Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

HOTA Changes Discussion

I have played a tree filed hota on New Elevation for over a year so I have plenty of experience when I say this, there was many times hota went on for 3 days not because anyone didn't want to finish it but because no one could find the last pillar(s) in the trees it was cancer. 

Not to mention all trees do is let a person run any random direction while the chaser has to try and mouse over them in the trees, on elevation when we would need to escape just run a random direction in the trees and gl them finding you it tended to make pvp happen less because escaping was super easy and very hard to find anyone when local pops before there off in some random direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Keep telling yourself that, Jake. 

I did hota dozens of times with just a few of us or even solo, nothing was broken other than lack of enemy coming to contest, you have 36 hours notice and don't do anything about it, I can't help that.

It was fun doing hota, but eventually it turns into a job as you can't ignore it or fev fev would show up and solo the event. It certainly can be changed to make it more interesting, what change were done to the Epic side of hota did not sound like they worked very well. Perhaps as someone suggested to me last night it could be changed so it spawns at random locations on the server such as rifts, but even after a bit rifts seem to generally spawn in the same area's. 

Would certainly make it harder to do a hota though if some of the pillars ended up at the summit of gedds, or in the thickest of forests, tree's are nasty for hota making it very bothersome to find the pillars, hence why we had cleared and sanded so much of hota on chaos.

Evadaly very obviously hasn't tried to do Hota on Elevation. Tree city.

• Like 3

Some trees I have no issue but when it literlly prevents you see further than 3 tiles ahead of thats when it becomes annoying and a problem. Even in old elevation south hota had an Olive forest. BL would constantly get away running through that mess. It was one of the first things new pvpers were told to run through if we had to bail. It didn't even lead us back home but was far greater chance of surviving.

An oak forest with 1 tree every 2 tiles away from other trees would be better, but only for certain areas so you can still see the pillars.

It'd also probably help if the pillars gave off some sort coloured beam like the rifts or smoke signal like what we had over santa for xmas.

5 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I did hota dozens of times with just a few of us or even solo, nothing was broken other than lack of enemy coming to contest, you have 36 hours notice and don't do anything about it, I can't help that.

Sorry, but just because you cap all 5 pillars with the blessing of your FP2 alts and 10+ bicycle accounts stashed in a mine at METH, doesn't mean you "solo'd HoTA". 

• Like 2

btw, is MR gonna be getting reimbursement for our work sanding the hota whenever you change it?

• Like 2

For those that never pvped with forest tree lines. This has been an issue for epic years.

at 0:50 you literlly see the entire group run through the forest and escape. They even mention in comms there was no way finnd them now and gamble wait at our deed for us.

We are literlly on most southern side of hora cut off from our deed to the north. There is a massive treeline that we followed around hota to get back safely. This isn't even a dense forest compared to epics hota zone.

Edit: inb4 someone Argues hhs were the cause both sides had them even the ones going same speed as us couldn't keep sights on us.

EDIT:11jk vs 8TK

Edited by shankiest
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EvaDaly said:

Hota use to be fun, with trees everywhere, i loved doing Hota then. Now the hota has not challenge in it al all Hota starts 20 to 30 mins later hota done. sand everywhere what fun? 

RIP Hota

Well now we know who suggested it. Someone who has no idea what theyre talking about.

if you want trees on hota go to a freedom server and make a suggestion to add it there for alliances to compete over. Trees on hota greatly reduces the chance of PVP. Aka why we're all playing here. You're in a huge minority for wanting it. Hell, Ebo and crusaders even did a little cease fire to start chopping them down before they reverted it

Edited by Kendall17
  • Like 1

@EvaDalyyou must not be playing the same game I am... The past few HOTAs ones that were contended by 2 or more kingdoms have lasted well past 20 - 30 mins. If you weren't so afraid you wouldn't run away the moment our king enters your local and you would have a greater chance to win and contest the HOTA.

There are many ways now vs just a few months ago to be able to figure out a way to attend hota and win. There are now 7 kingdoms on server vs just 2 or 3 there was not long ago, and it has been nice to see 4 kingdoms capture a pillar during a single HOTA, hopefully there will be more traps along with it soon and kingdoms standing tall to protect and defend their captured pillar. We recently had a less pvp experienced player almost win hota by himself while dodging crusaders and continued to stay persistent after losing captured pillars to crusaders he found more and continued to attempt to win.

Thus the reason for the suggestion to the devs... Give everyone a free rez stone auto applied only during HOTA while inside the HOTA zone. This would help ease the burden a bit while still allowing for loot to be had also allows more to attempt to attend with a little less risk.

Edited by RandomHero
  • Like 3

Eh I don't like the free Rez stone idea. It's not like a Rez stone is hard to get anyway. Plus I don't go to hota to win hota, I go to PVP and giving people free Rez stones is less of a reason to do that. 

in b4 an endless argument over whether no-drop loot is better for PvP...

14 hours ago, Samusen said:

I'm all for a dedicated HoTA server, I threw that up forever ago and it was shot down.  It actually isn't unnecessary, if we had a large and properly expanded no build zone around the HoTA.  It would have kept HoTA alive without player regulation and intervention.  Which again comes back to the same mechanical suggestion that I proposed.  Will HoTA borders that are big enough for everyone to get into and enjoy the content make it more appealing and feasible for the smaller kingdom player base.

dedicated hota server with portal
seems most fair for everyone and I suggested it long ago when we were hots with like 5 people

might actually take a bit of effort to do, but it's better than the ###### show we have at the current HotA where Grats, WU, DD and HotS have minimal participation chance.
I think the best way to go about it would be place pre-built deeds all around the edges of whatever size of small hota server it is, maybe with horses or some crap that spawns with them or idk, maybe make horse spawns on the hota area?
then randomize which kingdoms get which pre-generated deed location where they're all pretty basic deeds, and then don't have pillars spawn too close to them either.

means that assuming there's a fair enough 'template deeds' even if you get a bad spawn and end up next to top dog #1, it wont be like that next time. Plus you'd assumingly have a higher chance of being next to one of the empty deed slots anyways depending on how many there are.

Could be other ways to go about it, just threw together some random possibilities of how to go about a Portal-to-Hota change which I think is still the best way to do things.

1 hour ago, TradingAlt said:

btw, is MR gonna be getting reimbursement for our work sanding the hota whenever you change it?

1k replacement sand delivered to kratos or we'll mass /support!

Edited by Soil
  • Like 1

And yet you wont get people to come out so pick your battles. If you want more pvp give people an incentive which doesn't hurt anyone or the game, it actually would help it by allowing smaller groups to have a little less burden to bare. You want action you can get it. You don't want action well then you can keep the smug attitude about only being there for loot which is obviously not the truth, you attend hota to win the hota for the metals and the statue just like everyone else. HOTA should focus on HUNT OF THE ANCIENTS, not hunt the player, its a mini game with the possibilities for pvp but its first primarily geared towards a game and reward so lets get more people involved which will end up creating more possible reward while attending the game for its reward.

• Like 1

Random, as much as it might make sense to you that there should be PvP with  no fear of loss, you need to realize that your loss is about 90% of the reason some folks PvP at all.    Besides, Mario doesn't need any additional motivation to keep bringing Lovefail or any of his other alts out to HoTA anyway.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, RandomHero said:

And yet you wont get people to come out so pick your battles. If you want more pvp give people an incentive which doesn't hurt anyone or the game, it actually would help it by allowing smaller groups to have a little less burden to bare. You want action you can get it. You don't want action well then you can keep the smug attitude about only being there for loot which is obviously not the truth, you attend hota to win the hota for the metals and the statue just like everyone else. HOTA should focus on HUNT OF THE ANCIENTS, not hunt the player, its a mini game with the possibilities for pvp but its first primarily geared towards a game and reward so lets get more people involved which will end up creating more possible reward while attending the game for its reward.

I think i can speak for nearly all of the crusaders when I say we go to hota for the pvp. we dont care nearly as much about the metal and statue. Maybe its just an epic player mentality \o/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RandomHero said:

If you weren't so afraid you wouldn't run away the moment anyone enters your local

Fixed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

you need to realize that your loss is about 90% of the reason some folks PvP at all.   

100% of those people are 90% of the reason 87% of Wurm's population don't want to deal with PvP.

They're also usually the last people left on PvP servers in smaller games wondering why everybody else left.

18 hours ago, Kendall17 said:

In all honestly we dont even know anyone suggested it. The staff said following this that the hota is "their area" that they can do whatever they want to it and that we players have no say to it. To that i say ######. Are you the ones playing? Are you the ones spending your time or setting your alarms in the middle of your sleep to wake up and come to this event? Are you the ones spending your money to set up deeds allowing yourself to participate in this event? Are you the ones risking the gear you either spent time to make, spent money to buy, or earned through pvp? HoTA is NOT your zone. NOTHING is your zone. Unless you play. It is not your zone.

In truth, everything is their zone.  They own every last bit of binary, even that super duper longsword someone spent their RL savings on.  Code Club owned it both before, and after the transaction.  You surely already knew that but you'd be surprised how many people think they legally own things in online games.  In most instances, they really don't.

Hope something is figured out regarding HOTA's, but I wouldn't expect Devs to be limited by player committee.  Captain of the ship, Pilot in command... there's a reason a central authority is often superior to ruling by committee.  If the pilot were to depend on a poll from his passengers, splat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Random, as much as it might make sense to you that there should be PvP with  no fear of loss, you need to realize that your loss is about 90% of the reason some folks PvP at all.    Besides, Mario doesn't need any additional motivation to keep bringing Lovefail or any of his other alts out to HoTA anyway.

If you and others can't comprehend how a free rez stone only offers the ability for more action at HOTA then I'm sorry that's your loss. Numbers would defiantly rise in attendance, traps would end up being more used. Possible kingdoms working together. More exposure for HOTA all at the expense of a little chance of saved loot.

Those of you who only look to your pocket when disregarding such a suggestion you are the % of players that push people from the game or wanting to try anything.

OK, sure Mario.  Lets make Chaos free to play, remove deed upkeep costs and while we're at it disable PvP drops.   Sound good?

Oh wait....  *gasp*

Spoiler

That already exists... it's called Wurm Unlimited.

i wouldn't care either way free res stone or not if i were to add my own input
i go out in what im willing to lose and play on a pvp server
so by standard i should be showing up to anything i have a reasonable expectation to accomplish anything in, and generally do.

my 2c on the free res stone thing. wouldn't make me go to hota more, or less.