Sign in to follow this  
Skyfalls

The underappreciated skill

Cedar-cedar-cedar-seems like all I hear about nowdays for crafting items. People giving advice "dont build anything except cedar items cause all the other wood types are crap"

While i like cedar and its lower decay properties-building things in other wood is okay as well

Why u ask-the answer is repair skill-people overlook repair as an important skill-a person with high repair has a much easier time imping than one without

Sometimes when I am imping and fail several times in a row have a sucess - my net gain is still positive because of higher skill

Also-my items that are laying around take much less QL damage when I get around to repairing them:)

doesnt take a lot of effort to raise ur level and its very rewarding to do so.

While I dont recommend going around and repairing everything in ur area(some people dont like that)-and some things are better left alone to decay-its easy to put up a chest somewhere-in perimeter or offdeed and put something like needles in it. Then just go by every couple of days and repair. You can even turn your SB on while u do it.

While some stuff is better for leveling your repairing i.e. backpacks,forges,ships-I generally like to use a chest of wires-they decay at a pretty fast pace and at and even rate.Plus-they are cheap to make and if anyone does come bye and bash ur chest open-meh-who cares-just a bunch of wires:)

So dont be afraid to make stuff from non cedar-really the main need to worry about decay on outside things and if u are taking a long break from the game.

Also-stay away from repairing ur villages weaponsmiths 90QL weapons with low repair--big NO NO

So get working on your repair skill people--Repair=profit

Have a nice day:)

Repairing is not time productive to grind. 

Its never something I'd remotely consider grinding anything more than passively. 

I was adviced to do repairs on a new toon to grind chars.

Hm, and not long ago a newbie told me he had been tracking on same tile for hours to grind... I think chars also.

1 hour ago, Skyfalls said:

Also-stay away from repairing ur villages weaponsmiths 90QL weapons with low repair--big NO NO

Even with a decent/high repair skill, it is still unwise for you to repair your weapons if you have a fairly low weapon skill. The lower your WS skill, the more ql sheds upon repair.

Same can be said for leatherworking/armor and I would guess it's probably like that for blacksmithing items as well.

Until yesterday I had over 45 backpacks full of frying pans that were sitting around to decay. I'd use them once in a while to grind my repair skill. Not sure how high i is right now, but It is nice to have.

14 minutes ago, As_I_Decay said:

The lower your WS skill, the more ql sheds upon repair.

Are you sure this is the case? I've only read this in suggestions once.

30 minutes ago, zigozag said:

I haven't taken apart the code (via WU) or even done serious testing of it, but yes, I am most positive that it works like that.

Becket and I have fairly similar repair skill. Maybe a 5 point difference (I'm at 73-75). I prefer him to repair my drake or my weapons, because when I do, the ql tanks much quicker than when he does. It's a noticeable difference.

My WS and LW are in the high 50s range, whereas his skills are both 90+. Can't tell if it's like that with BS because both of us are 99+ there.

Edit: Boat too, now that I think about it. When I repair my boats, I go nuts because I wipe like 5+ql off in a single repair. Of course, I have some noobish skill in boatmaking (like 38), whereas Becket is much higher (probably in the 90s) and his repairs barely make a dent in the ql.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I read underappreciated and thought of tracking.

tracking is amazing after the update that fixed it so you can track players that are currently offline

2many issues and bugs around it though for it be really worth using

also the fact that you constantly need to jump off your horse to use it

1 hour ago, zigozag said:

I'm about 95% sure it's not the case.

At any rate, the OP here is forgetting that cedar containers also help slow the decay of contents, which I'm pretty sure was not entirely removed.

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

I'm about 95% sure it's not the case.

Care to give examples as to why you think the theory is wrong? I don't mind being wrong, I'd just like to make sense of why my repair work is so drastically different than his when our repair skills aren't too far off from each other. 

Besides my theory, perhaps it's the parent Misc. skill that makes the difference?

And why doesn't it affect blacksmithing items? Why do we both seem to repair equally there?

Hey Cedar isn't the end-all.

Willow is great for bows, and I use it for fishing poles too though afaik theres no bonus.

I'm just a snob and prefer oak tools, weapons, and shields for types. It actually has a bonus for coal piles.

EDIT: Also tracking overhaul needed!

Edited by Klaa