook, fish, or tame. Infact the Charm animal spell is only good to keep a difficult creature tamed for a moment. I have Charmed champion alligators and hell horses, they only last about 5 mins so its only viable with high taming skill. 100 Channeling in a fo priest won't make a difference there so a person with 100 taming would be better than magic. The cure spells she has really do suck considering that cotton and farmer salve can do the trick easily, and you would have to wait 150 seconds to get the amount of favor for a Cure light. would be nice if it went down to 5 favor and Cure medium at 10 favor. Cotton is so much more effective and easier to get. Even if saccing for the favor for cure light is easy, saccing on a hunting trip is annoying because you have to keep recreating an altar (I have also tried sacrificing pigs, they barely give enough on the trips. Lastly on the case for animal breeding, the best spells she has there are humid drizzle and genesis. humid drizzle are for people who are taking too many animals and cramping them which can be easily avoided. And animals with bad traits can easily be disposed of to get more. Only good thing there is that Fo can keep a previously bad animal after removing its traits. Lastly anybody could be on Path of love.

Fo does suck now XD. They had even nerfed the one thing that made me happy to be a Fo (High participation points in rifts after using 2-3 silver worth of gems). The only reason why i keep my Fo priest is to walk around feeling unique but nearly useless. The most i can do is breed hell horses and tell my oak trees to hurry up in growing. Asking for Fo priest to have improve and continue isn't the way to go in my opinion though. so -1. The only thing that can make Fo worth it imo is to change how player gods work. You can't say vynora is better than Fo because they are apples and oranges. But you can easily say Paaw is better than Fo because they are both fruit baskets with similar fruits, but Fo's fruits are just covered in flies. OH remove the cool down on all cast except the light of Fo and Heal, and decrease the favor needed for curing.

23 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

Dude, go check out Libila lol

Fo is godlike in comparison to lib

I just looked at Libila, id much rather have her spells than Fo's atm. At least that priest is capable of doing more things the average player can't replicate.

Haha u looked yes. On paper it looks great. U should also not just look at the spellset but at the whole picture, being a priest is much more then just the spells.

Try go play it and u'll see how horrible it is since wurm 1.3. 

On 2/7/2017 at 0:28 PM, Dranana1 said:

I hate to say it but Fo just became more useless with the patch fix dealing with the hell horses. 

Can you clarify what the hell horse part was, i glanced through the new patch notes but can't spot what that might be about

Just fix priests for PvE in general....  Seriously....   Been saying it for years; gave up hope on it ever happening but still...  Fix them....

40 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Just fix priests for PvE in general....  Seriously....   Been saying it for years; gave up hope on it ever happening but still...  Fix them....

Its just as bad for PvP. (Literally Sme is the only choice for anyone intending to priest in PvP, Vynora is the other option for casting. Between these two you have pretty much everything, lol.)

Religion in its entirety needs a pretty serious overhaul.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, Retrograde said:

I don't think allowing a priest (or priest possiblilty) the ability to continue and imp items is likely to happen.

There are other possibilities, and ultimately passives are just small passive bonuses, I don't see Mag priests dancing on lava tiles often, not to mention vynora priests getting no bonus like that

Oh yeah the Vynora priest (not follower) bonus is AWESOME.  It gives a BONUS to the QL increase of improving items...   oh wait.... priests can't improve nvm.

1.  Casting it is very hit and miss without a tank

Lern2Oakshell

@Soil

Charm only sets loyalty to 50; without a decent taming skill to back it up this seems to decay away faster than you'd think.  Charm casting can be interrupted by even a light wound.

1,2 and 4 are poorly thought out and indicate that you never had to survive without someone there to imp your items for you (and maybe dress/feed you too)

3 is a classical example of a "workaround" mechanic

When you've more than 3 years of dedicated fo priesting under your belt you can explain to me the intricacies of fo casting and maybe your evaluation on just how "powerful" a spell is might carry some weight.

skill your account and stop being lazy

like wargasm said, you literally don't even need to imp your armor if you're this lazy. Cast oakshell. Also no it doesn't wear off super fast. When I was a Fo priest I had ~20 taming. I rocked out everywhere with a HH, and when it untamed I just charmed it again. On a PvP server. With enemies. Now if you're telling me you're too lazy to stop and either tame something and recharm your HH, or just wait until it uncharms and then charm it again, then stop making excuses and stomping your feet about how "fo is bad"

Charm is, if anything, an overpowered spell.
To balance it you could instead make it rely on cast power, so a 1 power cast really would be a 5 minute tame.

But I don't think it needs balancing either because only two garbage PvP priests compared to Smeagain have the ability, so it's not really hurting anyone. 

as I've said before though if you're dying to a hell horse while trying to tame it, you're doing something wrong or you're literally garbage at this game.

1 hour ago, Soil said:

like wargasm said, you literally don't even need to imp your armor if you're this lazy. Cast oakshell. Also no it doesn't wear off super fast. When I was a Fo priest I had ~20 taming. I rocked out everywhere with a HH, and when it untamed I just charmed it again. On a PvP server. With enemies. Now if you're telling me you're too lazy to stop and either tame something and recharm your HH, or just wait until it uncharms and then charm it again, then stop making excuses and stomping your feet about how "fo is bad"

To balance it you could instead make it rely on cast power, so a 1 power cast really would be a 5 minute tame.

But I don't think it needs balancing either because only two garbage PvP priests compared to Smeagain have the ability, so it's not really hurting anyone. 

as I've said before though if you're dying to a hell horse while trying to tame it, you're doing something wrong or you're literally garbage at this game.

You do realise that my taming is 50 right and my armour is QL80 now,?  I can't say I've used charm recently since I just tame things now, its far easier.  I've not cast oakshell on myself in ages, but it is handy at rifts for helping folks get their stuff back.

Unlike your fine self I am not arguing solely for my own benefit, I am doing something rare we call "empathising with new players".  Those players who are "literally garbage at [wurm]", like you were yourself when you arrived and who are "lazy" due to having more than wurm in their life.

Also you're evading the central point, taming is far superior to the charm spell in almost every way.  The only exceptions are trying to charm champions (and those DO have a damn short duration) and finding a critter you want but not having a taming item handy (more a convenience than superiority since you still need to have the favor banked)

23 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Overall charm is about as much use as fullheal now.  Good on paper, worthless in practice.

the only problem with charm is that its interruptible where dominate isn't

heal is still overpowered...  just because it isnt a 100% guaranteed full heal doesnt mean it's useless, it's still literally one of the strongest game changing spells in the game

4 hours ago, Soil said:

I apologize for the typo. Charming is perfectly fine for hell horses but the 5 mins portion was based off the champion alligator mentioned in the same sentence. I had charmed the animal and had it fight with me. 1. It nearly died to an aged alligator that was normal and then got went untamed after one fight. Charm animal was only useful for me when charming hell horses to put equipment on. The problem is that that's the only use I have seen out of it. Most of Fo's spell can be easily replaced with a skilled player. If the spell is actually useful they can most likely be replaced by another priest with better spells for pve. I'll make a list.

Sixth sense: Shared between Vyn, Mag, Fo, and Paaw so there is no advantage for Fo here.

Morning fog: Doesn't fully protect from thorn and people could just walk around bushes...

Bless: All priest have it, no advantage for Fo here.

Dispel: All priest have it, no advantage for Fo here.

Refresh: I don't cook more than breakfasts so if stam food and drinks still exist then they easily replace this spell (which has a cooldown).

Locate Soul: All priest have it, no advantage for Fo here.

Humid drizzle: Diseased animals occur from cramped places or overfilled deeds. Simply watch your animal count and you won't need this spell. Also groom your pets.

Nolocate: All priest have it, no advantage for Fo here.

Charm animal: Skilled animal tamers can easily replace this spell. If unskilled in taming, this spell is only good for temporarily taming hell horses to put equipment on them.

Courier: Very useful for mailing, nice for décor but is now shared by better priest (Nahjo and Paaweelr)

Cure light/medium/serious: Cotton, Farmer salve, and healing covers. This spell only hastens a fight (Only talking about pve)

Lurker in the woods: If you have nothing to do and decide to just have champion creatures then this is useful. After hearing tamed animals have 1/2 the cr I see this spell would only be useful for people with 70+ fighting wanting some good skill gains.

Fo's touch: useless for pve.

Light of Fo: Haha!! something awesome. for pve rifts and for unique slayings this can be used for healing. However this has gotten nerfed in terms of participation rewards. If Scorn of libila heals just as much and damage rift creatures I would say this spell falls flat. This can be used in pve by Paaw.

Willowspine: no need to dodge when your equipment is good. Armor smiths can replace this

Bearpaws: does anybody use damage dealing pets? does this multiply damage or adds damage? weaponless fighting sucks so this I would deem worthless. Just get a good weapon. Weaponsmiths can replace this

Oakshell: Would be cool if it was added on to armor + weaker to make it a bit more balanced. But since its temp it doesn't compare to good armor. Armor smiths can replace this

Vessel: All priest have it, no advantage for Fo here.

Dirt: Could be useful but shared by Nahjo and Paaw, so no advantage for Fo here. And dirt can be picked up somewhere else rather quickly by a digger. Doesn't even need to be skilled since leveling takes a fixed amount of time per dirt.

Heal: pretty handy but also risky. I have used this spell many times and it failed me most the time. If there are around 20 light wounds you are better off using cotton. if you have 3 bad wounds or high mediums you are better off using cures as a priest, but still this can be replaced by healing products. Spell only hastens the fight.

Break altar: All priest have it, no advantage for Fo here.

Wild growth: This IS something pretty handy. I sped of the growth of my oak trees using this. sadly if you aren't paying full attention this can kill your trees as well. Still I would say this spell is good BUT also shared by Paaw.

Libila's demise: pve... don't care

Forest giant strength: Has a cap, and doesn't "work". I once raised the body strength of a friend past 23 and asked if he can load cargo. He couldn't do such a thing(Bug?).

Life transfer: YEAH something nice! Crafters can't replicate this. But Nahjo and Paaw have it so no advantage for Fo.

Venom: does anybody even use this.. does a crafter even want to replicate this.. I'm honestly asking because venom have never killed me by chance and I was really stupid with bees. they had more than enough chances.

Genesis: Perfect if you promote incest in your animal pens. and shared by Nahjo

Holy Crop: Plain stupid.

Just to clarify though, this is just my opinion and experiences. If anybody sees any more use in Fo I would glady LOVE to hear it to have a reason to keep my Fo priest and not switch it to anything else. But till then I'm going to assume this Fo priest I have is complete turd and will continue being nerfed until its nothing.