Sign in to follow this  
Rinart73

Any ways to increase FPS?

It's really weird.

WU uses just ~30% of CPU, all dedicated RAM and I get ~7-10 FPS in the forest.

My specs:

Intel HD Graphics 4400

Intel Core i3 4010U

4GB RAM

I know, my specs isn't good. I tried to set all settings on low. And you know what? Texture sizes aren't affecting my FPS. I can set everything to "No Limit" and play with the same 7-10 fps that I get on low settings. I also tried to reduce draw distance but I still have the same amount of FPS. I also tried to disable VSync, GLSL(or GSLS whatever).

Only shadows can cause more fps drop, but I disabled them.

So.. what can I do? Its been around 2 years since release and there is no optimization yet?

Edited by Rinart73

Your specs are most likely at the limit of optimization, there wont be any improvement for you at all no matter what CC do.

• Cat 1

worth noting is that CPU gen can have a greater influence on performance than a GPU upgrade with this Java based game. 
I upgraded my gfx to a 1060 (3 times faster than my 750), barely noticed a climb.. upgrade a phenomIIx4 to an FX (1yr newer but still 4yrs old), frame rates doubled. (there may have been a slight bottleneck with the phenom and 1060 but nothing that quantifies a 100% increase)
If you're considering what to buy or if you ever do, it's worth taking a gander at this thread to see the sort of systems people are using.
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/137487-whats-your-rig/

As for the now... - make sure WO is using 64bit Java. if unsure, uninstall the one you have and look here; http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html
Although i suspect bigsteve is entirely right.

Edited by Steveleeb
inserted bottleneck edit.

Texture sizes won't make much difference but there are some other settings that might help  Anti aliasing often hurts more than people think, so try that off.     Try the settings I have here, turn everything down to that and if it helps the FPS, you can try turning a few back up (but not many), Start with windows resizeable and then maximize to full the screen rather than starting in fullscreen mode. Fullscreen runs more efficient in many games but ONLY if you are not alt-tabbing out of the game window, and most Wurm users alt tab a LOT. So try windows resizeable instead as it handles better bouncing back and forth.  Another thing that can make a difference is getting the newest graphics driver direct from Intel and NOT through windows update.

Try also running your system in "best performance" mode rather than best appearance.  Adjust your visual effects settings under Start > type performance > Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows > Adjust for best performance > Apply > OK. Head to the Advanced tab of the same window and ensure that Adjust the best performance of: is set to Programs as well. If you are not clear how to do this, let me know which operating system you have (Win7/Win8/Win10)

Also don't run other stuff in the background while playing Wurm. I also have only 4 gigs of ram and can usually keep it to 800-900MB per client, and can run 2-3 clients. So you have something else there competing for your system memory if you are using all free system memory up on one instance of Wurm.  If you are running singleplayer, consider instead joining a public server with a very sparse population rather than trying to run both server and client.

You won't get "optimization" from Wurm because you do not meet minimum specifications for Wurm. Minimum graphics is listed as:  Nvidia GeForce GT 4xx , Radeon HD 5xxx. Intel graphics WILL work but not well and are not officially supported. You might be able to get closer to 15-25  FPS however depending on your system. Not great but I guess better than 7 frames per second. Deep forest however is always going to cause some issues.   

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

disable shadows and bloom has helped me in the past

• Like 1