Sign in to follow this  
Devean

Marble for baking bread?!

Which idiot came up with the idea that you need marble to bake?! Baking stone, WTF? Did this person EVER see how traditional baking takes place? FFS...

What if i tell you a marble baking stone is OFTEN used in traditionnal baking? Okay, not to cook stuff, but to prepare dought, chocolate, sugar based products and the like.

• Like 4

Not sure the level of outburst matches the severity of the issue here.

Baking stones for bread are a thing too btw, and have been used for centuries

george2.jpg

• Like 4

I would have chosen pottery.

It seem lately Wurm devs look for any excuse they can find to construct things from lesser used materials.

• Like 3

Harsh and rude, but true. No idea about confectionery, but to make bread, pies etc you only need an oven. Just an oven. And ash between the stone and the dough so it wouldn't stick.

• Like 1

I know I've been rude, but sometimes you need to be to get the message through. A stone slab or table for making dough would be good. But... friggin' MARBLE? Who on earth would use such a rare and expensive material for baking?

I agree with joedobo that it's just an excuse to add something else to make from marble (while making life harder for all the other players).

Hey, devs! Why not focus on adding and improving things instead of breaking them?

I appreciate all the furniture and new decorations, but the cooking update has been one of the worst additions to Wurm ever (speaking from over 10 years of experience in the game...).

6 minutes ago, zorako said:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=baking+stone

Search for "baking stone" , there are many in the real world to buy.

Now, look carefully at the image search. Notice all the iron lattices? It's because the bottom bakes better on stone.

Now, log into Wurm and look carefully at the oven. Notice anything funny? Like... it's made of stone already? ;)

While we are at it...

1. Change the mortar and pestle to rock shards as granite is far harder and more durable.

2. Change the lunch tin to a lunch box and make it from iron.

3. Add substitute materials for rift resources that anyone can EASILY find everywhere. They can be hard to make but an essential resource acquisition roadblock is bad.

4. Add substitute materials for unique blood to make imbuing oils for the same reason as #3.

lol, not like any of this matters because it won't change...come on WU, get updated!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joedobo said:

2. Change the lunch tin to a lunch box and make it from iron.

No, but it would make more sense to use bronze or steel.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-metals-d_858.html

31 minutes ago, joedobo said:

3. Add substitute materials for rift resources that anyone can EASILY find everywhere. They can be hard to make but an essential resource acquisition roadblock is bad.

4. Add substitute materials for unique blood to make imbuing oils for the same reason as #3.

I agree that rift mats shouldn't be limited as they are now, but unique bloods are fine... Unique system is flawed.

Edited by zigozag

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Not sure the level of outburst matches the severity of the issue here.

Baking stones for bread are a thing too btw, and have been used for centuries

george2.jpg

Frustration has a way of breaking the camel's back :lol:  Great looking bread btw, did you make those?  I just want to eat the one on the left straight up.  That crust looks awesome.

1 hour ago, zigozag said:

Harsh and rude, but true. No idea about confectionery, but to make bread, pies etc you only need an oven. Just an oven. And ash between the stone and the dough so it wouldn't stick.

Ash??  Wouldn't that leave ash on the under side of the bread?  I don't want no ash on ma bread man.  Why wouldn't you use flour?  (ok, might be wasteful in a lot of cases... but seriously, don't you wind up eating ash?)

#dontbeeatingnoashyo

Just buy a marble shard already.

It's not like you need tons of marble.

(I have tons of marble btw, PM if you need one, I will charge cod)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Devean said:

Who on earth would use such a rare and expensive material for baking?

I agree with joedobo that it's just an excuse to add something else to make from marble (while making life harder for all the other players).

Hey, devs! Why not focus on adding and improving things instead of breaking them?

I appreciate all the furniture and new decorations, but the cooking update has been one of the worst additions to Wurm ever (speaking from over 10 years of experience in the game...).

First, the cooking addition has probably been one of the best additions to the game since bridges or multistory.

Second, it sounds like you're upset because of the fact that marble is hard for you to obtain, not because of the "realism" guise that you're trying to use (which is a moot point anyway, we're playing a game with magic and dragons... this isn't real life.).

Lastly, marble isn't rare or expensive. I've got 50+ veins of it under my deed. Feel free to stop by my deed on Xanadu  and take some away for free.

• Like 5

Thank you, Decay-man, if I ever end up on Xanadu, I'll pop over :).

If marble wasn't that rare, I'd just make one and complain about Wurm logic in local (but I would still complain about this being unrealistic, it doesn't matter, if something's rare or not).

Unfortunately, the four mines in my area (hundreds of tiles of mines) proved marble-free. Loads upon loads of iron, rock salt, one zinc, two copper, about a dozen cave bugs, two lava fiends, and a lava spider. Even two large rats, which I haven't seen in years ;). Seems lava spiders are more common than marble, at least in my corner of Indy ;).

PS Bridges and multi-story are the best that happened to Wurm in many years :).

Edited by Devean

1 hour ago, Devean said:

Seems lava spiders are more common than marble, at least in my corner of Indy ;).

All of the servers ( Xanadu may be an exception ) have areas where certain ore is more prevalent or not available. You are just in an area that doesn't have much marble. 

1 hour ago, Devean said:

Thank you, Decay-man, if I ever end up on Xanadu, I'll pop over :).

If marble wasn't that rare, I'd just make one and complain about Wurm logic in local (but I would still complain about this being unrealistic, it doesn't matter, if something's rare or not).

Unfortunately, the four mines in my area (hundreds of tiles of mines) proved marble-free. Loads upon loads of iron, rock salt, one zinc, two copper, about a dozen cave bugs, two lava fiends, and a lava spider. Even two large rats, which I haven't seen in years ;). Seems lava spiders are more common than marble, at least in my corner of Indy ;).

PS Bridges and multi-story are the best that happened to Wurm in many years :).

Best that happened? It made us grind paving skill just to make decent floors. WTF, who had that dumbass idea?

(See? It's easy to say things like that :))

1 hour ago, Chakron said:

It made us grind paving skill just to make decent floors. WTF, who had that dumbass idea?

Yeah, that part was not good and really silly :).

Yes. Hatred against the devs should be justified because their choice of materials does not fit our taste. I hereby request that a dev have a one on one conversation with every player before releasing content to ensure that we are not offended by this content upon release.

Oh and God forbid that you are required to go elsewhere for your choice of materials. Every deed should have all the veins in existence under them to avoid these types of situations.

While we are at it, I would like to express my displease at how terrible travel is. Everything should fit in a mailbox to be sent, and there should be a portal in every deed so I can go there when I have to send bulk items. Instant travel. Also, devs, please make sure you understand the discomfort you cause us when we can't find people to sell our materials to. Make sure than only my deed has all the valuable materials in existence so I can sell all products to everyone else at a markup.

Make these corrections quickly so the game can be more balanced... Towards me.

:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Welcome to Wurm.

Just a side note: 

Being a social game, you probably could have asked in freedom / trade chat for someone to send / sell you a shard for coppers. I would have been happy to send you a shard I had to travel to find in a dead deed mine that I had no issues mining myself and did not see fit to complain because it was a no brainer.

Also I used a few baking stones in the past in rl. I am not sure if any of them were marble. I know I used slate one and granite. They work awesome.

Edited by Saicotic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

[irrelevant rant]

Oh, look at yourself! How clever you are with your sarcasm, right? How well you showed where I'm wrong, because you disagree with my complaint. Wow! 

Ever herd of logical fallacies? Here's one for you: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

Oh, and... who are you, again?

9 hours ago, Saicotic said:

Being a social game, you probably could have asked in freedom / trade chat for someone to send / sell you a shard for coppers. I would have been happy to send you a shard I had to travel to find in a dead deed mine that I had no issues mining myself and did not see fit to complain because it was a no brainer.

Oh, you can send shards through mail? I was sure you can't... Would've asked, obviously :). We're in a deserted kinda area, so I just scouted our mine and some abandoned ones. I hope the mailbox at the disbanded neighboring deed is still intact...

I think we can leave it at that.

It's frustrating when an item you want requires a resource you don't have on hand, but it's always best to ask around before jumping into vent about it.

Many players are willing to go to great lengths to help others, and even with minor things such as providing some marble shards, it can mean a lot to those who don't have access.

I hope Devean manages to find the marble he was needing.

• Like 4

I hadn't looked at equipment for baking yet.... only option for making bread is a marble baking stone? Really?

One of the most basic of primitive foods imaginable is bread and should be able to be made by a day one new character and the Devs set the game up to require a precious and rare resource?? The basic foods, such as bread, should be able to be made with cooking gear created from the four basic resources of wood, stone, iron, and clay. Marble is a resource that is rare or highly controlled in many cases and is regional on at least some of the servers. I suggest a clay baking stone be added with longer cook times or some other lower design spec to encourage players to move up to a marble baking stone in the future.

I will not buy a marble shard just to make a basic food stuff regardless of why the Devs did what they did. It makes no sense when Wurm is veiwed from the big picture of all the items we can create in the game and at what skill levels we can make them. This has to be an oversight or worse. I will wait for a Clay Pottery stone to be added to the game before I will participate in baking. +1 for adding a clay pottery baking stone to game soon.

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

i dont really get the problem about marble being precious or rare. wherever i moved to the area was filled up with marble veins. my old deed had 20 uncovered ones, the cave next to my current home has several dozen, a neighbouring deed has dozens too and its a pain having to smash them just to build a proper boat cave.

before the mortar and pestle and the baking stone it was a resource that had absolutely zero use except for spamming dog statues to annoy people with.

tho yeah if anyone needs marble for a stone, be it 10ql or 90+ql, lemme know i can send some cod.

Edited by Arium

Marble is rare, or completely mined out, or regional and not available at all in several areas of the servers. Some areas have it, some don't.... but that's not the major complaint with this, it's the minor complaint.

The major complaint of this is how ridiculous this is... not allowing clay to be used for a baking stone, or stone itself, and only allowing marble... one of the most basic foods is bread... and new players and others being told "buy a marble shard" to make a baking stone. Something (both bread and a baking stone) a new Player, or anyone, should be able to make in the wild, without hardly any tools or skill and the Devs seem to think it's OK to make everyone use what was added to the game to be a valuable and rare resource (marble). Sorry but to me this comes across as silly and ridiculous and I understand the OP's complaint completely.

I chose to see this issue as an oversight and I have confidence the Devs will add either a clay or rock shard based baking stone to the game soon.

Edited by geode
  • Like 4