Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

New Servers? Good or Bad?

I have 5 friends I speak with on a daily basis on Wurm Online. We spend a lot of time on comms and we often discuss topics which plague our fair community. One of those friends is on the ledge, and wants to quit Wurm. When asked why, his answer is simple: There is nothing left for him to do.

After 6+ years of playing, my friend has been everywhere. He has lived in every server, built every type of deed, won and lost Chaos battles, played in the Epic servers, built underground deeds, worked on making tunnnels and canals, built colossuses and basically played any type of character profession that matters. So his interest has dwindled.

Upon asking him what would rekindle his love for Wurm, his answer was a simple one: A new island.

Being a new player I balked at this. Why would we add new islands when we already have a world that is too big for the small community we have? Surely more servers equals more land, which equals a more splintered community. Or does it? However, he argues that old players need something new. New servers promise this. More lands, more places to explore, perhaps new monsters to fight or resources to be found? Maybe the love of sailing and heading to New destinations to encounter the unexpected.

What is your opinion on this? Should Wurm have a fresh new server? Maybe replace one of the current ones? Or maybe something else entirely? What would rekindle your waning love for this world we have made ours?

Please comment below. Share your opinions.

• Like 2

sounds to me like he simply got bored of wurm :) that can happen with every game and I honestly think that as example a new server, will never be able to gain interest enough to keep him much longer playing, since it's still the same game and wurm lands are not varying that much (so far).
Of course I would like to see a server with as example distinguishable biomes, with new biomes and textures and mobs and maybe some adventure type of gameplay added to it, like pregenerated cave systems with loot etc.
but I think it would be alot of work to do for wurm dev...and then I rather would want to see them spend their time on improving the game for those who are starting out, because from a game dev standpoint, if a player stays for 3-6 years on average, because the game is hooking them so much, that the longevity of the game is probably not the problem :P but the influx of new players, which btw. would probably also keep it a bit more interesting for older players aswell.

• Like 4

With the current servers spread as thin as they are, I can't say adding a new server would be a good idea because it would spread the people that play even thinner. HOWEVER, if they were to add servers that were different full biomes, it might be a good idea. 

Think of a new server with double ( or triple ) the length of winter or one that doesn't have any winter.  The one that doesn't have any "winter" would be nice for those that hate winter, but they would need to travel to get snow for their larders.  The server with a long winter would have plenty of snow for their larders, but would lose late autumn crops ( you can't grow oranges in cold climates ).

• Like 2

I myself have often longed for a new server on Wurm - maybe one that is filled with a lot of smaller islands. 

However, I don't see it happening any time soon. There are severe problems with the current servers already, and replacing one of the current ones doesn't seem very appealing either. Lots of players would lose their possession and collections and I don't see the appeal in that at all. 

In addition, the current player population on servers is just not high enough to justify a new map. Maybe if the player population permanently grows quite a lot, we might get a new server but buttom line is, it wouldn't make much sense the way things are right now.

• Like 3

I think it would just spread us out too much. We already have so much empty land. I do like the idea of an area with more adventure type of play and different things on it. Perhaps a disconnected type of place like Epic, but PVE. Bit wilder, harder to tame, more vicious creatures, etc. For the true adventurer.

• Like 1

There are players who are active in Wurm Online and visit Wurm Unlimited for something different.

There are tools available to make your own unique server.

The past year has seen many changes to Wurm Online , are you sure you have mastered it all ?

Another permanent server in WO could damage existing communities as  the creation of Xanadu did.

Short lived Special Events portals to a new temporary server occurring 4 to 6 times a year , lasting 2 weeks could add some fun. And might increase player retention.

• Like 3

If you want something new go explore xanadu.... i have trouble believing theres not space there.... what would a new island bring that the continent sized map doesnt have.....

1 hour ago, zethreal said:

With the current servers spread as thin as they are, I can't say adding a new server would be a good idea because it would spread the people that play even thinner. HOWEVER, if they were to add servers that were different full biomes, it might be a good idea. 

Think of a new server with double ( or triple ) the length of winter or one that doesn't have any winter.  The one that doesn't have any "winter" would be nice for those that hate winter, but they would need to travel to get snow for their larders.  The server with a long winter would have plenty of snow for their larders, but would lose late autumn crops ( you can't grow oranges in cold climates ).

I like this idea. Introducing new limitations per regions would incentibize trade even more.

I have also pondered about the possibility of a Kingdome as server: an area with no deeds but with excellent hunting and new exotic creatures. You will be able to build, but not deed, so people would have to keep everything tidy. It would also keep people from moving into the new server.

A new server (island) would be a classical short term solution, unless it would be so game changing that the player base would rise because of it.

• Like 1

The world is not too big for our small community.

I can hardly sail for an hour in any direction, any server, without passing one let alone numerous people/active settlements.

This is good and bad. This proximity is annoying for loners, so a fresh island opens new land for new players and people looking for a reset as well.

Dat fresh shtart.

As a mariner irl, i can sail for hours along long stretches of coastline or even open ocean and encounter people.

The gulf of alaska feels too small with one other boat running gear...

Edit.edit.

New servers should be considered carefully.

Imo, climate specific servers should be considered.

Island based maps, large landmass, river maps, tropics, northland, desert islands.

Make the current cluster the temprarate european map cluster... then spread the environment out. Hunting servers, home servers, etc.

Basically, if we make new maps, lets have cool maps.

Edited by Makarus
more wood; big fire
  • Like 2

new islands + promotional draw is a powerful combination if done well.

at this point it devs should be used as a last resort if all else fails.

xanadu was to big

14 hours ago, Miretta said:

Of course I would like to see a server with as example distinguishable biomes, 

This has always been Wurm's lost opportunity to me, something that I have always suggested as well. Everything is the same everywhere.

It would be so easy to imply too. Provide tree species with a sprout probability and death probability that depends on latitude and longitude. Make the spawn probability of animal species be dependent on tree species on tiles in the area. And make ores regional. Voila.

But many players don't want it. They are sedentary and they don't like to travel and they don't want to trade. There was a loud outrage when Xanadu opened because every player did not have all types of ore at their deed. So Rolf changed it to silence them. 

Edited by Cista

I do not feel that adding more servers to an already over stretched community would be a good idea. There are too many servers, offering much the same style of game play.

What would work to increase player numbers is to do something different with one of the existing servers.

• Like 1

Im just having fun... nothing serious here.

New server: Banish

Terrain: Volcanic

Climate: Hot

Wildlife: Hell creatures

Size: Small (Perhaps even smaller than Cele and its cousins)

An island without dirt, only rock and lava with impassable canyons and steep sides. The island itself is a creation of supervolcano that keeps bubbling in the middle. Imagine players coming with their loads of dirt or Nachos'n'Fos, with collections of sprouts to establish oasises in the barren island. Eventually this place too would be like any other server but surely it would be a bit more of a challenge to establish settlements there. (Also Hell Horses would be only available mounts in this island.)

+1 list (things that dont exist but would make this place more harsh):

- Dehydration increase (water bar going down faster in this server, possibly low-water causing damage as burn wounds)

- Add "Banish Crystals" as a random mined item like gems which can be used in process of item bonuses.

- Add "Hell Troll" which is Hell-version of normal troll to add to the list of challenging NPC mob in the island.

- Add "Hell Dragon" such as red dragon which is the islands own unique that can spawn.

- New tree stage; Snag. Randomly occurs on Mature tree stage and after Old and Shriveled stage. So its hard to get trees to grow big and healthy, and abandoned places turn to Snag-barren looking ones.

- Grass tiles might turn to dirt tiles if not surrounded by other grass tiles. Add "Water" option to water grass tiles to prevent them turning to dirt tiles.

- Wooden structures (walls) would have their decay happening even if ondeed. (promote stone structure building)

- What else...? :)

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Raybarg said:

This seems like an excellent idea. Something different. A different type of PVE playstyle that might challenge those with an explorer spirit.

1 hour ago, Raybarg said:

An island without dirt, only rock and lava with impassable canyons and steep sides. The island itself is a creation of supervolcano that keeps bubbling in the middle. Imagine players coming with their loads of dirt or Nachos'n'Fos, with collections of sprouts to establish oasises in the barren island. Eventually this place too would be like any other server but surely it would be a bit more of a challenge to establish settlements there. (Also Hell Horses would be only available mounts in this island.)

+1 list (things that dont exist but would make this place more harsh):

- Dehydration increase (water bar going down faster in this server, possibly low-water causing damage as burn wounds)

- Add "Banish Crystals" as a random mined item like gems which can be used in process of item bonuses.

- Add "Hell Troll" which is Hell-version of normal troll to add to the list of challenging NPC mob in the island.

- Add "Hell Dragon" such as red dragon which is the islands own unique that can spawn.

- New tree stage; Snag. Randomly occurs on Mature tree stage and after Old and Shriveled stage. So its hard to get trees to grow big and healthy, and abandoned places turn to Snag-barren looking ones.

- Grass tiles might turn to dirt tiles if not surrounded by other grass tiles. Add "Water" option to water grass tiles to prevent them turning to dirt tiles.

- Wooden structures (walls) would have their decay happening even if ondeed. (promote stone structure building)

- What else...? :)

- once per 3 weeks volcano should explode and burn everything => leading to server reset and generating new "volcano like map" :P

^ this way there will be space for explorers, adventurers, dragon hunters, but it will prevent Wurmians from moving there and thinning already too thin population on current servers

Edited by Zakerak
add more detailed info
  • Like 2

C H A L L E N G E

wow just figured they removed related subforums

challenge was a short shot pvp server designed to last only a few months each round, not designed to be settled or cultivated.

• Like 1

Wurm, as a game without an endless and boundless world of thoroughly written guided adventures, carefully designed quests and everlasting storylines, severely lacks something to explore. Just land isn't enough. No matter the scale and variety (such as suggested in this thread, which would be terrific), there must be something in these lands.

What it could be, i don't know. Although i can throw some ideas, this should be a whole separate discussion encouraged and run by the game designer... product manager? the team, anyway.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

Different islands is interesting idea.

Instead of being able to grow for example grapes on every island, make the islands have different climate. Different climate would support different types of crops/fruits, also different animals. Not everything should be different of course, there are universal crops/animals, but few of them are, which are island specific.

There does seem to be a pattern emerging in the answers.

I'd agree that a new, static server much like those we currently have would be a very short term solution for your friend.  After 3 months, probably at most, he'd have a new deed completely set up, top to bottom. 

Short term maps:

• Maps are picked from player creations using Wurm Unlimited. 
    • Either picked by the PR team, or curated by PR team then voted on by players... though I prefer handing it over to PR team to continue building rapport between them and playstomers.
    • If a map only lasts ~ 6 weeks, have the PR team provide a theme for the next map.  Themes might include The Himalayan, The Hawaiian, The Saharan, The Black Forest, etc.
    • If a map is to last ~ 3 months, a theme may not be needed.  The PR team would have more time to sort them out.
  • Maps only last 1.5 to 3 months.  Maximum Upkeep capped to a specific date to avoid over-payment.
  • Players can pack a Knarr (or rowboat) full of what they need for the adventure and make their trip opening day... or Day of Discovery.
  • ... suggestions
  • ... suggestions
  • ... moar suggestions

Map's End of Life:

• The map disappearing unceremoniously seems a waste of opportunity
    • Beginning of the End:
      • PvE:  Hordes of Trolls, lava monsters, other beasts of ill-repute descend upon the land.
      • Strongly defended deeds survive.  Homesteads likely get wiped.  Retreat to your nearest standing neighbor/alliance member.  Drink mead and be merry as the end of times draws near.
    • This is the End, my only friend, the End:
      • PvP:  Armageddon is upon us.  The remaining deeds pummel and destroy each other with abandon for the remaining bit of time left in the map's existence.
      • Remaining deeds wiped by a thousand dragons, or the lag induced by a thousand dragons.
  • There are no prizes or rewards for the last man or woman standing.  They die a sad and lonely life marooned on a sinking, burning map.
  • Just kidding.
  • Last man or Woman standing gets a statue built in their honor at a starter deed, letting all new players know of our illustrious survivors.  Or not.  Maybe they get a purple yule dragon baby covered in pink polka dots.

More coffee.

Edit: Beware, this is post 666!

Edited by Reylaark
Devil Inside
  • Like 2

Would be interesting to use the epic portal and pick three new different servers to explore. Valrei, Jackal and Seris could all have different biomes that you could portal over too, different mobs, weather and seasons ect.

• Like 2

Obviously I'm on team specific biome/weather server, but I really don't want to thin out the population either. If there was a tropical, no winter server, it seems like everyone would move there (though not me). Changing current servers won't work, as everyone will scream and demand their money back.