Sign in to follow this  
Loaded

Steam Connection error

Im getting this error msg now for weeks... "Connection error: could not connect to the steam network."

steam site wont load for me either...

did i get banned or something..?

are you trying to connect from a university or work network or from home? On the Steam site it also lists a small handful of ISPs that actually block Steam:

Some ISPs have been found to block ports required for the proper operation of Steam and Steam games:

• 012.net (Steam traffic blocked)
  • Bluewin (Firewall blocks Steam from provider side - must be disabled through provider's service portal)
  • Dutch Telecom (Steam traffic blocked)
  • ISPFree (Steam traffic blocked)
  • Micronet Broadband (Steam traffic blocked)

Are you using a laptop and wireless? Can you test whether you are able to get a connection from another source, maybe a library or friends house?

Some people say reinstalling steam helped, but the fact you cannot connect to the Steam website either suggests something is blocking you. I think if you were banned, it would tell you that you were banned. I also do not think Steam can prevent you from accessing the website in your web browser. Instead they would block you from signing in after you reached the website. A final concern is whether you may have downloaded malware trying to take over your Steam account and blocking your access to the steam website, see this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/622954302097343869/  In that case, he downloaded a file that allowed someone to edit his HOSTS file to block STEAM websites.  Apparently also some people do this "as a prank". If you want information on how to check your HOSTS file, see this article.

You could also try this Steam troubleshooting page https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493    (but if you cannot connect to steam website at all, you may not be able to reach this page either) -- which again sounds like the site is being blocked. 

Try also contacting the STEAM SUPPORT PAGE online and if you cannot connect there either try contacting STEAM support by phone at 425-889-9642

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

it seems to be a connection issue with my isp... im on throttled internet atm because im out of data .. but steam is the only thing seeming not to work, does it really send that much data just for a connection? im getting around average .50mbs down .13 up :(

Apparently some ISPs do this. When I was googling to see how widespread it might be, I found at least two references to the ISP "Exede" (formerly Wildblue) doing this so I presume there are others too:

Steam being blocked by internet provider

> "One such satellite provider Exede, formerly Wildblue is making certain websites inaccessible to those that exceed a pathetically low data cap. Regardless how anyone tries to spin it, it's denial of service and they're blatantly blocking access.... I was being denied the ability to do what is considered light web activity. Even more ridiculous is the fact Steam is being blocked but not Youtube, Netflix, misc music and video streaming sites, Origin, Uplay, Skype.."

You might not be able to get that link since it is on Steam, but if "Exede" happens to be your ISP, or you simply have one with similar policies,  here are some users discussion how Steam gets not only throttled but blocked completely if you hit your limit:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/steam-being-throttled-gun6pmbqcnv45

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

i have exede :(

the plan i have currently we have un-metered usage 12am-5am ... so it works at those times, althou this is the first time its done it too me like this after running out of data... thats why i didnt complain much before because i could still play wurm even when i was on throttled speeds

i think they are trying to get me to upgrade or something ..? supposed to reset today sometime i believe so hopefully all goes back to normal!

Edited by Loaded