Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Forest, Meadows and Thicket

Adds 3 new tile types : Forest, Meadow and Thicket:

• Meadow - Trees/bushes will not consider meadows as viable tiles and will not spread to tiles adjacent to meadow tiles,  Flowers are twice as likely to spawn on meadow tiles.  Meadows have an extra grass growth level and only lose one level per animal graze.  Forage/botanise list skiewed towards cotton and other meadow plants.  Meadow grass seeds can sometimes be found via botanise (use on a dirt,treed or bushed tile to create a meadow tile).  Tile decoration being similar to grass but a little more verdant.
  • Forest - Trees are twice as likely to seed within forest tiles.  +1 item found when botanising in forests.  Forage/Botanise list skiewed towards mushrooms and other forest plants.  Forest fern seeds can be found via botanise (use on a treed tile to turn it into a forest tile).  Tile decoration being ferns and roots
  • Thicket - Bushes are twice as likely to seed within thicket tiles.  +1 item found when foraging in thickets.  Forage/Botanise skiewed towards veggies and other thicket plants.  Thicket undergrowth seeds can be found via botanise (use on a bushed tile to turn it into a thicket tile).  Tile decoration being herbs and roots

Tile Spread Behaviour

• Grass->Meadow : Occurs when all surrounding tiles are entirely free of bushes/trees and the tile itself contains no bush or tree.  If adjacent to at least 6 other meadow tiles a single tree is permissable.
  • Meadow->Grass : Occurs when at least 2 surrounding tiles have a bush/tree
  • Grass->Forest:  Occurs when a tile is treed and at least 6 of the surrounding tiles are also treed.  If at least 7 other forest tiles adjacent requirmeent to be treed is dropped.
  • Forest->Grass:  Occurs when a tile is treeless and at least 4 of the surrounding tiles are treeless
  • Grass->Thicket:  Occurs when a tile is bushed and at least 6 of the surrounding tiles are also bushed.  .  If at least 7 other thicket tiles adjacent requirmeent to be bushedis dropped.
  • Thicket->Grass:  Occurs when a tile is unbushed and at least 4 of the surrounding tiles are unbushed
  • Packed Dirt->Meadow : Occurs when adjacent to at least 6 other meadow tiles

"Large" trees (Oaks and Willow at the moment): 

• 3x3 area centered on the tree around tree will morph to match tile the tree is on iff the tree is Old+ (so if the base is meadow then all tiles in the killzone will become meadow tiles, if the base is forest then the rest will also be forest etc) within a 24 hour period.
  • Tiles in a 3x3 area centered on an old oak/willow are considered treed if the oak/willow is on a forest tile
  • Tiles in a 5x5 area centered on a very old/overaged oak/willow are considered treed if the oak/willow is on a forest tile
Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 9

So complex. Don't let trees and bushes sprout on flower tiles and that's it \O/

Foraging/botanising additions though... dunno.

Edited by zigozag

29 minutes ago, zigozag said:

So complex. Don't let trees and bushes sprout on flower tiles and that's it \O/

Foraging/botanising additions though... dunno.

True but...  I always wanted a forest full of ferns!

• Like 2

Going to bump this up; it's a complex behaviour that should see simple results (large open grasslands becoming meadow tiles and staying as large open grasslands, similarly with forests and thickets).

Of course, the density requirements of tree seeding would need to be dropped for forest tiles to sustain.

I would love to see meadows and glades throughout wurm.  It seems that right now, most everything has to be forest or sand...

• Like 1

I like the idea of open meadows. right now the hardest thing to maintain seems to be a meadow free of trees and bushes. at the very least don't let trees and bushes sprout on tiles with flowers.

• Like 2

Going to bump this one - I think we need a bit of a rewrite of the current tree/bush spread system, and some new tiles would really help customise homes and add variety.

• Like 1

The different tiles sound fun and would give a more varied experience when traversing nature in wurm.

But the spreading mechanics are either not explained enough or are too extreme.

Because the way it reads to me at the moment it sounds like one would overgrow the other. The way i'm reading it now, natural (regular) grass won't exist anymore. 

Also wondering how lawn gets into this mix and hay collection. 

I don't understand what you mean with +1 item with foraging in certain area's :)

• Like 1

You'd end up with the default grass for lightly forested/bushed areas with this model.  Forest cannot actually spawn without player planting due to tree spread mechanics, and meadow requires player clearing.  Thicket could spread naturally, but is the easiest to remove.

At the moment, players unlock higher grass forage/botanise finds early on - forests/hedgerows never catches up which is odd since forests have a lot more edible plants!  Hence you get an extra forage/botanist roll for those tiles.

• Like 1

Hi yes I would like meadows to dance and sing to my Swedish children.

yea I know it was Swiss, but hey. The hills are alive with the sound of arch! 

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 13:50, amorfides said:

The different tiles sound fun and would give a more varied experience when traversing nature in wurm.

But the spreading mechanics are either not explained enough or are too extreme.

Because the way it reads to me at the moment it sounds like one would overgrow the other. The way i'm reading it now, natural (regular) grass won't exist anymore. 

Also wondering how lawn gets into this mix and hay collection. 

I don't understand what you mean with +1 item with foraging in certain area's :)

Personally I never got why people bother to make hay and hay stacks. enchanted grass is a thing and it saves you lots of work. others and I would happily enchant it for free,  heck I ask random people in local when travelling if they want a free tile done and I do it 😁

Mounts gotta eat!

I've always wished forests had a proper forest floor instead of thick meadow grass. This system would go a long way to making the landscape feel more natural and varied.

2 hours ago, Berms said:

Personally I never got why people bother to make hay and hay stacks. enchanted grass is a thing and it saves you lots of work.

I use hay in cases where I don't want enchanted grass for aesthetic reasons.

Yes, I agree. I do not care much about aesthetics in wurm but maybe the intense green contrast with the wonky grass models should be replaced with something else that looks better or is more fitting.

Edited by Berms

10 hours ago, Berms said:

Personally I never got why people bother to make hay and hay stacks. enchanted grass is a thing and it saves you lots of work. others and I would happily enchant it for free,  heck I ask random people in local when travelling if they want a free tile done and I do it 😁

Mounts gotta eat!

Enchanted grass is great! 
And hay is also fun, you can use mixed grass for timber buildings. Can use it to give horses food on the way so they're less drained of stamina. 

Hay stacks are also great decoration in a barn :)