Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Get rid of or modify animal/deed ratio

23 minutes ago, Tallios said:

One option not discussed, which is that if someone wants to increase the # of animals they can keep on a deed, they why not use the same function that was instituted for deeds with to many people?

You could check an option and double or triple the # of animals you could keep on deed but it would cost x2 times more coin.

This could be a functional option,  Or and I personally like this.

Add in the mechanic that branded animals have access to the faith bonuses of your deed.  So that as you go over the base populations, the deed healing bonus counters the chance of disease and miscarriage.

As far as I know, branded animals count towards the citizen count of a deed. So if you have more branded animals than your citizen count allows, your upkeep is already doubled. The function doesn't count unbranded animals, however. Is that what you mean?

50 minutes ago, Joelle said:

As far as I know, branded animals count towards the citizen count of a deed. So if you have more branded animals than your citizen count allows, your upkeep is already doubled. The function doesn't count unbranded animals, however. Is that what you mean?

It does not say this in the wiki, and I cannot find anything on the forums to support that.  Do you remember where you heard it?  because if it's true I'd like to know

-1 you won't spend a fortune. It would cost 1.2 gold to deed a 101x101 and 20s a month to maintain it. That isn't a fortune and quite cheap for massive amount of land.

Gives good buffer too so people don't walk into a lagfest.

• Like 1

I lived in the pre-ratio Wurm, and it was nearly impossible to go near some of the breeders. FPS would drop to single digits as soon as the mass of animals was rendered (and the lag didnt help either).

The creatures limit was small too, and finding wild animals was very rare too, I think that getting rid of the animal ratio would revert the game to that state, but with bigger numbers.

• Like 1

So if I have a 11x11 deed I have to make it bigger so I can keep two horses to pull my large cart? :huh:

2 hours ago, Clatius said:

So if I have a 11x11 deed I have to make it bigger so I can keep two horses to pull my large cart? :huh:

No, an 11x11 deed is a total of 121 tiles. Given that you can keep an animal per 15 tiles you can keep 121/15 = 8 animals on deed. :)

Edited by Mornare

-1 no thanks.  If you want silly numbers of creatures, pay for a larger deed.

I think the ratio we have now is not all that bad and I am fine with it staying as is. I think lag is the least reason I would down vote this. There are tons of deeds out there that have so many decorations, lamps, buildings it makes your computer choke and sputter for a bit until it all loads in and they do not have a decoration ratio.

• Like 1

There should be a compromise. Lower but don't get rid of it. I shouldn't have to get a huge land hogging deed I don't need or want to pay for. I use like 1/4 of the land for storage(junkyard) and the rest is for the animals leaving it looking empty. I do think 100's of animals are excessive but I want more then I have now. I definitely think how  animals are handled for the most part is flawed in just about every way though I've love some of the recent tweaks.

Idea/Question:

I wonder if how decorations in a house are not shown from a distance could work for animals. When they are in a building maybe they should not path and allow us to have multiple floors. I not sure if that could work though.

On one of my smaller deeds I hit a ratio of 10 with just a few horses, I do think this should be increased to a higher amount

+1, if people are afraid that it will reduce the spawns of wild animals we could just remove that spawn cap too. i'd like that a lot.

On 2/25/2017 at 1:53 AM, Evilvision said:

I think the ratio we have now is not all that bad and I am fine with it staying as is. I think lag is the least reason I would down vote this. There are tons of deeds out there that have so many decorations, lamps, buildings it makes your computer choke and sputter for a bit until it all loads in and they do not have a decoration ratio.

Just an informative for you.  Decor items while providing their own "lag" do not require constant server notifications updates and adjustments.  Animals have a program to execute, even the ones who stand there.  This lags out the server, not so much the player computer.  Where as the litter of items across a highly decorated deed causes client frame rate lag.

6 hours ago, Arium said:

+1, if people are afraid that it will reduce the spawns of wild animals we could just remove that spawn cap too. i'd like that a lot.

Removal of spawn caps would only work if there was actually a predatory/prey system.  Something that would naturally limit the total populations.

+1. because it would be nice to not have to deal with a bunch of off deed pens that can be broken into, when we want to go on a massive OP skillgain grind for animal husb. or milking. 

Edited by polarbear
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 5:09 PM, Joelle said:

Citizens

Notes

The maximum number of citizens, including guards, is 177

The maximum number of branded animals is 177

You have 20 player citizens.

If you exceed the max amount of citizens (177), upkeep costs will be doubled.

This is the in-game deed info; I've never heard or read that they both count towards the same number and if they do, the in-game info is misleading, but given all this info comes under 'citizens' I can see how it could be construed that way. Would be useful to get some clarification on this front...

On 2/24/2017 at 12:55 PM, Rathgar said:

I lived in the pre-ratio Wurm, and it was nearly impossible to go near some of the breeders. FPS would drop to single digits as soon as the mass of animals was rendered (and the lag didnt help either).

The creatures limit was small too, and finding wild animals was very rare too, I think that getting rid of the animal ratio would revert the game to that state, but with bigger numbers.

^This, so much this.

We live in a shared world and while people claim that "it's sandbox and I can do whatever I want" it's still a sandbox that we all have to share, which means that when people won't govern their own behaviours there needs to be mechanics put into place to do it for them. It's no more "unfair" that you have to pay for your animal hoarding than it is that weaponsmiths have to repair their weapons to keep them from disappearing. A lot of effort has been put into introducing game mechanics that prevent lag and FPS problems within the game, such as storage containers to reduce the model count and bulk storage bins to prevent the physical item count from rising too high. Not to mention the regular purges of rock shards and dirt piles to counter the lag that miners and diggers caused when grinding, so it's not like breeding is a singled out activity. Breeders aren't the victims of some great injustice.

And while items do play a part in lag and FPS drops nothing matters as much to gameplay and general playability as creatures do, since they actually poll the server as well as existing in the form of a model. Hundreds of swords lying in a pile can't even compare to a handful of horses roaming around, so you're absolutely right - You better have a lot of money to spend if you want to keep a crapton of animals, because you'd basically have to cover the costs of all the people quitting if the game reverts to pre-ratio quality of gameplay. (a mild exaggeration to make a point, and the point is that is was really bad)

I'm guessing the reason you don't see the point to the ratio is that you didn't play the game before it was introduced, so you don't know how bad it was for all of us who did. No matter how much they optimize the creature code there isn't a single configuration in the world that would save us from the lag and FPS apocalypse that would hit us if all the people who "collect" animals were allowed to do it to their hearts' content. You're far from the only animal hoarder in the game, and I don't blame you for having an ingame hobby that you are passionate about. It's great that you've found a hobby that you enjoy, it really is, and I'm glad for you that you didn't have to experience the gameplay of the post-breeding pre-ratio days.