Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Breeding rework

One of the main problems with the AH system currently is that there are more reasons to stay at 50 skill than there are to go above it. The chances of negative traits are a serious drawback to ever grinding it any higher, and I think this needs to change; it should be desirable to have skills higher, not lower. A good way to do this would be to add motivations that are available only at higher skills. My idea is we modify it so that names and traits that currently can't be passed down have a chance at being passed on by parents at higher AH levels.

1. Horse names or parts of names have a higher chance of passing down to offspring at a higher AH level.

2. Males can pass on conditions such as champion, greenish, etc. as well as females with a small chance at first, increasing with AH level.

3. Christmas animals can pass on their names (bird, French, piper, etc.) only at a very high AH level.

4. Over 90 AH cared for animals never die of anything (currently they drop dead for no apparent reason, even if it's not often)

• Like 11

When I read your topic sentence, I was in complete disagreement. However, after reading through your post I have to say: Great ideas.

HUGE +1

Being able to tell at a glance when a horse is ready to breed, time till breeding state, and/or how long into pregnancy.

Tile distance can be skill-dependent akin to forestry and other skills.

• Like 5

I had made a post once upon a time requesting the ability to see days remaining on pregnancy with mouseover. having some meaningful bonuses to raise AH above 50 would be nice.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, Attenia said:

One of the main problems with the AH system currently is that there are more reasons to stay at 50 skill than there are to go above it. The chances of negative traits are a serious drawback to ever grinding it any higher, and I think this needs to change; it should be desirable to have skills higher, not lower. A good way to do this would be to add motivations that are available only at higher skills. My idea is we modify it so that names and traits that currently can't be passed down have a chance at being passed on by parents at higher AH levels.

1. Horse names or parts of names have a higher chance of passing down to offspring at a higher AH level.

2. Males can pass on conditions such as champion, greenish, etc. as well as females with a small chance at first, increasing with AH level.

3. Christmas animals can pass on their names (bird, French, piper, etc.) only at a very high AH level.

4. Over 90 AH cared for animals never die of anything (currently they drop dead for no apparent reason, even if it's not often)

1.) above 80 AH, you should be able to name your horses that you have bred.  Name would have to be set prior to maturity.

2.) A +5% chance for every 10 past 50 skill maybe for passing "Special traits"?

3.) ~~~~~

4.) When you tend an animal, it should have a power like a spell cast.  When you get 100 - 104 on these tendings, it should reverse the age of the animal being tended.  To the start of the age group it is in.

• Like 2

agree there should be motivation to take any skill higher.  i support rework that makes animal husbandry more attractive as more skill is gained.

Picking an animal name as a rather obvious downside (think inappropriate names or names that are not fit for the period).  Perhaps at as certain level, you get a choice of 5 to 10 names in a menu format.

• Like 3

+1 to this. Just started a related post, didn't realise there was another one more than 10 months old!

Good to bump this before the dev's see the post asking to add traits to peas and carrots and decide that is a hell of an idea.

• Like 2

Really though as your skill gets higher it should not become more difficult to breed animals, higher skills should let you pick traits you want and even the color of the animal.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JakeRivers said:

Really though as your skill gets higher it should not become more difficult to breed animals, higher skills should let you pick traits you want and even the color of the animal.

Yep, should be a benefit to high skills. What we have at the moment is like 50 skill weaponsmiths producing 90ql swords more efficiently than a 90 skill ws can. :blink:

• Like 1

If you get 80 or higher skill in AH you will be breeding 30 and 40 skill quality animals consistently.

50 skill gets you 50 skill traits that you want, anything higher and the chances to get traits you want go down exponentially.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, Attenia said:

I'm pretty sure "old age" is not no apparent reason....

Everything other than 4.) +1

11 hours ago, Arronicus said:

I'm pretty sure "old age" is not no apparent reason....

Cared for animals are supposed to be immortal in terms of age, so if it is age that's killing cared for animals, then it's a bug with the caring for system.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, Attenia said:

At 1st I thought #1 above was unimportant, or would open it to abuse. Well, we can already name horses, branded ones. Well abuse is already an option and is being handled. Now, I'm thinking controlling the name would be nice. Maybe limited to higher lvl AH and maybe you have to be present in local at birth?

I do like #2 above would be fun.

#3 above, not sure. Think maybe leave the xmas animals like they are.

#4 tho, now that one is interesting. I personally think 'cared for' animals should never ever die of old age. Period. I thot that was how it already was tbh. I can understand if they catch disease or get attacked by mobs they can die. But ya,  I would lower it to 80+ AH 'cared for' animals would never die of old age, period.

Grooming, at higher AH levels really should impart near magical effects. Maybe a glowy sheen (lol). At least immunity to disease, extended life. At higher AH levels, maybe even grooming outright cures disease in animals. I really liked Tallios' idea of a higher AH skill level grooming actually lowering the age of that animal to the start of that age group.

I do agree higher skill levels should not be negative. So higher AH levels should not bring/increase higher chance of negative animal characteristics. As a matter of fact, a higher AH should greatly decrease the chance of negative characteristics even when breeding parents w/ negative characteristics or when inbreeding.

Good post.

TeeeBOMB