Sign in to follow this  
Devean

Marble for baking bread?!

Pottery is used for a few new utensils, but like stills being copper, and other items requiring regional resources, it sometimes takes a bit of travelling if you want to do it yourself 

You're seriously comparing distilling to something as fundamental as baking bread?

i wouldn't say bread is fundamental in wurm.

It's in fact one of the hardest meals to make at low skill. you need to farm cereals (rake - blacksmithing & farming) which need a scythe(Weapon Smithing skill) to harvest . You then need a grindstone (stone cutting skill) to turn them into flour (milling skill). Once that's done, you need both the baking skill and an oven (masonry) to create and cook them.

That means a lot of skills for a new player, the marble baking plate is just using a rare(ish) material with a skill already used, but the most important part is that without any decent skills in all of the previously mentionned ones, your bread will sucks and not feed you at all.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Devean said:

Oh, look at yourself! How clever you are with your sarcasm, right? How well you showed where I'm wrong, because you disagree with my complaint. Wow! 

Ever herd of logical fallacies? Here's one for you: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

Oh, and... who are you, again?

Hi! I am Angelklaine! My name is just to the top left of my post right above my avatar. I knew I should have signed my post. Nice to meet you! I am just a nobody. Just another player who plays the game and pays for his subscription just like you! I guess that makes us brothers in Wurm now!

Am I clever? Well, I suppose I am! Thank you for the compliment. Sorry if it offended you! Is not like you were offensive to someone else or anything. My bad. I'll make sure to be nicer in the future. Can't go around offending people. What was I thinking!

• Like 3

I can honestly say that I've never had a problem finding marble.  Maybe I'm just lucky. 

If there's anyone out there reading this who feels unable to participate in cooking due to lack of marble or a baking stone, I will post you either (your choice) for nearly-free (CoD'ed for 1i, so you'll need to pay postage).  All you need to do is ask nicely, like a reasonable, sensible person (either here or via PM if you prefer); those who demand like spoiled children will be ignored.

• Like 3

Marble shards fit in a normal mailbox. 

Edited by cccdfern

So far I have had no complaints from this community. People have come all over Freedom to give me a hand when I have needed it. I have had people find me when stranded, guide me if able, mailed me free meals when starving, given me free 80ql studded leather sets, and even spent hours looking for my place so they can deliver a measly 2k dirt in inland Xanadu. This is without doubt a very helpful community and I have had the chance to pay it forward, and I have many times. 

If you need something, ask in Freedom chat. If you can't afford it, and is something silly easy for someone to produce, you can probably just get it for free, or for a few coppers at most. Copper is easy to get (Spend an afternoon killing mobs for a moment of inspiration if you are really destitute, or make 1k bricks or dig 1k clay and sell for silver). I think we should put more effort to establish social solutions to our problems rather than simply complain about it. Trade in this game is an intended effect, and if you had access to everything you could possibly need, then there would be little point for this game to be an MMO.

• Like 2

You could always ask in your Freedom for a baking stone also. There was a guy saying he didn't have one just the other day, and I sat down and spit a baking stone and a mortar & pestle out and sent them both to him. I felt bad about not imping them up crazy high (I did what I could with my 30 QL range marble on deed)...but at least he has one to cook with. I'd been in discussions with another player about whether they could ship me some higher QL to imp it higher, but we asked the guy and he said low QL was fine for him since he didn't even have the skills for higher anyway!

Not everyone on this game is all 'ME ME ME'. Some of us actually enjoy helping others out...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Pottery is used for a few new utensils, but like stills being copper, and other items requiring regional resources, it sometimes takes a bit of travelling if you want to do it yourself 

11 hours ago, Devean said:

You're seriously comparing distilling to something as fundamental as baking bread?

Enough said.

My objection has NOTHING to do with the availability of Marble, or the availability of a mail box, or other Players willing to help out those in need.

Read the above line again please. My objection ISN'T about the community.

My objection is about the design decision of the Devs in the overall scheme of Wurm. Bread should be one of the easiest foods to make in this game and it in fact does not require farming, grains can be foraged as they were centuries ago in real life and up until now could be baked into bread. Marble may or may not be available easily but a new Player should not imo be required to hunt Marble down or ask for help in kchat or purchase a marble shard just to bake bread. Baking stones should be available to make for not only Marble but also clay and/or rock shards. (Grind Stones are made from Rock Shards... why not Baking Stones?) Let the easier and low skill recipes be made with the clay/rock shard variety, require the marble one for higher skilled recipes. This can be added later in a future update and I look forward to it. Enough said from me on this.

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

Since this thread is still open, and I am still jet lagged from my journey back to redneckland, I'll toss my 2 irons into the fire.  Not everything in this game should be automatic...I live on an island that will never produce a certain color of grape.  Alas, I shall have to avail myself of the community for assistance.  In this particular scenario I actually bought a baking slab from another player - not that I gave a wit about baking of course, but rather that at some point I would need one and my mines are almost oppressively zinc.  The 10i I spent was well worth it?  Maybe?  Not sure since there is no part of my game that actually requires me to bake anything.  There should be some effort in a game such as this perhaps.  Otherwise we lose the thing that actually makes us what we are.  I'll give you a free stone and pestle or whatever you need, but if I do I think you are missing out on something that makes this community special.

(Please note that this is an opinion of a player only, who started this crazy journey almost ten years ago, and in no way represents the official position of Wurm Online or OneTwoFree er Code Club AB. I'm just me being me which can be pretty offensive. But I can and will wizzkill you if you give me crap.  Okay no I won't.  Or will I?)

• Like 4

You guys are wasting your time trying to get Wurm devs to do something contrary to whatever they originally wanted/intend to do.

If it makes folks feel better, as soon after WU gets updated I'll add WU-mods for making a pottery bake stone and a mortar and pestle made from rockshards.

• Like 1

As geode said, this is not about marble not being easily accessible everywhere you smack your pickaxe. It is about it being required for something fundamental AND it being so illogical, that even Wurm Logic™ doesn't cover it ;).

I don't have a problem with marble being rare. I don't have a problem with peat being rare. I don't have a problem with gold being rare. I don't have a problem with gold jewelry and gold altars being rare. Hey! It makes sense!

Baking stone made from marble instead of granite does not make any sense whatsoever.

This is not about having to trade for something. I have played Wurm for ages and had my share of being helped and helping others. This rant (maybe a bit rudely phrased) was about something being idiotic. Not about free giveaways and instant gratification.

I ask the moderators to close this topic. I have obtained the marble through the help of others (thank you again, Arium), and will be removing the dust from my chisel now.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:04 AM, geode said:

I chose to see this issue as an oversight and I have confidence the Devs will add either a clay or rock shard based baking stone to the game soon.

I applaud your optimism! In certain respects the Wurm Developers seem to be a stubborn lot and will not make changes that do not impose any devastating effects. Sure, it would be better if such a common and useful object were created from something of compatible (common) material but for whatever unknown reason a material was chosen completely opposite of the application.

Now since players can obtain this hard to find regionally ore (vein) from other players if they are not one of the more fortunate ones who have it in their own local, this slight impediment is considered of no significance. Therefore no change of material will be forthcoming, as evidenced by a number of other convoluted methods and materials required to create other useful objects or substances (concrete) that in turn reduce their usefulness due to excessive measures required or the lack of materials within ones own local areas.

Hope springs eternal they say but here you will first have to find the source, even if you can't make the application to do so.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

First off, yes the ovens and forges are made of stone already, but wouldn't it be nice if occasionally you could pull the surface out and clean it.

Marble makes more sense because granite is considered to be very porous.  We have 'homemade' granite countertops in our kitchen and honestly, I haven't seen much evidence of it, but I know they say you have to use sealers with granite because it is porous.  Marble is also softer which probably means in things like mortar and pestles, with a little use they make a better fit together which would result in finer results.

Something else we found out that has nothing whatsoever to do with this issue, is that a strong magnet will stick to granite... never expected that!

9 hours ago, Kyleshandra said:

Something else we found out that has nothing whatsoever to do with this issue, is that a strong magnet will stick to granite... never expected that!

Yep, cause granite has bits of ferrous rock in it (aka iron ore).

9 hours ago, Kyleshandra said:

Marble makes more sense because granite is considered to be very porous.  We have 'homemade' granite countertops in our kitchen and honestly, I haven't seen much evidence of it, but I know they say you have to use sealers with granite because it is porous.  Marble is also softer which probably means in things like mortar and pestles, with a little use they make a better fit together which would result in finer results.

Aye, that's why marble of close types of limestones are used. They do react badly to acid solutions though, so kinda handle with care and do not bring your soda close to it;

Also why most stones or pottery wouldn't do. You would need some high quality ceramic to obtain the non sticky effect. One decent alternative for mortar and pestles are hard/heavy wood types (oak / walnut). Of course, trying to make a baking plate out of wood and put it in the oven wouldn't work that well.

I do love the amount of proper information showing that decision remains logic despite the OP view and thread lock request :D

Where I come from mortar and pestle are made out of wood. I didn't even know they were made out of anything else until I moved overseas.

pilon-510.jpg

Just because it makes no sense to you it doesn't mean it makes no sense to everyone else.

• Like 3

Just because bread is a basic staple in many parts of the world, doesn't mean it has to be in Wurm.  I like that stuff isn't exactly the same in game as IRL - seriously, if you need that level of realism, go dig in your back yard and chop down the neighbours tree.

And yeah, whining like a spoiled infant and calling people idiots is super likely to get you what you want.  Let us know how that works out for you.

• Like 1

On Monday, February 06, 2017 at 3:21 AM, Kyleshandra said:

First off, yes the ovens and forges are made of stone already, but wouldn't it be nice if occasionally you could pull the surface out and clean it.

choresonline

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 2:04 AM, geode said:

Marble is rare, or completely mined out, or regional and not available at all in several areas of the servers. Some areas have it, some don't.... but that's not the major complaint with this, it's the minor complaint.

The major complaint of this is how ridiculous this is... not allowing clay to be used for a baking stone, or stone itself, and only allowing marble... one of the most basic foods is bread... and new players and others being told "buy a marble shard" to make a baking stone. Something (both bread and a baking stone) a new Player, or anyone, should be able to make in the wild, without hardly any tools or skill and the Devs seem to think it's OK to make everyone use what was added to the game to be a valuable and rare resource (marble). Sorry but to me this comes across as silly and ridiculous and I understand the OP's complaint completely.

I chose to see this issue as an oversight and I have confidence the Devs will add either a clay or rock shard based baking stone to the game soon.

Marble for should be for the elite to use like the silver knife.

rock shard stone or clay for normal peeps baking stone! :P

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 4:09 AM, Wonka said:

And yeah, whining like a spoiled infant and calling people idiots is super likely to get you what you want.  Let us know how that works out for you.

You just destroyed your own act of shilling with name calling... gga.

As for marble, it's basically not used, searched all over for it and only isolated cases but.......... they do work.  Welcome to the age of the snobby peasant, I guess.

giphy.gif

Personally in a way I agree with the op. A marble baking stone would have been used by royalty not a common peasant. There should have been options with the baking stone.