Sign in to follow this  
OjosAzules

What a bad game!!!!

11 hours ago, luvable said:

Tree collision is SO much worse to escape from creatures. They might be slowed a tiny bit getting around but so are you. It gives no real advantage. And forget about leading animals through the forest. So many stuck animals you can't get out of trees. Especially if its on a player owned area and you can't chop trees down to get you horses etc. Never fun when you go buy horses or lead animals and they become stuck in a tree with no lead on a deed. And yes there are plenty of deeds people cut through to get places faster. And hunting.... oh boy was that a pain. Even with collision, they can still hide inside the trees to jump out and attack. And if they fall after death into a tree, you can only get out by chopping down. Thick forests were always a nightmare before. No collision has been so nice and the best thing possible in my opinion.

You know what is also a pain in the butt? Mountains! We should either A  get rid of mountains, or B  make us able to run and drive up mountains like they were not there. Now that would be QoL! As it is, mountains are a nightmare to get around, especially when there are no roads. And often I can not reach the animals that are up there. And also, I would love it if I could just walk around inside the mountain and pick out the metals I wanted, without having to mine for them.

I am of course kidding, but I am not sure if luvable is. She basically hates trees because they are there and she cannot see through them?

Retrograde: thank you, bringing back collision is the best news to come out of this game for a few years! 

• Like 1

As someone who'd played years on Wurm Online when tree collision was in place,  I can tell you that I'd much rather slide down a forested slope and bump against a tree than fall all the way down taking alot of damage at the end while trees pass through me like ghosts, as is currently the case.

Trees were a big part of mountain climbing (and falling)  tactics back then. You didn't need to build fence sections everywhere.

• Like 4

I don't mind tree collision coming back, as long as it works right. So no clipping of corpses/items/whatever through trees. Not just characters, but everything should collide with trees then so nothing can end up stuck in them.

I really liked using the collision when climbing, especially as you could sometimes rest between two trees because they were so close together.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

Those that do, do.  Those that can't whine and ###### and moan cause they give up.

Looking at some of your other posts and whines about dying.  Hey bud, we all do that when we first start, you think it's bad, you have bettter gear, a tent and a lotta other stuff most of us didn't have when we first started.  Try choosing an island, sliding down the hill 3 times cause you can't see, getting eating by trolls and just generally having a blast cause it's fresh new and Nothing is handed to me, Ever.

Learning curve isn't that bad, but being on the biggest map in game, honestly less you find a village to join that will show you the ropes, Listen to chat, ask questions, READ THE WIKI.  I can't stress enough how much of a wurm bible that wiki is, even to this day I know some vets look stuff up.

Anyways good luck on whatever you decide to do, quit, stay, whine more, it's just a game.

• Like 1

I opened this for a laugh, callous as i can be.

Your problem seems like one which can be easily solved.

You are going to play a littlw game i love.

It is called, Naked and Afraid.

My deed is p16, Xanadu. You run here. Preferably without anything on to move faster.

Once here though you woll be safe.

I havent seen an aggressive creature since getting Tulum.

If you come on down I will kit you up a bit and we can set up a house for you.

Might kust be that leg up.you need though I will leave you mostly independant.

Another alternative, Aniceset, our lovely community assistant, has an incredible deed out east named Amish Paradise.

I know many new players go there.

Final note, whatever you choose.

Wurm is not easy, never should be, and fresh off the boat with no skills means a hard knock life in the woods struggling for everything.

But of course, if humanity quit every time something got difficult, we'd still be swimming, climbing out was too hard.

Have fun, in Wurm or wherever. Pm me any time you have a Wurm question,

and consider Ejects WU proposal if you want a different pace than WO.

• Like 3

I like how suddenly everyone went off topic for 2 pages to complain about tree collisions.

• Like 4

Or how we are still posting in the thread when the OP quit already and hasn't logged back into the forums for 7 days... Think we can close this now?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kswords said:

I like how suddenly everyone went off topic for 2 pages to complain about tree collisions.

How is it off topic when it was literally pointed out in the original post?

• Like 3

Hmm. Animals don't get stuck on trees. Mobs can also glide through the trees though.

I personally like tree collision. I hated it first when was reintroduced on WU but got to like it after a week or so, better immersion. I would add collision to specific items like tables (and put cutlery etc on it), colossi and other larger solid items or furniture. But this is outside of the limits of this thread.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

When i first started to play I thought it was great to go through trees. I felt like it made the game work with less problems. I like the realistic aspects of the game and at the same time I like to not so unrealistic things like objects being super huge in your hand and when you put it down. I'm definitely not looking forward to tree collision but I'm sure I can get used to it...

• Like 2

Halfway back on topic.... 

At low levels, wearing no armor and traveling light is definitely the way to go.  If you can score a couple of longswords, it helps too with the added parry rating (I wouldn't use those as primary weapons without some proper mad skills to back them and even then it's kinda situational, like scorps will mock you).

At high levels, oh it really really works to run amuck unarmored with just a primary weapon, specially if it has a good LT on it so you can even use stuff like lions to heal back up.  I explored most of Xanadu that way both on my main and to some extent on newbie alts.

And for those who've missed it, your aggro radius shrinks if the mob is actually looking away.

Sorry late to the tree collision discussion, thought this was a 'Wurm Sucks' thread based on the title so I ignored it.

Big +1 to re-adding tree collisions. 

Maybe somebody should change the title to avoid the OT discussions about the relative merits of Wurm as a game.

Edited by belthize
  • Like 1

I'd like tree collision back as long as the game stops items from getting lost inside the trunks. This will never happen, so I don't want tree collision back.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:54 AM, Kswords said:

I like some of the responses to tree collisions too but I *Liked* those posts. Yet I don't see you *Liking* any so I kind of doubt the veracity of your statement here. Not that it is on topic either, of course. Maybe even more off topic. So if I have to pic I would just combine the to with pic, add an on and there ya go!

=Ayes=

Am I the only one who had an evil chuckle reading the OP?

6 hours ago, Klaa said:

Am I the only one who had an evil chuckle reading the OP?

I'm not there yet, only shed some nostalgic tears.

As I recall, even when we couldn't walk through trees, the mobs moved through them without hinderance.  I assumed it was much like the fact that we can't move easily up and down cliffs but mobs can.  That reason being server load.  If the server had to handle fatigue for every mob it would slow things down... if it had to figure collisions for every mob it would be the same sort of thing.  I am not a big fan of trying to dodge through a forest when the trolls can walk straight through.

Last night I made a brand new Nahjo follower to priest at a later date. I spawned on Deli so Cecci could convert me. I walked outside of town, whacked a tree with my sword and then I found a wolf.

It was a battle to the death. I won but it left me with 40% health. And that's someone who have been around 2 months or so. I kinda knew what was what.

I can't imagine in can be any easier for a new player. Cecci came and healed me. But if I was a new player I would have fallen over to the next mob I found 10m later. If this was a heavily populated game, yeah that's np. Ask for help. But many of us here forget our first time in Wurm. On my first day I spent like 5 minutes trying to talk to a wizard I saw on my starter town, only to find out 3 days later it was an npc merchant. And the first player I met? He looked very similar to the npc guard. He had to chase me around only so he could catch my attention and heal me.

I think we forget how hard it was for us. Or maybe we had a bigger community when some of you started, but we must understand the first hour of a real new player is harrowing here. If it wasn't for my friend who went to get me at Indy start town on day two of Wurm, I would had never made it out. In fact, I quit less than an hour into the game, until he bugged me to try again.

This game has a steep learning curve for new players. We take it for granted because we understand it now and forget a new player does not when they start.

• Like 3

Too many Servers

Everybody wants to be isolated and on the water. So now we have a load of half empty servers with all the players spread out.  Still can't understand why they bother with the PVP servers. all of them combined seems to rarely have more than 30 players. 

13 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

Too many Servers

Everybody wants to be isolated and on the water. So now we have a load of half empty servers with all the players spread out.  Still can't understand why they bother with the PVP servers. all of them combined seems to rarely have more than 30 players. 

Why are you worried about a few people on pvp servers?

People deed where they want to, sometimes its nice to be isolated and not worrying about cutting down a tree next to your deed because the neighbor might not like that.

Not everyone lives on the water, I know of many deeds with no easy water access, but if you like to travel around to other servers, it makes sense to have a decent harbor.

• Like 1

Wonder if having more benevolent beings with a watchful eye would help.

When I first started, never would have gotten anywhere without my brother's help, and my first neighbor Melinda up by Nightmare Lake on Deli.  It makes a huge difference.

Maybe a sponsorship program vets and elders can volunteer for.  They already do by answering on /CA and creating new player villages/academies.  I'm just thinking something that sends them a message when a new player dies, or gets injured, so they could know to pm them and offer help/encouragement.

Was also thinking maybe player gods as the benevolent beings who might step in during rough times for new players.  Offer a blessing, drop a salve, smite a troll.

Edited by Reylaark

Well personally I think the Epic servers are dying off. I think that's what lolabelle refers to. But even if we get every single Epic server into Freedom, that's what? 35 people login counts? It's not that much, and certainly is not going to tip the scales. Removing servers is also not an option. Personally I love being able to explore, and the more space there is, the more  is there to do.

Fixing things like the tutorial would help. I was told a tutorial sign to pick up a sword from a chest, but I couldn't. I was told to attack a mannequin, but it would not allow me. This is super confusing to a new player. Hell, it was to me. Fixing things like this would improve player retention, if they teach a new player to do the very basics to survive their first hour in the game.

A tutorial must show you by doing. If it doesn't work, people give up. The game is hard enough without a confusing tutorial. It won't fix problems, but it's a start.

• Like 1