Sign in to follow this  
doomstrike53

Getting ore from the ceiling/floor?

Just got the game recently and am starting to get into mining/prospecting. Wiki says the world is basically 2D and I can't have tunnels going over/under other tunnels, and that tiles/ore veins are basically pillars so depth/elevation doesn't matter really. I just finished mining a tile with salt in it, and now my prospecting is revealing that there's more salt in the ceiling/floor on the tile I just mined out, as well as analyzing stone from nearby tiles. If ores are pillars, I theoretically should be able to mine straight down with ladders and get lots more salt, or any ore for that matter. Is something like this even possible? Is there any way to get all the salt I can get out of it and will the deposit eventually stop showing up when analyzing? I'm not sure I completely understand how this fake 3D world works.

Prospecting the ores and rocks, will tell you in what direction their is other veins. If you see something that says (small traces of iron north west) go north a tile check again and keep looking. 

If you mined out the tile (Iron ore other ores/salt) it will turn to stone and you will mine it 55 more time or so give or take 8, that tile will vanish and you can continue mining else where. You will not get ores or salts from a rock tile.

On 1/9/2017 at 5:45 PM, KrojinKin said:

Prospecting the ores and rocks, will tell you in what direction their is other veins. If you see something that says (small traces of iron north west) go north a tile check again and keep looking. 

If you mined out the tile (Iron ore other ores/salt) it will turn to stone and you will mine it 55 more time or so give or take 8, that tile will vanish and you can continue mining else where. You will not get ores or salts from a rock tile.

So you're saying even though prospecting is telling me there's still salt in the floor and ceiling of the tile I just mined out, there's really none at all? And even though analyzing nearby rock shards says there's more salt nearby in the same direction as the one I mined already, there's really not?

Salt will still come from mining the floor/ceiling, but with ores, the vein will deplete before the tile breaks, meaning no metal ores or marble/slate shards from the floor or ceiling

21 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Salt will still come from mining the floor/ceiling, but with ores, the vein will deplete before the tile breaks, meaning no metal ores or marble/slate shards from the floor or ceiling

Ok, thanks for replying. So then in the case of salt then, is it worth digging out the ceiling and floor to try and get more of it or is it so common there's no need? It sort of bugs me that it's there and I might not be able to do anything about it.