Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Animal Transport Boxes Or Hitch Animals To Ships

No, this is not another topic for animals to cross servers!!!

Here is my plight: I own an island deed. - Wow... that's great! What's so bad about that? - Well, here's the thing: As a breeder, I like to have a diversity of animals and own different types of animals on my deed. I like to breed 5-speed horses and hell horses, but I also like to breed 5-speed bulls and war-traited pigs and all kinds of other "useless" well-traited animals just for fun or my own private enjoyment. Unfortunately on an island deed, my possibility to breed a variety of animals is extremely limited. Now, in a realm like Wurm where bulk storage bins and knarrs filled with large crates are standard, I feel like the lack of possibility to transport animals in crates is extremely annoying and unnecessary. 

I therefore have this proposal: Implement Animal Transport Boxes

A possible crafting recipe: 1x Iron Fence Bars, 5x Large Nails, 50 Planks // Uses Fine Carpentry - Possible Skill Requirement To Build: 50

A possible variation: 3 different types of transport boxes, one small, one medium and one large depending on the size of the animal one wishes to transport.

A possible loading capacity: Large Cart - 2 // Corbita - 5 // Cog - 3 // Knarr - 8 // Caravel - 10

A possible error message when trying to cross servers: You are not allowed to cross servers with animals on board. Please unload all animal transport boxes before trying to cross servers.

Now, with this system, animal transport boxes would help people not only transport animals to island deeds that have no possible way of obtaining animals that can't swim at this point in time, but it would also solve another important issue: Currently, when trading with horses or other animals, if one gets disconnected while leading horses for example, the horses are un-lead and by the time one reconnects they might have run off into all different directions. With this system in place, animals would be safely loaded into ships and trading would be safer.

If not animal transport boxes, maybe at least let us hitch animals to large carts and ships so they don't get lost when we get disconnected while sailing with them.

Some Suggestions Added By Thorinoakshield

Spoiler

Some suggestions that might be added to the original post:

A possible loading capacity: 

Large Cart: 4S / 2M 

- Wagon: 5S / 3M

- Corbita - 11S /  5M  / 3L

Cog - 7S / 3M / 1L 

Knarr - 9S / 8M / 5L 

Caravel - 12S / 10M / 6L

Or combinations of those ;)

*note: S=Small, M=Medium, L=Large*

List of possible animals / cage; including some wild animals

SMALL

Chicken, Lamb, Piglett, Wild cat

Medium

Sheep, Pig, Foal, Calf, Bison calf, Hell horse foal (all three up to 1st adolescent stage), Large rat, Bear (black & brown), Mountain lion, Goblin (padlock required!), Black wolf, Cave bug

LARGE Bison, Hell Horse, Cow, Bull, Unicorn, Crocodile, Scorpion, Lavafiend, Spider, Lava spider, Hell Scorpion, Troll (padlock required!), as well as the Champion versions of all animals.

For "loading" the animals in the cage a hitch option will do. However, the wild animals need to be tamed / dominated before they're able to enter the cage

Edited by Yldrania
  • Like 19

+1 I know lots of places on Inde with allot of chickens (I always seem to run out of eggs when exploring the cooking update) that are only doable to reach if I can sail to them. Since they cant swim, I cant bring them back to my deed, unless I decide to take a horsebackride for 7 hours across terrain :P

So for me alone, for chickens, this would be a big +1

But for the unleading-horses this would be very nice to

26 minutes ago, Sila said:

make bridge to island and lead them :D

That isn't always possible depending on the distance of the island to the main land and its size. 

Also, it does not take care of the other issue - that animals become unlead when someone gets disconnected, making trading animals across servers very unsafe.

Some WU servers have this mod for transporting animals in inventory and on ships. If they can do it WO can too, I would imagine.

=Ayes=

• Like 6

Whether you're catholic, muslim, atheist or satanist ALWAYS +1 animal boxes.

+1, it will probably get stuck and forgotten somewhere anyway

• Like 1

Cog - 7S / 3M / 1L 

Knarr - 9S / 8M / 5L 

Caravel - 12S / 10M / 6L

Or combinations of those ;)

SMALL

Medium

Sheep, Pig, Foal, Calf, Bison calf, Hell horse foal (all three up to 1st adolescent stage), Large rat, Bear (black & brown), Mountain lion, Goblin (padlock required!), Black wolf, Cave bug

LARGE Bison, Hell Horse, Cow, Bull, Unicorn, Crocodile, Scorpion, Lavafiend, Spider, Lava spider, Hell Scorpion, Troll (padlock required!), as well as the Champion versions of all animals.

For "loading" the animals in the cage a hitch option will do. However, the wild animals need to be tamed / dominated before they're able to enter the cage

Thorin :)

PS: +1 ;) 

• Like 6

On 14.1.2017 at 1:38 PM, Yldrania said:

Some Suggestions Added By Thorinoakshield

Reveal hidden contents

Cog - 7S / 3M / 1L 

Knarr - 9S / 8M / 5L 

Caravel - 12S / 10M / 6L

Or combinations of those ;)

SMALL

Medium

Added your suggestions in a spoiler!

A few more suggestions about the required skill and materials needed to build the crates:

A possible crafting recipe:

-  Small size cage: 1x iron fence bars, 5 small nails, 10 planks, Possible skill requirement: 30 Carpentry

- Medium size cage: 1x iron fence bars, 5x large nails, 30 planks; possible skill requirement: 60 carpentry

- Large size cage: 5x iron fence bars, 5x small nails, 10 planks; possible skill requirement To Build: 60 black smithing.

Thorin :)

• Like 2

I think Tich has in mind a new boat for moving animals, which would be more interesting than making a animal crate.

I await the Ark

• Like 4

Something like that would certainly be desirable too, but it has the downside that the entire transport would have to be carried out over the sea. Now, Wurm also has a lot of land mass and not only coastal deeds, so my issue with trading with animals and the danger of getting disconnected - which unfortunately happens from the server side a lot more often than it should - and the animals running off, remains.

32 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

Something like that would certainly be desirable too, but it has the downside that the entire transport would have to be carried out over the sea. Now, Wurm also has a lot of land mass and not only coastal deeds, so my issue with trading with animals and the danger of getting disconnected - which unfortunately happens from the server side a lot more often than it should - and the animals running off, remains.

Why need a crate if the transportation can be done by land, can brand your animals so if lost while leading they are easy enough to find again. (except for bison, keep those suckers hitched)

+1 to everything except not using this mechanic to allow animals to cross server borders. An upgrade in animal transport over water, both between servers and within servers, is long overdue, and it makes more sense to make one update that solves all animal transport issues at once.

3 hours ago, Attenia said:

+1 to everything except not using this mechanic to allow animals to cross server borders. An upgrade in animal transport over water, both between servers and within servers, is long overdue, and it makes more sense to make one update that solves all animal transport issues at once.

I am certainly not opposed to making it possible for animals to cross servers. I did however create the thread in support of animal transport boxes over animals crossing servers, so while I'd also appreciate the upgrade for them to be able to cross server boundaries, I would be perfectly happy with a change that would allow us to get animal transport boxes at all rather than making it dependent on the possibility of animals crossing servers. 

• Like 3

+1 as an advocate for server crossing, your post does an excellent intermediary between making server to server changes first. (If they do it) not saying they will. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brew said:

+1 as an advocate for server crossing, your post does an excellent intermediary between making server to server changes first. (If they do it) not saying they will. ;)

I'm in agreement. A change as small as adding a new type of crate can have a lot of positive effects on the general Wurm experience, and open the doors for future changes - whether they will be made or not.

• Like 1

+1 even though I've been able to transport every animal I've wanted to in a crate, some assembly required.

19 hours ago, zethreal said:

+1 even though I've been able to transport every animal I've wanted to in a crate, some assembly required.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean xD

43 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean xD

kill it, butcher it, put it in a crate. might need some glue to get it back together tho.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arium said:

kill it, butcher it, put it in a crate. might need some glue to get it back together tho.

Ohhhh... that makes more sense xD 

If not animal transport boxes, maybe at least let us hitch animals to large carts and ships so they don't get lost when we get DCed.

3 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Again, sure - bridges are great. However, with the amount of server lag we have these days, especially on Xanadu, and the amount of random DC's caused by the server side alone, trading with animals is almost impossible. Thus, I'd prefer to at least have a way to transport them without losing them every time the server kicks you off!