Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Icebox is defective, I want a refund

The title is a joke. However this might be a bug, granted snowballs are decaying rapidly already so there's that, I was told this would last a entire season, I have snowballs inside why are things decaying so rapidly?

Apparently this is intended, It would be nice for them to completely mitigate decay as long as there is snow inside, thoughts and feedback?

oZ85kGt.jpg

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

the snowball decay speed is what bother me more than the decay of the items inside the larder (they are supposed to slow it, not prevent it completely).

A way to store ice (BSB like) would be great, at least to remove some invisible damages between the time we gather it and the time when we store it in the larders.

• Like 2

Aye, I don't mind food decaying at a slow rate while in the larder, but the snowballs decay fast. Granted, this is admittedly realistic. With no power to keep the snow from melting, it's bound to happen. Snow melts. But does this mean that larders are seasonal?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valdor said:

Aye, I don't mind food decaying at a slow rate while in the larder, but the snowballs decay fast. Granted, this is admittedly realistic. With no power to keep the snow from melting, it's bound to happen. Snow melts. But does this mean that larders are seasonal?

If you have money to buy a magic chest, larder seems pointless, I hoped larders would be a nice system for everyone to enjoy. Now I will resort to using LMC again, which means less storage for it. :(

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Valdor said:

Didn't they place sawdust layers on top of ice in order to preserve cut ice blocks well into the summer time season in real life?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Niki said:

It would be nice for them to completely mitigate decay as long as there is snow inside

• Like 1

it is good idea to wrap meal into waxed paper, before you store it in larder ... having snowballs reserve in magic chest is good idea too, so you can replace melted snowballs in larder

These -10% from one feature, -20% from another, etc. don't help much. When one or two of my bunch of meals randomly receive a tick, they are going straight into a trashbin.

Edited by zigozag

Ice= activate water on snowball 

Ice should last much longer then a snowball 

problem solved hopefully ;) 

Edited by Maiya
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, zigozag said:

These -10% from one feature, -20% from another, etc. don't help much. When one or two of my bunch of meals randomly receive a tick, they are going straight into a trashbin.

Yeah agreed,

I think this system makes zero sense from a game design PoV, if magic chest is the answer why add a larder? Also the ticks are HUGE about the same without snow, in my opinion this whole box is flawed seriously. 

Snowballs should all be capped at 100ql when gathered so they decay at the same rate also, the random QL gather it just frustrating.

• Like 1

Ok so realistically, snowballs and such shouldn't last long at all.

But then, realistically, snow sources would be at mountain peaks in a very predictable and visible form.... and would flatten deeds here and there from avalanches but I digress................. 

Methinks it's time we applied magic to the whole sordid affair, thinking of Frost Turrets turned into boxes.   

I'll let someone actually playing WO write up the suggestion if my idea's liked.  Besides, it's always nice to create new sources of income for priests eh.

8 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

Ok so realistically, snowballs and such shouldn't last long at all.

But then, realistically, snow sources would be at mountain peaks in a very predictable and visible form.... and would flatten deeds here and there from avalanches but I digress................. 

Methinks it's time we applied magic to the whole sordid affair, thinking of Frost Turrets turned into boxes.   

I'll let someone actually playing WO write up the suggestion if my idea's liked.  Besides, it's always nice to create new sources of income for priests eh.

Stanlee had the suggestion of allowing us to collect snow from vyn frost pillar, which would could potentially be a quick way add alternate source of snow to the game (i have not looked at logic so not sure if is really noncollectable snow or just visual affects)

Ultimately extra sources of snow are not useful in my opinion as the larders do not actually appear to be reducing food damage enough to be worth the effort or anxiety.  I too have returned to using my smc and lmc for good food, I had a couple sacks of snowballs in lmc in case they decayed too fast in the larder, but not worth the space; better just to keep food in smc/lmc, limit my creation of ingredients that cannot be stored in fsb/bsb and leave my larders as decorations (they are very nice looking)   

• Like 1

Honestly when i saw the shelf labled Icebox i was like cool sweet we can add snowballs and it'll slow down the decay of the items in the larder, aka a refrigerator.... but nope.  Honestly might as well label Ice box as Bottom Shelf for all it's worth.  No I don't data mine to see if there is any acutally use or benefit from having snowballs inside, but really, 3-5 days later they're poofed, hell might as well not collect em less you're gonna use em on the spot.

Anyways thats what i'd like to see, Larder with snowballs ( or ice as someone mentioned above ) = even slower decay tiks on the items in the larder.

• Like 1

Back in the old days...you went to a frozen lake with a saw and carved out a big chunk of ice for your ice box.  Activate Saw>Right Click Shoreline (in winter)>Harvest Ice. Done. Using snow for an icebox made me literally laugh (sorry devs, its a good start however). Snow is a horribly inefficient source of cooling even if you pack the snow. 

Here is a little history on the Ice Trade and how ice was stored, and ultimately shipped, all over the world no matter the season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_trade  

Harvesting an ice block and allowing the addition of thatch to insulate and we should have a larder that would have enough cooling effect to last a season. No one is looking for zero decay, I understand that full well looking in my own refrigerator. 

• Like 3

I would more like no decay on food when in merchant inventory

• Like 2

If you ask me nothing on deeds should decay whatsoever. Logical no, but its a game and if people are paying money for a deed it should be a benefit.

• Like 4

If I was boss...

Most of the larder items would go in FSB. There would be a new food only container that completely removes decay and doesn't require any "fuel" or anything to work, just like the FSB. Players don't like decay and it should be clear that players like the FSB mechanic. Unfortunately realistic hardship are the new thing and devs with personal agendas are allowed to do stuff like the larder.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 5

Players would end up with massive amounts of meals in no time and the need for more food items would vanish. Imagine how many BSB people would fill with prepared food from leveling cooking alone. Not to mention averaging the quality of meals. It would destroy the food balance in th game and make the food mechanic utterly useless.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Players would end up with massive amounts of meals in no time and the need for more food items would vanish.

I agree, no need to stockpile food. I dont think the mechanic was broken in any way and since we are used to the food decay...leave it alone. Now that deed decay mechanics have shifted in our favor slightly we have more time to experiment and cook different foods. The Picnic Basket is "okay" food decay seems normal inside barrels stored on carts/wagons.

1 hour ago, Sila said:

I would more like no decay on food when in merchant inventory

Food items on Merchants...not really needed imo but keep trying. Glasshollow doesn't need to turn into Wal-Mart just yet. The new cooking update is encouraging more skill use (pottery, papyrus, etc) and thus more variety and challenges for folks (dare I say, interest in playing again?). Cooking should remain more "personal" rather than commercial.

• Like 2

Maybe I just have low standards, but personally I'm very happy my meals can now last several days without decay in a larder, snowballs or no.  I think we should count our blessings tbh! :D

although, if people want ice or longer lasting snowballs, perhaps wurm could get some kind of ice well. London ice wells

15 hours ago, Weatherwax said:

Here is a little history on the Ice Trade and how ice was stored, and ultimately shipped, all over the world no matter the season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_trade  

Thank you for the link, very interesting indeed...

Really?  Cooking is such a hardship, you can't manage to cook another meal in your favourite affinity every few days?  I still keep my meals in a HOTA, as a convenient way to keep them warm, so there's no decay reduction there, and I can still get 4-5 days before I need to cook again.  If you really don't want to cook, there's always refresh.

Regarding snowballs, there's nothing stopping you keeping an extra larder or 2 of snowballs, which you can use to top up your main food-storage larder until the next winter.

Food decay is fine - food that lasts forever isn't necessary, and the current decay mitigation methods (salt, wrapping, larders, etc) seem fine to me.

• Like 2

To be fair, time between ticks in a larder is greatly increased. But the ticks are still too big imo.

I need 25 year foods... how else can I prep for TEOTWAWKI!

I have my backpack, my reedpen to drink through (I filled it with cotton!), a pottery bowl full of beef jerky, a satchel of gold and silver lumps... what am I forgetting.... oh right... spare quivers of was arrows... is 12 full quivers enough?  Hmmm... Enki may still be around... better make it 24 quivers... he loves those zombies...