Sign in to follow this  
Zephyr40k

Support your Local Tower Guard

Hello,

I'm in EPIC, in a PVP zone, and I have a deed with a guard tower on it.  I am considering investing significant effort improving my local tower guards.  This would be through both leading creatures to them to fight to get their fightskill up, as well as making equipment for them.  Has anyone done this? Has it had a real effect on your security?   Can tower guards be ramped up to the point where they're comparable to deed guards? 

Bear in mind that tower guards will die of old age eventually, although I'm not sure how long they normally last.

Right... that is a good point, and I had wondered about that.  It is implied in the wikipedia text that tower guards keep their skills in between lives, with certain modifications.  As in, a tower guard who has trained up to high FS and suffers a death loses a bit of FS but doesn't get reset back to the baseline 35-40 FS.  I would think this also applies to death by aging?  As in, they will lose only a bit of FS due to an aging death? 

Of course, their equipment will fall to the ground when they suffer an aging death, but I'm thinking this will not happen so often as to be burdensome for me to occasionally sweep up a pile of stuff, and hand it to the newly-reincarnated version of the guard.  

I have found that tower guards equipped with a weapon seem to die off at a much quicker rate than with no weapon equipped. Also tower guards and templers should have their stats ramped up to be more effective at defending when you are offline. And like others have said reduce the cost of templers on freedom and epic.

Mavv

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, Zephyr40k said:

Right... that is a good point, and I had wondered about that.  It is implied in the wikipedia text that tower guards keep their skills in between lives, with certain modifications.  As in, a tower guard who has trained up to high FS and suffers a death loses a bit of FS but doesn't get reset back to the baseline 35-40 FS.  I would think this also applies to death by aging?  As in, they will lose only a bit of FS due to an aging death? 

This is a strange concept, basically that Tower Guards have an eternal life like player characters. I use Tower Guard help quite often and they also die quite often, especially when fighting trolls. If this is the case that after death they just respawn as the same character with reduced fighting skills then you would think that after a while they would be practically useless to actually damage or eventually kill mobs.

Also yea, I have seen their corpses lying around when they have died from old age, since in some instances no mobs can enter the deed tiles to kill them nor have I called for their help inside. In this way they are unlike player characters since pc's can't die from old age. So maybe that is why old age death would not effect their fighting skill reductions.

Myself, I had always thought of their deaths a perma-death and that another new Tower Guard (character) would then spawn. This would be the same mechanic as all animals/mobs in the game and really makes more sense to me. Why should they be treated any differently than this and have eternal life regenerations which then would negatively impact their fighting skills?

Now all this makes me wonder about Spirit Templars too. Strange stuff, eh?

=Ayes=

You all have good points here, and I have nothing to go off of than the vague wording in the wiki. When I have time I will attempt to run some experiments training up and equipping my local tower guards to see if the 'eternal life' theory is true or if they are truly fresh mobs every time they respawn. 

• Like 1

Dont know about time until death or respawn, but, really its not worth gearing them. It wont make much of a difference.

I guess if you really wanted to the most cost effective method would be 30-50ql long spears if that is possible, as they receive a massive damage bonus to mounts and mounted players which are really the major use for them (hitting horses when people ride by, or calling guards on people/their mounts when they are at your deed.)

Edited by Propheteer