Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Stop cared for animals from dying

I know that caring for an animal makes it live a long time - years. But it doesn't live forever. Cared for animals die, even if it is years later. Could we remove this please? Personally I'd feel a lot better if I knew I wasn't going to log on one day and find one of my cared for animals dead. It's not so much of a problem for animals you can breed, as you can breed more of them before they become venerable, but for animals that you can't breed, it is a problem. Dogs and deer with conditions no longer spawn, and most of the people who have any of the remaining ones (myself included) have males, which you can't breed. I have a male slow dog which I dearly love, but I know that someday it'll die and I'll never be able to get another one, unless the caring for is changed so that it won't die as long as I care for it. There are also now the Christmas animals, all male and therefore unbreedable, which are also slated to die without hope of getting another unless this is changed.

Another factor is that many people have horse names they particularly like, and care for a horse for that reason. When that horse dies, getting another one with the same name, colour and qualities is virtually impossible. For all intents and purposes, that horse is lost forever.

• Like 1

Cared animals only die from things other than age. Caring for an animal essentially makes it immortal in terms of aging.

• Like 2

Oh really? I never knew that, I thought they inevitably died after a while. I know they can't die of hunger either, they can starve but not die. So the only things that could cause a cared for animal to die would then be disease or being attacked, correct?

They die randomly, more often after restarts. It's widely known and needs investigation in case @Retrograde's post is correct.

I had always been told that cared for means they age much much slower, but didn't necessarily live forever due to number of animals etc.

Seems odd that they would live forever, far too easy to just have alts care for animals isn't it?

Either way, interesting to learn otherwise.

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Cared animals only die from things other than age. Caring for an animal essentially makes it immortal in terms of aging.

Cared for animals can randomly die, on deeds with very good ratio (over 20), fat, groomed, not preggo, not diseased, not killed by other mobs or players.

I've lost many cared for pets, from champs to horses, from young to venerable, so no, they are not immortal.

Over the years, there were many reports, and many forum posts regarding cared for animals dying out of the blue, but I do not remember any official comment on any of them, so a bit of clarification would be great.

• Like 1

Back on the "bug or intended" thread it was asked if caredfor was intended to be immortal and iirc devs/Retro never commented definitely and it was brought up they die randomly, which made it presumable it was intended, i think i got trolled a bit over saying they were supposed to be effectively immortal in terms of age (thank you very much)  Now Retro definitively says supposed to be effectively immortal outside of disease and such...

So now, would really be nice, as Evening says, to get some clarification

• Like 1