Sign in to follow this  
Aeryck

Export Deed Plan without creating settlement

Would love to be able to survey an area and see if you like it before deeding. Use Deed Stake to survey 100x100 or something so you can play with it in deed planner.

• Like 1

Could use range pole and dioptra for surveying too.  Not great for new players but then I think using deed planner is the least of their worries.

+1, sounds fun, and harmless.

The export plan is a benefit of owning a deed, I don't see this changing honestly.

• Like 1

it could be exploited to scout enemy territory

+1 if it will work only for area without deed/perimeter tiles

range would depend on quality of tool, 100x100 is rather too large

Edited by Zakerak

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The export plan is a benefit of owning a deed, I don't see this changing honestly.

But how do I know if I want to place a deed if I can't play with it in deed planner?

For example, I currently own a 42x100 deed on Exodus with @SugarFoxx, and I'm wanting to expand but I'm not sure if the new size will suit my needs/vision for the spot. Instead of paying 24s and increasing my upkeep from 8 to 13s a month blindly, I'd appreciate the option to scout it out first.

I still like the idea. It would only really be utilized by people planning to pay for the deed spot, anyway. What's the harm?

Jo brings up a good point I didn't even consider. I just wanted to be able to survey an area I was considering but surveying additional settlement tiles would be great too. Like she said, the only advantage this gives players is that they will spend more money which is win for Wurm.

• Like 1

Isn't that part of surveying? Actually foot walking things out, exploring the area and so on?

Using a program to do that for you seems less sandbox to me.

26 minutes ago, Brew said:

Isn't that part of surveying? Actually foot walking things out, exploring the area and so on?

It's less about what the area looks like bare, more about what the "end goal" of the area might be and whether or not your vision is possible. Many people use deedplanner... There's even a contest by Retrograde right now to plan a starter deed using deedplanner. The issue isn't that. It's that we have the option to import after we found the settlement but not prior to doing so, when planning is more important.

26 minutes ago, Brew said:

It's less about what the area looks like bare, more about what the "end goal" of the area might be and whether or not your vision is possible. Many people use deedplanner... There's even a contest by Retrograde right now to plan a starter deed using deedplanner. The issue isn't that. It's that we have the option to import after we found the settlement but not prior to doing so, when planning is more important.

I think the survey step is plenty good enough for planning a new deed location, you already have a general idea that the spot you are looking at is what you want for a location, no need to complicate things further.

Still needed. About to build a mountain bypass and would be great to know what I am getting myself into before deeding.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aeryck said:

Still needed. About to build a mountain bypass and would be great to know what I am getting myself into before deeding.

Then explore the area?

I really don't think getting an instant, detailed map of literally any huge swath of land is the intended purpose of this feature.