Sign in to follow this  
Bramson

Cooking Grind Guide

Aloha

Was hoping someone could point me into the direction of a Cooking grind guide for new cooks. I really never had a need to cook in the past much but now I am having to learn how to to feed myself and to keep my Veggies TOP Q when chopping. Any help or suggestions or links to a cooking grind guide would be greatly appreciated. I searched forums but did not find anything yet.

note: I am looking for a guide on best methods to grind cooking up to be able to keep Q99 veggies top Q. Would like to get up to about 70 skill. Not a link to the lovely put together Pandalet guide which was a great read but not a guide at the new system to gain best skills in cooking :P

Thank you

B

Edited by Bramson

70 shouldn't be too hard at all. Just make Breakfasts!

Vegetable + Pottery Bowl + Oven = Breakfast (20 Difficulty).

Do that once, then twice, then forever. Take a look at this and click on "Hot Food Cooking" or "Cooking". You can get up to 70 Hot Food Cooking easily in one evening. 70 "Cooking" is a bit more effort.

There are others ways to do this too, but this way is dead-simple.

it's also a lot easier to up the difficulty with the new system, if you wish to - as a general rule, adding an ingredient seems to add about 5 to the difficulty, so add another veg to that pottery bowl, and you're at 25.  And so on...

okay I will give this a go, thank you - will keep you posted

I havent tried this with the new cooking system but I assume it should still work the same as the old.

1. Start with 100 containers.

2. In an unlit oven, fill all the containers with ingredients. Start with a recipe that needs only 2 ingredients.

3. Turn on sleep bonus.

4. Light the oven.

5. Watch your skill go up.

Note:

In the new system, I am gueesing you will have to keep an eye on the difficulty of the meal to ensure it is at the appropriate level for you. 

You can increase the number of meals by making another oven with 100 more containers. At one point in my grind I was using 1250 containers and I have seen other people with as many as 10k containers.

There are ways to drag two different ingredients into one container with a single click-drag. Its hard to explain but there are videos out there that show how. With practice you can fill 1000 containers in under 10 mins, which is about how fast I got. I have heard others claim they could fill 1000 pans in under 5 mins.

Edit:

I always did this in a forge because it added 15 difficulty.

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

I havent tried this with the new cooking system but I assume it should still work the same as the old.

Yes, the old way still works.

5 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

There are ways to drag two different ingredients into one container with a single click-drag. Its hard to explain but there are videos out there that show how. With practice you can fill 1000 containers in under 10 mins, which is about how fast I got. I have heard others claim they could fill 1000 pans in under 5 mins.

Not exactly sure about the single click thing, but i know that holding the ctrl button while left clicking on multiple (different) items will highlight the ones you've clicked. You can then release ctrl and just drag the items to the desired location (in this case, frying pans).

The one trick that you can't use anymore is nails in the frying pan to add difficulty. Must be cooking ingredients in order for the old style meal to actually cook.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, As_I_Decay said:

Yes, the old way still works.

Not exactly sure about the single click thing, but i know that holding the ctrl button while left clicking on multiple (different) items will highlight the ones you've clicked. You can then release ctrl and just drag the items to the desired location (in this case, frying pans).

The one trick that you can't use anymore is nails in the frying pan to add difficulty. Must be cooking ingredients in order for the old style meal to actually cook.

now have multiple containers in your inventory, one for each material (eg a satchel of meat and a satchel of corn), highlight them as mentioned and hold down shift+enter and you can drag a specific amount of the highlighted items into the pan.

i suggest using right shift and enter (shift first, then add enter) so you have a free hand.

the amount can be changed in the settings or in the console using "setoption shift_drag_default <amount>", usually 1 for that purpose.

also i have to say that breakfast is pretty nice for low levels but completely unviable for the high 90s. but i doubt OP wants to go that high.

Edited by Arium
  • Like 2

Dec 12, 2018: I just want to Edit this post to note that a few months after I made it Devs removed the "instant cooking" of ingredients into breakfasts and meals when preheated as I described. So this method no longer works and the 100/1000's of bowls/pans being filled to cook all at once is now the only way to get fast cooking gains.

I never did the loading pans thing as I found the need for 100/1000's of pans unnecessary. Just use 1 frying pan and fill the oven with 1 ingredient and another oven/forge with the other. Light them both and drag 1 of each into the frying pan. When this makes a meal use take keybind to take it out. Then when you drag the next two in they will immediately make the meal because you have preheated all of the ingredients. Same principle as loading multiple frying pans but only needing 1 frying pan.

Now with the new cooking system some recipes will only need 1 ingredient so even less dragging into the pan/bowl or whatever container. Just need to find the particular meal or whatever cooked item that gives the best gains. Also lore'ing the container with ingredients inside will give the difficulty level or if they will even cook anything.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
dated info
  • Like 3