Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Icebox is defective, I want a refund

On 28.01.2017 at 3:32 AM, Retrograde said:

Larder changes
The larder has also been tweaked, and should provide even more decay protection for things stored inside it, we'll be keeping an eye over them this coming Wurm winter, and will again be following all feedback about their effectiveness.

We shall see...

fDX5sUX.png?1

That's an excellent question.  The mechanic described originally didn't seem to allow for it but it wpuld certainly make sense...

1 QL larder = box with shelves and holes you can see through in the corners.

40 QL = Well sealed, solidly built

70+ QL= Double walled, stuff with thatch between and mats woven of thatch wrapping the icebox area...

Etc

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

If you have time ,get higher ql snowballs

Well, seeing Retro is around and can forward this question to the devs :

"What is the point in random (and horrible) snow QL with a rather bad mechanism to harvest them per tiles (1 snowball at 30QL woop woop, rince repeat) when you need high QL to be actually 'working as intended'? "

on a side note, why when most of the tedious is removed or smooth down that mechanism was put and remain in place?

• Like 5

Well...

Filled an icebox with 99ql snowballs yesterday (about 12 hours ago), and already one of them has 16dmg and some others have 1dmg...

This is in a 74ql larder with silver rune of Vynora on the icebox 'A single silver rune of Vynora has been attached to it, so it will reduce the decay taken of items inside (10%)'

Apparently, snowballs only make a difference in the icebox, not anywhere else - the game doesn't check the other shelves when working out decay modifiers.

Side note about snowballs, only the first(s) (seeing one or two) can be 99QL, the remaining one get lower and lower in QL. Meaning that you need to harvest around 120 to 150 tiles to fill only one larder with the needed high QL snowballs.

Large photo of the best real life alternative bellow :

Spoiler

800px-Dienay_FR21_glaciaire_IMF6633.jpg

One interesting option would be to create large underground ice storage which could be basicly a combo of a guard tower for the building part (ie. bunch of mats and actions) and a BSB with a decreasing amount of ice over time... but keeping the quality of the ice in it. It will smelt of course, but it will remain proper ice.

Those buildings were develloped in europe / middle east during the middle age. So totally fitting within the wurm lore / time frame. Large quantity of ice were stored in it (combine snowballs into ice block / harvest for ice deposits added on summits), separated with hay / saw dusts / branches (we have thatch - branches - scraps) and the water from the melted ice was drained away (and that doesn't concern us in wurm).

This would solve the snowball issue with a permanent stock of ice available all year long - those storages could last for a few years IRL - while keeping most of the larder mechanisms.

An easier (and dirtier) solution would be to allow us to store snowballs in crates - fixing the average QL - and maybe tweaking the decay further on larders.

nota. if you have time to waste, have a look through all the available data on the internet on how those ice storage - 'glaciere' in french - were used and all the work / ingeniosity our ancestors developped to keep their food fresh (and sometimes even create the first gelatos or ice creams)

Edited by Odynn
go read about our ancestors!
  • Like 4

Of 600 collected snowballs I had only 90 at 99ql.

Dunno if I dare to check my larders today :o

No ice creams for me :(

I had filled my icebox with a new pile of snowballs when winter finally rolled around...and I checked it yesterday and it had another large pile (Nearly half of them) hit with decays (We're talking 16+ dmg on 99 QL's), and we're not even out of winter yet. I restocked with purely 99 QL's yesterday. If this is 'fixed' as the notes claimed, I don't want to keep using it. This is getting ridiculous. This feature seems to be more aggravating than 'fun'/'useful'.

• Like 5

I am sure when they said they 'tweaked' the icebox, they added a week to it. You will still see decay.

Looks like I missed the last winter, and since the snow barely lasts one wurm year I'll be out for quite some time. The current implementation, which  Retro seems to imply is balanced around high ql snow, is frankly terrible. For starters, what is the point of players finding low ql snow? The ql of the snow isn't locked by some skill, so the only thing this does is force players to waste a lot of time on a boring chore involving lots of clicking.

But much more importantly, winter lasts for an extremely short amount of time compared to the other seasons, especially when consering that snow doesn't survive for much longer than a wurm year. Ever heard of this thing called vacation? Take just the wrong week off and you're screwed once you get back because your snow is gone and you missed winter, so you've got to wait around 6-7 weeks for the next winter. Buying snow from other to compensate for missing a winter isn't an option either due to the rapid decay, so there's not much you can do but suck it up.

I really hope the icebox is looked at more seriously, 1 extra week until snowballs decay doesn't cut it. It either needs to last much longer (at least 2 wurm years) or we need some way to store snow decay free, so we can create a large stockpile and refill the icebox when needed. With the storage option we would still need to put in effort to gather the snow, but missing a winter wouldn't screw you over as it does now.

In it's current state I will not bother with the icebox any further and strongly agree with Corsan that it's more aggravating than fun/useful.

Maybe if wurm uses the snow tile which has been on test for years and have it randomly spawning on mountains 

did my eyes trick me, did I just see icecream omg this game is getting crazy lol

Yes, Oz, there is a whole range of icecreams and sorbets available in WO. :P

Oh snap, my char will be singing from the mountain tops on that one lol

Right now the food larder is just a food trash bin.

Asking about new feature mechanics, how they work, and anything relative to 'test' it to see if it works is like banging your head into a wall. A wall with rusted blunt nails pointing at you.

"Let's wait and see" staff comments about features becomes "Let's wait and see how badly implemented this was!"

• Like 1

So far seems just fine, although i think no (NONE OF IT) randomness should apply to this feature.

Haven't checked yet today, but last I saw, my box had about 1-15ish dmg per for over 35 of them already...and we're what...2 RL days out of winter?

On 2/10/2017 at 0:02 PM, Shazaam said:

Right now the food larder is just a food trash bin.

That's pretty much how I feel too. I'm really kind of annoyed that we can't FSB bread anymore either...but at least flour/dough goes in there still. So basically, anytime you need a bread, or a piece of bread, or a piece of bread's bread, used for some other application, you're having to cook the bread over, slice it, possibly cook it over again, which seems like just another way to waste our time. When your playerbase starts to realize you're just doing things to annoy them/get them to spend more TIME on your game, you start losing players...

all 4 of my larders with the fancy decay runes on them are empty, they will stay unused and empty until they are fixed and usable or i get tired of looking at them and decide to move them off deed to decay with the other piles of junk. Got tired of my butter taking damage over night in a larder with a fully stocked icebox. Nice looking piece of furniture though maybe I will use them as decoration pieces. /me places a Repairs Needed tag on his larders.

Weird, didn't try butter, but our bread and meals take very little decay (below 5 dmg I think, after several days), and the jam is good as new still... The icebox has 100 snowballs with an average quality of 96. Since winter, they decayed to 7.65 average damage.