Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Uniques (no drama)

Gee reading this thread I realized I am selfish hermit. Atleast I have nothing to complain about unique fights, some public slayings happened right next to my door. My situation is purely out of my own choosing and despite the dreams about "Wurm Instance Tool" which allows me and my 15 best friends to just form a team and click a button to teleport to private instance of an island with troll king waiting its demise... I have nothing to complain about. Just like everything in Wurm, our choice matters and pretty much all options are available to everyone. When it comes to competition, then its just matter of competitiveness and name of the game is "best wins". *shrugs*

So, Wurm Developers have given us all sort of tools and targets. If starting point is "this tool" or "that target" is crappy then its biased from the beginning. All functionality is >=0 value, no negative. Changes can be negative in nature, but changes do result in functionality which existence remains >=0. We wish for +1 on pretty much everything in the game, and thats a good thing. But mere idea about +1 does not make zero turn into -1.

• Like 1

@Raybarg  I was going to say something similar.  I've been to 2 PvE drake killings both invites and both times I went *because* the person invited me,  as in to to be social.  I've not been to any public killings because it's like going to the shopping mall on Black Friday.   About the only interesting dragon related thing I've done was on Epic either feinting and debating attacking Gomeo while he was on the black (still annoys me we chickened out) or chatting with Propheteer while he was on the black and threatening to tear down all our walls unless I gave him his 40QL shield (at least I think that's what he wanted, might have been the Finger of Fo). 

I *still* have your shield Tahj.

There's no winning Wurm, there's no true goal,  so if your goal is to get 100 carpentry, prepare to grind.  If your goal is to amass 100s of gold killing all the uniques prepare to grind.  If your goal is to min/max your skill gain by getting all the runes and maxing HFC and all rare recipes prepare to grind a *lot* and/or spend a lot of RL money.  If you just want a drake set for yourself you don't even need to grind, just don't be an ass, be active, wait a few months or two and voila.  I can't think of a single semi-expensive object in Wurm that takes less actual effort (for the folks that tag along) than a drake set.

• Like 3

I think also your going to get into a core concept of the game and that is  WHAT is it to be a Wurmian.  We all have private goals of deeds and friends and some are money investors with 1000's of dollars invested and some are month by month players.  There is a bit of a schism there and that often times causes a pretty big variance on what being a Wurmian is.

So for the big money investors its getting a return on investment and knowing the "People" and being a part of a powerful mentality.  For the month by month people its more the uniqueness of the game and niche game play style.  One person said the other day the reason there are no gold farmers in Wurm is  because they would go broke.  Also I think because of the lower population this game has we feel this schism much more strongly then we might in a game of 150,000 online players.  SO whatever solution if any that is put i place a percentage is not going to enjoy or find it fulfilling.

Just like the cooking system enjoyed what I would call a huge and I think so pretty successful overhaul I think the unique system probably needs the same.  Thing with cooking was unless you had made 10,000 frying pans and were mass HFC SD spamming your investment was pretty small besides the veggies.

I still think making them easier to find and a kill timer prevents people from saying they did not have a chance to participate.  It also removes the private group only kill mentality and look out after just number one.    There is no way to stop cross server killing but there is a way to give people more of a chance to be involved and perhaps build the community

Another how unfair it is that the unique that died was a private killing and no one was invited to it.

This is a sandbox and you are more than welcome to go out and find the very next unique that spawns and arrange your own public event out of it.

If you don't bother looking why all the fuss?

Reminds me of old school everquest, when the boss of a zone spawned, whoever was paying attention and watching for the spawn to happen generally did the slaying, sometimes it was a race and things got ugly, but it was all fun. That slowly changed over the years to making it easy for anyone with controlled spawns. If you want it you just head to the dungeon for your instagratification, no more competing for anything.

Myself I see no point in making another slaying public, the last one I did was full of bitching, better off just penning it up and popping it without the huge crowds and all the fuss. I mean who needs people showing up with 12 alts to a slaying, its funny to see but it adds zero to the public event.

A dragon is going to drop X-amount of scale, it takes a lot of kills to get enough individually to make a set, if you are sharing that with an extra 100 people, it means you have to kill 100x more of these dragon's to get what you want.

Even though it has been said that corpse looting loop holes have been addressed, do you still want a chance on some alt looting a corpse for a kill you arranged? There is always a chance you messed up a deed setting or some other bug shows up, keeping it private eliminates this.

I do think there should be a change to how scale/hide/blood is distributed though, it should be limited to premium accounts with x-amount of fightskill, eliminate rolling up a new throwaway alt on the day of the kill. Oh and don't give me this crap that your priest alt has no fightskill, it is something that can be built up on any account you play, if you want the prizes you should have to put a little more effort into the account other than just hitting 'prem'.

• Like 2

Jake, you didn't read the OP, did you? That's pretty much my point. The way Uniques are designed discourages sharing them. If (if!) they were introduced to be a serverwide (or clusterwide) community event, then we have a problem.

3 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Jake, you didn't read the OP, did you? That's pretty much my point. The way Uniques are designed discourages sharing them. If (if!) they were introduced to be a serverwide (or clusterwide) community event, then we have a problem.

There is no reason to share, that is what I am saying. It is up to the individual if they want to make it public or not, the system is fine in this regards.

I would hate to see slayings become some timed event like the rifts, I will do rifts if the group is not too large, but if local starts to get too large, I am outta there.

Edited by JakeRivers

As long as dragon penning is not fixed, this topic will never end.

There are still a few ways to pen a dragon outside a mine on the surface, which should be treated as exploiting. Not sure if anyone else is aware of this atm.

Edited by Sklo:D

If someone goes through the effort of finding the unique, and setting up an event, it should be down to them how they run the event. That's the way I see it at least.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

*competition, warranted access*

Must admit, the competitive part hadn't entered my mind.  As a PvE player, I couldn't really care less what my neighbor has or doesn't have unless:

1. They have something I can compliment them on, such as armor, or
  2. They don't have something I can help them attain, which sounds fun.

Different mentality.

Makes me wonder if a good portion of all this is PvP needs/wants vs. PvE needs/wants.

Which makes me suggest:

Make it impossible to import anything unique related onto Chaos:

For PvP:

1. Take a deep breath, don't have a cow.
  2. It would maintain relative scarcity on Chaos, and resulting competitiveness.
  3. It would (I think) ensure only people with warranted fight skill, or sponsored by high FS friends, will be there.
  4. It would maintain a market with limited supply for so-called investors.  ("so-called" added unnecessarily out of general disdain for the practice.)

For PvE:

1. It would allow spawn rates and mechanics more in line with that demographic's values (or lack thereof depending on your outlook) and needs.
  2. It might shift the balance of participants to a more local demographic due to decreased incentive for, uhm, not local demographic.

Maintain exportation as is:

1. It's pvp.  Go stop them.
  2. Maintenance of scarcity (aka market manipulation) for so-called investors.(come on... anyone really putting the kids through college based on the computer game armor market?)
  3. Increased competition.
  4. Increased difficulty in replacing items leading to higher adrenaline.
  5. Improved Schadenfreude for the whole family.
  • Like 1

I don't have much to say on this Unique topic other than to state that I am thankful that there is no necessity to participate in them if your gameplay centers around the creative building aspects of it. So I have never been to any of these gatherings and have no interest in doing so. Nice for others I guess, so I will leave it up to you all to sort things out. Just another aspect of choice within this game...

=Ayes=

If I was boss....

Unique creatures wouldn't drop anything special other then what we get killing common creatures. Imbuing pot/oils would be crafted with commonly acquired resources. Dragon leather and scale would be replaced with a new armor that is constructed with commonly acquired resources. The new armor and oils would be very difficult to make and require a lot of material.

• Like 3

Just need to increase unique difficulty. And make so more people can get in on the hit box.

However I think putting shards in the world all over and creating a merchant who will exchange and item/tome for shards might get people out of there deeds and searching. Can tie it in with the mission quest each one depending on difficulty has a % to make a shard fall from the sky. 

Edited by magaric

I am not really sure how to tackle the issue you raised, because I at least on freedom, have never profited from dragon slaying or unique slaying. I always considered the process fun for event making, with the occasional people privately searching for said dragon and murdering it. In a sandbox game almost anyone has the chance to go after what they want, skills, dragon slaying, rifts, exploring, it is endless and it is freedom. Now from what I gather you want the process more streamlined like other MMO's where everyone kills the big world boss and everyone gets something, or at least a chance to get something cool via a loot system or some design.

While I think that is not an incredibly bad idea, I feel like it takes away some of that freedom and want to go do it. I mean, I know people who hear a dragon spawn and get excited just to find the thing.

Also I cannot help but feel there is some degree of malice in your post, I do not know why. Almost like a "I want unique things, and I never get invited to dragon slayings" or something of that nature. I hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kendall17 said:

I see nothing wrong with the current system.

• Like 2

I've suggested ideas before to add more content to the PvE side of wurm in the form of events and special mobs that are similarly unique but different to the current uniques. I like that the current uniques are hunted and prized the way they are. I think it's a shame there are not more events like the rifts but expanded upon. Imagine something along the lines of a goblin raid where an army of goblins spawns on a server and travels around and makes a camp or something. Everyone on the server is notified of it and told where. Or a spider queen that spawns in an abandoned cave somewere on the server, and the location is broadcast so that everyone can go kill it. Or a troll shaman that spawns and runs around doing magic etc. Anything, just more fancy stuff that is fun and rewarding yet a step down from the uniques we have now, I feel like uniques are Wurm's form of bosses and the fact you have to find them and gain valuable loot from killing them makes them special.

As said before, its always good to try put together a team to go find these uniques. Ask your friends who live all over the server to help you out and search their area, you'd be surprised how likely you are to find it if you have several people looking all for the cause of making a public slaying.

go pen them yourself, then you can dictate what happens with them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, belthize said:

@Raybarg  I was going to say something similar.  I've been to 2 PvE drake killings both invites and both times I went *because* the person invited me,  as in to to be social.  I've not been to any public killings because it's like going to the shopping mall on Black Friday.   About the only interesting dragon related thing I've done was on Epic either feinting and debating attacking Gomeo while he was on the black (still annoys me we chickened out) or chatting with Propheteer while he was on the black and threatening to tear down all our walls unless I gave him his 40QL shield (at least I think that's what he wanted, might have been the Finger of Fo). 

I *still* have your shield Tahj.

There's no winning Wurm, there's no true goal,  so if your goal is to get 100 carpentry, prepare to grind.  If your goal is to amass 100s of gold killing all the uniques prepare to grind.  If your goal is to min/max your skill gain by getting all the runes and maxing HFC and all rare recipes prepare to grind a *lot* and/or spend a lot of RL money.  If you just want a drake set for yourself you don't even need to grind, just don't be an ass, be active, wait a few months or two and voila.  I can't think of a single semi-expensive object in Wurm that takes less actual effort (for the folks that tag along) than a drake set.

wheres my shield

• Like 1

And I thought it was a thread to suggest something new. Like a purple dragon >.>

purple-dragon.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, puncher said:

(2) I have been back about two months and I dont see anybody talking in Xanadu freedom chat about any killings.  MR just killed the kyklops on their deed tonight but posted a video in freedom right as it died.  I think Madt said they had 16 people and there was over 200 including alts online.  I am not saying I would have gone but knowing in advance ( I guess they were looking for it for three days) I may have wanted to go do a unique fight.  The need for secrecy in Wurm for small societies or groups of like minded people is pretty strong.

Well, two things wrong here.

Don't know what MR is since I don't see any kingdom or group with that abbreviation ingame :^)

Second, I found the kyklops outside of my deed and penned it on my deed.  Was complete dumb luck that it spawned literally 20 tiles from my deed.  This "MR" killed the forest giant not too long ago, don't know how long they spent looking for it... But I wasn't even aware the kyklops was alive until it threw me off my wagon.  Didn't want a whole huge issue with inviting people and maybe getting the tomes stolen.  I told my friends that I've known and can trust and killed it accordingly.  Same thing would of happened with a dragon, I would rather the drake/scale go towards people that will consolidate it and actually use it on a PvP server. 

Posted the videos/pictures so people can see what it looks like, not everyone gets to see it so I thought it was a cool thing to share.  Go hunting for them or you're beat.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Wolfey said:

I think the rift system is a perfect 'right way' of doing it. Everyone gets a chance at loot, and gets to work together.

This is the way uniques should spawn imo, giving everybody a chance to participate. I know the only people butthurt with this will be those who do private hunts/manipulate the dragon hide armor market.

19 hours ago, KillerSpike said:

Not sure what you are saying here.

I think what you are saying is : If I am not invited to private slayings it is because I don't have interest to the community aspect of the game.

I am actively part of our local community.  I do attend public slayings when I can. I do not attend private slaying because well, they are private and

unless you are part of the "elite" you don't know about them.

My opinion of the private Dragon slayings is so that the "elite" can get the hide and deprive the rest of us from getting any to keep the price

of dragon hide sets inflated so that they can make money. Totally against the way I understand the concept of "interest in the community".

I don't know who are all the "many of the sub communities of the Wurm population" you are talking about.

But for starters I don't believe there are that "many" of them and as stated above I believe they have only have their "sub communities" (I call it "Elite Group")

interest in mind and not of the Wurm community. 

There really is no "elite" group in Wurm lol. When I first joined less than a year ago, I heard about a unique hunting group on Deli, asked if I could join, and was involved in my first private slaying three weeks later. I've been a part of private kills ever since. You just have to ask and get involved in order to be included. There are really few people in this game who I have come across who aren't friendly or are too selfish to disclude others who want to play with them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mojo said:

Well, two things wrong here.

Don't know what MR is since I don't see any kingdom or group with that abbreviation ingame :^)

Second, I found the kyklops outside of my deed and penned it on my deed.  Was complete dumb luck that it spawned literally 20 tiles from my deed.  This "MR" killed the forest giant not too long ago, don't know how long they spent looking for it... But I wasn't even aware the kyklops was alive until it threw me off my wagon.  Didn't want a whole huge issue with inviting people and maybe getting the tomes stolen.  I told my friends that I've known and can trust and killed it accordingly.  Same thing would of happened with a dragon, I would rather the drake/scale go towards people that will consolidate it and actually use it on a PvP server. 

Posted the videos/pictures so people can see what it looks like, not everyone gets to see it so I thought it was a cool thing to share.  Go hunting for them or you're beat.

I told my friends that I've known and can trust and killed it accordingly.  Same thing would of happened with a dragon, I would rather the drake/scale go towards people that will consolidate it and actually use it on a PvP server.   

And thus the elitest attitude we were talking about. All about me and my bros rest of wurm be damned.  This is what were trying to get away from and move into a full Wurm mentality instead of just for PVP.

I think it should be as suggested that items in pve cant be brought to pvp and vice versa as far as unique items.  Right now its the best of both worlds for PVP im not sure where unlimited access to PVP servers is doing much for PVE folks.  I do see where PVP folks can utilize the PVE servers as a safe hunting zone to get armor to go make them better at PVP.  I would call this a broken mechanic that needs looked at seriously.

As far as the MR dig  I was told via text in Freedom chat it was MR.  So i had no idea until it was shared.  Also by the post id say its MR group think still going on despite the title not being there.

I'm a full PVE guy. Don't see why should we restrict shipping items to/from pvp. Now that IS  against the so much appreciated global comunity. We are all playing the same game. We are all playing differently. We can interact for the good of both playstyles. None of us will experience all the possibilities of Wurm. This is great it is why I play this game and not some other where I'm led by a storyline, a predefined path or quests. That would be very boring for me. 

More content ilike spider queens etc is fun but please don't take our hands and tell the location etc. That is dumb enough for my taste on  the rifts already ... for me it is like - how to phrase forum friendly - if being paid into the experience by father against getting the first girlfriend in life.

• Like 1