Sign in to follow this  
Ozgod

Suggestion: Folios (Papyrus)

Just an idea - for papyrusmaking: Folios

This would item would allow players to take multiple papyrus sheets (uninscribed) and combine them into a bound folio. Instead of the regular pop-up window for inscribing it would be similar, however with the 'Next' and 'Back' buttons player could inscribe multiple pages. This could be used for recipe sharing, in-game book writing, kingdom/deed laws, inventory logs, trade deals, et. al.

I'd imagine the recipe being to the effect of using a needle as the tool, 3 strings of cloth, two pieces of leather, and a minimum of five papyrus sheets. There could be recipes for different sizes, i.e. Volume: req 10 papyrus sheets, 6 strings; Tome: req 25 sheets, 12 strings.

If it all possible, perhaps allowing players to bind already inscribed papyrus sheets into a bound folio although it would have to be one at a time and requires at least one string with each 'addition.'

• Like 1

I'll take the silence on this as it's not a popular idea lol

I like it, though I'd want to brainstorm more uses for ingame writing.

I think ingame writing has more of an RP aspect to it. While I play WU, I do keep an ingame diary. I use it for record-keeping for the shoppes I rent to other players at a public market. I also use it for recording new villagers, role promotions, or when they are removed. I also use it as a Bill of Sale when trading with other players (the goods being traded and the cost.)

What drives me batty and prompted this suggestion was the hundreds of individual sheets I have in storage. I maintain a library on our deed that houses these records - but it'd be nicer to contain them into one object versus having a drawer filled with 100 inscribed papyrus sheets.

That would really be nice, especially as a recipe collector. I'd love to be able to hand over a 'cookbook' to friends (or sell it!), instead of each individual page (which decay really quickly).

Then maybe bookshelves could be used to halt or slow the decay rate on papyrus sheets and folios.

That's a fantastic idea!

Bookshelf Improvement

Add internal components to bookshelves much like larders. Small bookshelves have 3 shelves, tall ones have 6 shelves. Papyrus and paper on these shelves does not decay while on a deed, very reduced decay off-deed.

This requires no new models and can take existing code and just re-purpose it, allowing a quicker implementation.

• Like 1

Now I will have to build an archive in the crypts on my deed now...

As an additional side idea to all this: Copy

Activating a reed with ink and actioning it on an already inscribed papyrus sheet should give me the option to make a copy of it onto a new papyrus sheet. However, the ability to copy everything correctly should correlate to the papyrus-making skill. I imagine some characters would get scrambled, deleted, or x'ed out.

-1, no printing press, no copying.  Doesn't fit (imo)

There already is a press in game - it's what you turn reed fibres into papyrus sheets.

And before the printing press was created scribes had to copy everything by hand.

Paper press is different than a printing press, but that's a subjective debate since making paper/writing material came thousands of years before the printing press.

So wouldn't you writing on all the papyrus scrolls be the same as hand scribing them?  

Not saying minus one to your bookshelf comment, just -1 to the copying function.  Sorry for the confusion oZ

I could see a copy function tied to a "Scribing" skill, it was, after all, a major industry before the printing press. But you'd also want the process to be difficult enough to reflect that, but not so difficult people don't just cut and paste the text using pastebin or something instead, which would be much closer to a printing press.

Since we're on the topic of writing: Skill books.

Someone with a high enough Scribing skill could Listen to a player with a high skill (chosen) and write it down into a 'book' format (the more papyrus sheets used the more effective the book.) Which, when read by a player, will give them a one-time skill gain. The skill gain would be dependent on 1) The skill level of the person the Scribe was Listening too 2) The Scribing skill of the writer 3) The quality combination of the papyrus sheet/final product.

I've thought of that before, but I've sorta shyed away from that idea in recent months. I've been thinking about books in Wurm for a year or two by this point.

Inspired by cooking, what about an affinity (that stacks with cooking) that lasts for a really long time to differentiate it. The skill cap means when the skill hits the cap the buff vanishes and you get a message like "The text is too simple to provide you any insight." if you try to use one when your skill is already above the cap. Each book requires skill in the subject equal to the cap, except the Thesis, which would be 80 skill.

Pamphlet, easy difficulty to make, lasts for a day+QL bonus and is capped at 20 skill.

Primer, moderate difficulty to make, lasts for 3 days + QL bonus. Capped at Skill 40.

Textbook,, hard diffifulty to make, lasts for 5 days + QL bonus. Capped at Skill 60.

Thesis, very hard difficulty to make, lasts for 1 week + QL bonus. No cap.

Edit: This also means I'd get to tell people starting a skill "Would you like a pamphlet?" which makes me grin like a maniac for some reason.

Edited by Darmalus

I had forgotten about affinities - I could see skill books affecting that, even if temporarily.