Sign in to follow this  
Erevorn

Cold - more to care about

The main thing that drew me to this game years ago was survival. We have the need to eat, we have the need to drink water. My suggestion would be to work in this direction.

We have functional seasons. We have a winter that lasts for a week and I think we should make it a real winter. We don't have a use for fur other than beds and those funny fluffy carpets. Why not turn them into clothing that you could put on you or on top of your armor to provide heat?

I suggest a functional cold system. The colder you get the lower your stamina or the slower it regenerates and you have more difficulties creating stuff (make it work like being drunk where you fail more, you know the feeling of frozen hands).

Alcohol could also lower cold, and while standing next to a fireplace you are warm too. When cold reaches zero you enter hypothermia and have ten minutes to raise your body temperature or you'll freeze and die.

There are more survival aspects I plan to cover but for now let's stick with this.

For all those who will start to -1, we could make this work only in the winter and make fur clothing not so difficult to create. It would add immersion in my opinion as now we can run around naked in the snow and be perfectly fine.

Please make this work, I really want to be able to say a meaningful "winter is coming" in kchat.

• Like 2

In some countries summer is coming is as bad, more water, sunscreen, hats etc.  I would like fur clothing (boots, throws, hats, coats) for fashion.  Not sure about the practicalities of bringing different requirements for survival into different seasons though, because how far do you push it?  Make ponds freeze?  Bears hibernate?  Snakes?  Wolves go white?

I've been meaning to only make it touch the players but it's not a terribly bad idea to do as you described. Imo ;)

I used to think we couldn't grow crops in winter, and I needed to have my FSB good and ready for winter.

Was kind of bummed that wasn't the case.

Hearty meals, darker ales, a lot could be done with your idea, I just wonder how effective it would be with a 5 day winter :(

I really like the idea though, would just want more of it so it's more like you said, "winter is coming."

• Like 1

I believe that this might be a good change for veteran players who are well set up, but with Wurm already containing a very difficult system for new players, I believe that cold would only add unnecessary stress to the already complicated art of surviving in Wurm as a new player. Clothing isn't necessarily super easy to make as a new player, and it isn't a premier focus upon beginning to play the game. There are plenty of challenges that await in Wurm, and cold would make things unnecessarily hard.

Due to that, I need to give this a -1.

• Like 3

Technically it's doable 

and if Wurm had started off that way I'd be down with it but at this point I think it's safe to say it would not be a well received change to the base game.

Maybe someday if pop increases substantially and there's some call for a Wurm 3.0 server then sure.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

Make ponds freeze?  Bears hibernate?  Snakes?  Wolves go white?

This type stuff, absolutely and perhaps we are headed that way anyway with the Bees hibernating as the first step.  I *love* the idea of small ponds freezing, maybe even random tiles near the shores (and maybe we could harvest ice as a better snowball) and would be cool to get some winter cloths (for fashion)

But I agree with Yldrania about it adding another level of complexity to the already tough task for some to get started.  

Perhaps if they add a sense of elevation, then maybe the mountain tops can be ultimate survival zones if you want to be forced to wear climate appropriate gear.

Edited by ClericGunem
  • Like 1

+1

Like someone said above, I expected too when starting in wurm that winter has a meaning, and now it has none.

Response to the feedback above about new players: just start them with some default fur clothing in inventory. Make it temporary (e.g. only lasts one winter). Problem solved.

I have mixed feelings on something like this.  While I'm all for complexity & realism in some things, in others I'm against.  I think where the line is, for me, is whether the complexity leans more towards being voluntary for the fun of those who enjoy it, as opposed to being required for those who don't. I think sometimes realism in a game can go too far and suck the fun out of a game if care isn't taken.

I'd be for something like this as long as there's no adverse effect on characters for not doing X and/or Y.  Adding perqs for characters who do, I have no problem with, and it sounds like it could add another layer of fun for those who would enjoy it.  Like the way they added bonuses into the new cooking system, for instance, yet your character will be fine if you don't happen to enjoy worrying about what you eat.  I prefer carrots to sticks.  :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 3

-1 for harsh effects. I come from Salemthegame and they somewhat recently had a coldsnap event. This was very fun for me and a bunch of other people who were ready for a challenge or just strong enough to ignore it with stuff premade. But for all those who were new it simply increased the difficulty of a hard game

+1 for frozen lake, hibernation, etc.

This could be interesting if we had servers with different seasons (some servers with very short or no winter and other servers with long harsh winters), so that those who are attracted by the survival element could choose to settle on "survival" servers and those who prefer the "eternal summer" could simply choose to settle on "easy" servers.

• Like 3

Yessssss

Freezing spray on ships!

Northerly gusts toppling trees and freezing ###### in its path

Fire. Love fire

Fire is life

Winter is death.

+1

Summer sucks. Too warm.

Seasons should suck. Survival of the fittest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arvid said:

This could be interesting if we had servers with different seasons (some servers with very short or no winter and other servers with long harsh winters), so that those who are attracted by the survival element could choose to settle on "survival" servers and those who prefer the "eternal summer" could simply choose to settle on "easy" servers.

I still want my winter eternal server.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2017 at 4:30 PM, Arvid said:

There's no way to do this without angering everyone, (unless they made another new server or everyone currently living on one server voted?) but I would leave my wonderful deed, just to settle on a winter-enabled server. That weather mod is the only thing that's made me want to go play WU. 

ETA: To be clear, I'm in favor of the enhanced winter "goodies" as well as any temperature challenges. I'd take a server that had one or both, though I certainly agree with Amadee about carrots over sticks. 

Edited by NeeNee

Have you ever played Unreal World? The water freezes there. Rivers turn into highways in the winter, but you have a chance to fall through! Clothes are a must. Winter months are rough, before you get a nice house you spend most of your time babysitting your warmth. It's a great game for that freezing-to-death fix some of us crave.

I've always been for having more severe temperatures and even full blown climate differences on entire servers: oceans with atolls, gravel and sand deserts with few water spots, frozen northlands, etc.

To help mitigate the impact on players, the current servers could be the more temperate climates.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Klaa said:

I've always been for having more severe temperatures and even full blown climate differences on entire servers: oceans with atolls, gravel and sand deserts with few water spots, frozen northlands, etc.

To help mitigate the impact on players, the current servers could be the more temperate climates.

I can only imagine people would go "stop destroying my home". There are too many people who are afraid to lose something. Where I am going with this is that if we had one huge server with (as someone earlier said) a frozen north, a huge dead desert in the middle and forests on the sides (keep the north as deadly as xan) it would be fun. At least in my view. We could build a wall to keep the northern wildlings out and live in peace in whichever climate we chose. Also the forest between the icelands and the desert would have a winter as well. And the server would be 64x64 and it would be the only one.

But as I said, someone will go "stop destroying my home and trying to change wurm" on me.

2 hours ago, Erevorn said:

I can only imagine people would go "stop destroying my home". There are too many people who are afraid to lose something. Where I am going with this is that if we had one huge server with (as someone earlier said) a frozen north, a huge dead desert in the middle and forests on the sides (keep the north as deadly as xan) it would be fun. At least in my view. We could build a wall to keep the northern wildlings out and live in peace in whichever climate we chose. Also the forest between the icelands and the desert would have a winter as well. And the server would be 64x64 and it would be the only one.

But as I said, someone will go "stop destroying my home and trying to change wurm" on me.

That's why the current maps could have almost no impact from any kind of temperature changes, except for maybe some slower/no growth crops in winter.

More temperate latitudes.