Sign in to follow this  
puncher

NIGHT DAY INSTANT CHANGES

Is this related to the reason why the planets are vibrating in the sky?

Stills arn't producing properly today either. They were fine yesterday. I've had 10 burning for 7 hours today refueling them like normal and just checked. .07 produced.  Also, One of my bison with a 2 day expected delivery time just gave birth.  Not sure if their is some RNG with birth times.

Just to reiterate, the time freezing issue is only to do with day/night. While annoying, it does not break the game in any way, shape, or form.

Restarts alone DO NOT FIX IT. It only delays it until it starts again, what the "higher ups" are working on is actually identifying what causes the time to hang and how to optimise it so it doesnt occur.

This is a long process, a lot of systems need to be investigated and tested, things need to be tweaked and monitored (there;s no way to simulate the stress that xanadu places on the code ingame, it works on every other server)

Rest assured, it's something being addressed, but until then, the lights may go off from time to time.

To address the still, it's not currently confirmed that the two are unrelated, and it's unlikely that they are, but a seperate issue with timing.

That's good to hear. I'm keeping one still burning just to watch it. Its still producing about .01 per RL hour it burns.

This golden oldie problem is back...

[16:52:28] It is 18:58:14 on day of Sleep in week 3 of the starfall of Fires in the year of 1064.

[17:10:51] It is 18:58:14 on day of Sleep in week 3 of the starfall of Fires in the year of 1064.

also worth observing that when the time jumps forward it will take that time off any food affinity timer...

Day and night messed up still, even after maint.

• Like 1

Less than 2 hours uptime and Xan is stucked again.

It feels like a process throws a mutex on a read game-time variable and either gets stuck or exits without releasing it.

2 hours ago, Erlindur said:

process throws a mutex on a read game-time variable

There is no mutex. There is actually a surprising lack of locking or synchronization in the code related to that :P

(Note: This is backseat coding, everything i'm saying is based on decompiled WU server code, so take everything i say with a grain of salt)

The time is being ticked in a task that is supposed to run in a ScheduledExecutorService with a static threadpool. That task also does other time consuming things related to the calendar, like iterating through the whole map and flipping flags on all trees when a harvest season starts/ends.

What probably is happening is either...

a) That task gets stuck on something, and since it won't be scheduled again while 1 copy is running - the time stops. There is nothing that looks like it can get stuck in the current WU code, but since the problems on xanadu started recently it might be some change that wasn't propagated to WU codebase yet.

b) Other tasks are gumming up the threadpool to the point where the time ticking task can't be scheduled. Other tasks that run on the same threadpool are pretty heavy, like updating creature positions in the database, writing out map data, etc. And xanadu has much more land and creatures than other servers so those things do take significantly longer.

3 hours ago, bdew said:

since the problems on xanadu started recently it might be some change that wasn't propagated to WU codebase yet.

I can't comment on your other points due to lack of knowledge :) but the timer issue is not a new thing.

2 hours ago, Eobersig said:

I can't comment on your other points due to lack of knowledge :) but the timer issue is not a new thing.

Do you mean the frozen world time? I know there were issues with action timers on xanadu since always, but that's something different.

43 minutes ago, bdew said:

Do you mean the frozen world time? ...

Yes, I mean the stuck game time issue with instant day/night changes, it's not a new issue, bdew.

It has apparently now totally skipped over the grape harvest time.

Edit : With the latest maint, grapes are now harvestable again and hops for the 3rd time :D

Edited by Hailiah
Update info

8 hours ago, bdew said:

There is no mutex. There is actually a surprising lack of locking or synchronization in the code related to that :P

(Note: This is backseat coding, everything i'm saying is based on decompiled WU server code, so take everything i say with a grain of salt)

The time is being ticked in a task that is supposed to run in a ScheduledExecutorService with a static threadpool. That task also does other time consuming things related to the calendar, like iterating through the whole map and flipping flags on all trees when a harvest season starts/ends.

What probably is happening is either...

a) That task gets stuck on something, and since it won't be scheduled again while 1 copy is running - the time stops. There is nothing that looks like it can get stuck in the current WU code, but since the problems on xanadu started recently it might be some change that wasn't propagated to WU codebase yet.

B) Other tasks are gumming up the threadpool to the point where the time ticking task can't be scheduled. Other tasks that run on the same threadpool are pretty heavy, like updating creature positions in the database, writing out map data, etc. And xanadu has much more land and creatures than other servers so those things do take significantly longer.

Well, I have no idea what WO server code looks like and to tell you the truth I don't really want to know. If I start seeing a game as code, I lose all fun of playing it. On top of that, I've never touched java, so I don't have the experience to fine tune anything.

What I cannot avoid though, is getting in debug mode every time I see a bug. That is why it “felt” like a mishandled mutex. You have seen the code and I trust you that it is not the case.

So, I've looked at ScheduledExecutorService and it looks pretty straightforward. They schedule a task to tick time (I guess every second, so in-game time updates) and do other things as well. Moving the sky and setting the light source seems reasonable to have smooth changes but flipping flags regarding harvests does not. Checking every second (even if the rest of the routine is never executed after a failed if) for an event that lasts for a real life day is a bit unproductive. Just schedule a new task every in-game day and get over with it. If you want to keep your harvesting randomness, just schedule an once per-in-game-year task to randomize harvest offsets.

Sharing the same static threadpool with tasks like creature movements is simply looking for trouble. There is a huge bottleneck there, especially in Xanadu where maybe is the main server-lag reason. Just one thread for creature movement, server wide? I don't know though. It doesn't feel like this is the whole problem. I guess that they assign enough threads for every task. When Xan is server-laggy, things go slow. You need to start dancing in front of a mob to get its attention and it moves really slow. Time seems to work right even then. The problem is that something makes it snap. It is an old issue. My first encounter with it was at 27/11/15 (I've asked on help channel about it), roughly a month after I joined the game. It is just getting worse.

What breaks along with the game time is sky movement and it lasts for roughly 8 in-game hours. Is there something scheduled with one hour intervals and is there a way that it can affect the time task?

This issue is happening on Deli now as well....

[22:01:51] It is 06:09:54 on Wrath day in week 1 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1064.

[22:02:55] It is 06:09:54 on Wrath day in week 1 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1064.

21 hours ago, Hailiah said:

Day and night messed up still, even after maint.

This. I was surprised yesterday to see Time broken again so soon after maintenance as well. (Xanadu)

on inde aswell 

[03:53:27] It is 13:49:16 on day of Sleep in week 1 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1064.

[03:54:06] It is 13:49:16 on day of Sleep in week 1 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1064.

and xanadu again:

[03:54:43] It is 09:55:08 on day of Sleep in week 1 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1064.

[03:55:04] It is 09:55:08 on day of Sleep in week 1 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1064.

This is known, and we are looking at what's causing the issue as well as what we can do to fix it. In the past a simple restart seemed to resolve the issue temporarily, but since it's happening more and more getting to the root cause of it is of utmost importance.

The end is near! Ragnarok is upon us! pray to the elder gods and repent!

11 hours ago, Erlindur said:

Moving the sky and setting the light source seems reasonable to have smooth changes

I guess that moving the sky is client side (and it makes sense). Placing low ql hull planks on a ship while watching the sun is funny. The sun goes down for a couple of minutes and then jumps back on its original position. It is probably the client sync with the stuck server.

Please fix this. Instead of playing I'm stuck in reversing. :(

On 22/01/2017 at 8:16 AM, Retrograde said:

What server is this happening on?

Same as on Independence, roughly half an hour ago, was ca. 5 am, and it looks like someone turn on the lights :)

A time check just a few moments ago on Xanadu...

[06:23:13] It is 17:54:34 on day of Sleep in week 1 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1064. (Light conditions was late afternoon lighting)

and now... 1 minute 29 seconds later....

[06:24:42] It is 01:54:02 on day of Awakening in week 1 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1064. (Light conditions are now nighttime)

(I saw your post Retrograde, just adding this as current event info. I'll shut up now.)

Edited by geode

I really hope this gets fixed. My guard tower had no guards and it won't spawn any new ones. Hard to deal with mobs you can't kill when the tower is useless :(

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, Angelklaine said:

I really hope this gets fixed. My guard tower had no guards and it won't spawn any new ones. Hard to deal with mobs you can't kill when the tower is useless :(

This shouldn't affect towers and guards spawning... i think

Things that go bump in the night.