Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

how to install mods

Not sure how so many posts have been made without a single one going over how to install mods that are already created for the server.

Even the mods themselves have NO information on this, most don't even have readme files

Even the "modloaders" that I found have no information on how to install the mods. their readme files were simply a list of things included in them.

Does anyone have a link to the information? It should really be a sticky on this forum.

Both the Server mod loader and the Client mod loader forum posts have clear instructions on how to install them, including the sample mods.  They're even listed under a header called "Instructions"!!  All other mod loader compatible mods go in the same place as the ones that come with each mod loader.

Note that client mod loader only works with the client, and server mod loader only works with the server.

So I found a forum post that does have instructions instead of instructions being on the actual mod page or in the actual readme file like they usually are. 

The "instructions" however. are incredibly vague.

Instructions

• Extract the contents of server-modlauncher-<version>.zip into the dedicated server dir
  • Extract the contents of the additional mods you want to intall into the dedicated server dir. This will install the required .properties files to enable the mods.
  • Start modlauncher.bat or modlauncher.sh

Patcher

•  run patcher.bat or patcher.sh to patch to server.jar and the WurmServerLaucher
  •  This will create WurmServerLaucher-patched which you can start like the original game but starts the modloaded
  •  You can then copy WurmServerLaucher-patched to WurmServerLaucher to run the loader from Steam

The only "modlauncher.bat" file I can find is buried in subfolders not in the main folder so not sure if it is the right one. and on top of that further instructions later on in the posts say that the "modlauncher.bat" file needs to be in the dedicated server dir folder. Am I supposed to be moving the files around here?
Same thing goes for the patcher.bat. it is about 5 subfolders down from the main.

You need to have the files in the correct folder. Move them if not.

2 minutes ago, Jukken said:

That doesn't tell me what the correct folder is. 

Guys a link to the actual instructions would be awesome, or a set of actual instructions would be awesome. 

Thinly veiled insults and information I have LITERALLY already posted here isn't helping.

responding to:

The only "modlauncher.bat" file I can find is buried in subfolders not in the main folder so not sure if it is the right one. and on top of that further instructions later on in the posts say that the "modlauncher.bat" file needs to be in the dedicated server dir folder. Am I supposed to be moving the files around here?

with:

isn't helping anyone.

modlauncher.bat and modlauncher.patcher go into the main folder.  (theres 2 versions of those one for servers and one for clients.) if youre using windows.

(patcher.sh for linux) so drop those files where wurmlauncher or where wurmserverlauncher is. in there you will drop a folder called mods (make sure server mods

go into the wurmserverlauncher folder and client mods in the wurmlauncher folder.

each mods will have at least 2 components (mods with graphics or more complex mods may have more files, one folder with a jar in it and a file that looks like a text file.

( these 2 need to be inside the mods folder for each mod ) if you want to use a mod, before running the patcher make sure you rename the mod file to modname.properties,

if you dont want to use it rename it modname.disabled (modname will always be the name of the mod. example. compass.properties to use, or compass.disabled.

now to activate the mods ill be honest that i dont know the difference between patcher.bat and modlauncher.bat. when i was using windows i think i only used patcher.bat.

so when you have the server mods ready just double click on patcher.bat for them to be ready to be used in server, also run a patcher bat in client with mods you

want to use in your client. some mods are exclusive you can run in server without needing to run in client or viceversa and some others more complicated are inclusive, you need

them in both server and client to run (always making sure you are running the correct version, server mods in server launcher folder and client mods in client launcher folder.)

graphics you will need mods in both client and folder. simple mods like announcer you only need in server, or compass in client.

after you have patched your mods to use in server and client you can use them according to instructions given by mod creator (some require commands in console) until

next time WU is patched, at which time you will need to run patcher.bat again. linux takes a couple more steps because linux doesnt like spaces in the folder names.

after youve done that which may sound like a lot but really isnt ( im in verbose mode today :P ) doesnt mean all mods will work. you may get errors or warnings.

read the errors to see if it gives you an idea of which mod isnt working, or install mods one at a time to make sure they work. or do like me and install them all

at once and cross your fingers.

sorry about the verbosity trying to explain it the best i can. and i do not claim to be an expert at this. there may be better ways of doing it. good luck.

heres a client example but same principle with server.

client_folder.png

mods_folder.png

and this is me below trying to learn all this stuff too

homersimpsonxray.jpg

Edited by Griffith
more typos
  • Like 1

Hey no worries Griffith, 

I could even care less if you acted like this stuff was obvious, I already admitted I don't know how to do this. at least you gave the answer instead of acting like a smug ###### and DIDN'T give the answer as the other two did.

when I do exactly this and run either the modlauncher.bat or the patcher.bat I get an error

Patcher

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server>se
t JAVA=java

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server>if
 exist runtime\bin\java.exe set JAVA=runtime\bin\java.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server>if
 exist ..\runtime\bin\java.exe set JAVA=..\runtime\bin\java.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server>ru
ntime\bin\java.exe -classpath patcher.jar;javassist.jar org.gotti.wurmunlimited.
patcher.PatchServerJar
Error: Could not find or load main class org.gotti.wurmunlimited.patcher.PatchSe
rverJar

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server>pa
use
Press any key to continue . . .

The modloader.bat actually closes before I can get anything from it but i can see there is an error in it if I open it a few times, just can't tell what it is.

well you are almost there. at this point im afraid of giving more advice since i havent used the windows version in a long time and

dont want to mislead you since like i said im no expert either.. hopefully someone more experienced can pinpoint the problem.

things i would look for are. try running once the server without patching for any updates it needs to do? or verify integrity of it then running

it once.

after running patcher bat, did it create new files in there like serverlauncherpatched. exe (not exactly sure if thats the name. and if it created it

if you tried running server from it?

if running windows 10 check that the files you dropped have the same permissions as the wurm original files, but dont change the wurm original files permissions.

like i said im pretty sure you are almost there and at this point is some small detail still blocking you. gl

ok lets keep trying. i tried replicating your problem from scratch. so i tried redownloading server modlauncher from the original post in the first page, and the files and folders it gave

me where completely different than the ones i had on my computer. so later it was mentioned something along the lines of it was changed that way so that repatching was a lot easier.

which in my case it isnt since i dont know how to use github cloning and all that stuff. so my question to you now is did you download from the first page post? if so, remove those files

and download server-modlauncher-0.21 from this page https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/releases/tag/v0.21 also in that page are some mods you can try on your server.

also seems i was a bit simplistic in telling you you only needed 2 files when in reality you need to drop 8 files and one mod folder from this download into your server.(dont really need the .sh files in reality)

if this is the problem missing those files and particularly javassist.jar will i think throw the kind of error you are getting. below are the files you need to drop in your wurmserver folder

also in there you see a file called logging.properties that saves error logs in the folder.  are we getting any warmer?

sometimes im either patient in looking for an answer or obsessive. so if im not really helping you, you can tell me to shut the fudge up. gl

do you have all these in your server folder?

servermodlaunchr.png

Edited by Griffith

After running with the new files you linked griffith it works perfectly fine. 

Exact same steps taken on every single step until using the different files.

you are nowhere near as stupid or annoying as you put on.

On 1/21/2017 at 10:49 PM, Mordeth said:

The modloader.bat actually closes before I can get anything from it but i can see there is an error in it if I open it a few times, just can't tell what it is.

Any .bat file can be modified with a text editor such as notepad++ and just add a line at the end with the word 'pause' and it will give the 'press any key to continue' opiton, which as long as there is no 'clear screen', should show what came before.  Then scroll up through the window to see what transpired.

8 hours ago, KageTenshi said:

Any .bat file can be modified with a text editor such as notepad++ and just add a line at the end with the word 'pause' and it will give the 'press any key to continue' opiton, which as long as there is no 'clear screen', should show what came before.  Then scroll up through the window to see what transpired.

I'm sure they figured it out over the 3 years that passed since that post was made lol

• Like 1