[18:30:39] <Mathob> (Xan) wtb a good done up deed on exo or del
[18:07:35] <Mathob> (Xan) wtb good deed at exo

He trusted him with the deed writ before actually receiving full payment for it

so this drama is more his fault than the scammers,

gotcha

4 minutes ago, Cornchips said:

so this drama is more his fault than the scammers,

gotcha

No, scammer is still responsible for scammer's own actions.

Don't take much of a backbone to take responsibility for one's own negative actions rather than always trying to pass the buck.  Assuming one has the minerals for it, of course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reylaark said:

No, scammer is still responsible for scammer's own actions.

Don't take much of a backbone to take responsibility for one's own negative actions rather than always trying to pass the buck.  Assuming one has the minerals for it, of course.

Cornchip may be rude about it but he's not wrong.
People keep falling for this stupid "I'll pay you the rest later" crap all the time and act surprised when it blows up in their face.   Sure the scammer is to blame for scamming,  but people can completely avoid being scammed by using a little common sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Sure the scammer is to blame for scamming,

The scam is the entire problem in this scenario.

Remove the scam, and the trust is a total non-issue.

Remove the trust, and you've still got the scam regardless of outcome.

Scammer deserves entirety of the Name and Shame, and if they weren't such cowardly rackin' lil vermin, they'd agree.

271009.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reylaark said:

The scam is the entire problem in this scenario.

Remove the scam, and the trust is a total non-issue.

Remove the trust, and you've still got the scam regardless of outcome.

Scammer deserves entirety of the Name and Shame, and if they weren't such cowardly rackin' lil vermin, they'd agree.

271009.jpg

Actually the scam and the trust are the problem here.   Not trying to defend the scammer, what they did was dirt and their reputation deserves a hit.
But, without foolish trust there would have been no scam.  The "I'll pay you the rest later" scam only works if someone is foolish enough to trust the scammer.
A few simple rules to not getting scammed;
1; all payments made in full at time of trade.
2; don't give people your password.
3; If you engage in real cash transactions, you're playing with fire, you are going to get burnt sooner or later.

All I'm trying to say is use a little common sense.  A lot of these Name and Shames could be avoided, people could avoid being scammed. It is really easy to avoid being scammed if you just think about it.

• Like 2

yea scamming someone is being a coward and not smart and risk-taking, you're right

1 hour ago, Cornchips said:

yea scamming someone is being a coward and not smart and risk-taking, you're right

'risk-taking' is when you get under the spotlight, fame's good, right?

And about that... does this qualify for the fame? 

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Pretty sure it's worthy of the list as you got robbed...

17 hours ago, Finnn said:

I dont think it really qualifies, since your main gripe is that you lost a friend, and there is a gray area concerning shared items and resources. that could be viewed as part of the community.
On a side note, and not trying to bash you, just prompting some introspection: your attitude in the logs seems rather egocentric and needy, and if this was just a friendship and not a romantic relationship, I personally wouldnt have endured as much bullcrap as the other person did. You have to give people room to breathe.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2017 at 6:34 AM, Greyfox said:

It is really easy to avoid being scammed if you just think about it

Awesome victim-blaming right there. Only those that don't think get scammed, only those that are weak get murdered, etc.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 1:11 PM, Rathgar said:

I dont think it really qualifies, since your main gripe is that you lost a friend, and there is a gray area concerning shared items and resources. that could be viewed as part of the community.
On a side note, and not trying to bash you, just prompting some introspection: your attitude in the logs seems rather egocentric and needy, and if this was just a friendship and not a romantic relationship, I personally wouldnt have endured as much bullcrap as the other person did. You have to give people room to breathe.

There was plenty of room, and I sure as hell was not needy, I'd consider myself for a know-how guy, I knew how to do most things in wurm, way before WU code prints and even now, I'd imagine skilling faster and more efficiently than most people. If you want to blame me for something, let that be me trusting someone too much. Either way, she did her own choice to put me aside and split with items of my own and shared items and resources. Even tho I asked her to return just about anything that is not REALLY needed, my breaking point was when she saw nothing wrong with keeping my own things. She literally said in the logs that she did nothing wrong to me.

To this day I can not understand how somebody could turn into that, after interaction with somebody else for months, 8 to 16 hours a day at times, most of the days.. keeping a PM chat active trough the day.

I sure as hell never said anything bad to her or about her to anyone, or did anything bad to her and we got to that day, not trusting me and lying to me repeatedly. There's more lies that I got later, all adding up until she just stopped inventing random reasons.

At first I needed just a simple answer to 'why' and 'how' could any of that happen with no trigger known on my side.

Now I am curious why somebody can freely steal on pve with no consequences.

Edited by shakys
Content

19 minutes ago, bdew said:

Awesome victim-blaming right there. Only those that don't think get scammed, only those that are weak get murdered, etc.

Not victim blaming,  But sometimes people can take a few simple precautions to avoid becoming victims in the first place.    Big difference between victim blaming and what I'm saying.     Victim blaming is when you blame the victim for situations they had no control over, no ability to avoid.     People do have a responsibility to protect themselves and throwing out "you're victim blaming" as an argument is ;1) Just silly and 2) doesn't change the fact that people could avoid being scammed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Victim blaming is when you blame the victim for situations they had no control over

No, victim blaming is blaming the victim rather then the perpetrator, regardless of who had control over what.

Ultimately, yes, with enough precautions most crimes can be prevented. Don't leave doors unlocked, don't go into dark alleys, don't trust anyone ever, etc.

But is this the culture you want to promote in Wurm?

• Like 4

I see both your points and think you are both right. I think the "victim" left his door open to be scammed by handing over a deed for partial payment to a complete stranger with no community reputation. This is bad news. Is like me sending my fantastic pick axe to get imped Mrdayoldnewb who posted in trade chat instead of Gumbo. 

On the other hand, this person did it with the full understanding of what he was doing. He is leaving and was trying to sell a deed that was hard to move, more because of the community value because it was a nice deed, than for the money. So he found someone willing to keep the deed, and give it some use instead of disbanding it. He was trying to do a nice thing, and instead the perpetrator turned around and disbanded it.

Is not about the money, its about the damage to the community as a whole. This person had no regard for the effort put on the deed, all he cared about were a couple of silver in the token. His actions are akin to the vandal who breaks your car window, just to scoop up the change in the cup holder, leaving you with hundreds of dollars in damage. I don't know about you, but I dont want to have someone like him in here. For this I agree he should be put in this list.

Oh and by the way, he has been seen looking for more deeds to repeat this scam with in trade chat. Clearly he is not done yet.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bdew said:

No, victim blaming is blaming the victim rather then the perpetrator, regardless of who had control over what.

Ultimately, yes, with enough precautions most crimes can be prevented. Don't leave doors unlocked, don't go into dark alleys, don't trust anyone ever, etc.

But is this the culture you want to promote in Wurm?

I am however blaming the perpetrator. I am also saying that you can avoid becoming a victim in the firstplace.   This is in no way victim blaming.    It is not victim blaming to remind someone to take some personal responsibility for their own security.  

On 4/16/2017 at 0:54 PM, Yldrania said:

This Name&Shame Post is no longer a name&shame but rather a plain warning based on personal experiences. The full amount has now been paid, making this Name&Shame invalid. We still recommend you do not trade deeds with this player unless you don't mind them being disbanded right away, but there is no longer an active scam to back that.

Reveal hidden contents

Name & Shame: Mathob

This person is still looking to buy more deeds - probably to repeat this scam. Beware!

Reveal hidden contents

[18:30:39] <Mathob> (Xan) wtb a good done up deed on exo or del
[18:07:35] <Mathob> (Xan) wtb good deed at exo

Click here for a log of what happened (link will take you to our alliance recruitment thread - directly to the comment about this incident).

Click here for a full log of everything on our alliance forums (link will take you to forums.psisphere.com - directly to the comment about this incident).

One of my alliance members - Saicotic - sold the deed The Sand Castle to this person - Mathob - at a very low price. He trusted him with the deed writ before actually receiving full payment for it, but instead of paying Saicotic the rest of the price, Mathob disbanded the deed immediately. 24 hours later the deed had disbanded and Mathob received the money from the coffers, which was at this point (due to the incomplete payment) more than he had paid for the deed.

The Sand Castle was an amazing deed which can now not be retrieved because of this person - neither can the 12.5 Silvers that were still in the coffers, or the money and effort that was put into the deed before this point in time.

Whatever you do, do NOT trade with this person without making sure you have 100% of the money he owes you for whatever you are selling to him, and if you sell him a deed be prepared for him to disband it.

I am going to weigh in on this, just to post my feelings and where I stand.

I love wurm, I love about 90% of the people who make up this great game. I have dealt with many of you in one form or another and I expect to do so in the future as well.

I am a cynic but I also like to trust people until they give me a reason not too. The transaction in question was several hours from start to finish, the person in question told me upfront about being 3s short on the deal and I agreed that I would risk it and trust they would pay me the rest later. For the amount was low and I knew where to find them if they did not pay. ;)

The initial conversation was done via forum pm's and later in game tell's. When it came time to make the deal, he was 1s more short, finding he only had 16s in the bank and a promise to make up the 4s difference. Again not a huge amount and something I could stand losing.

I was fine with the deal as is, he was busy asking in trade and forums to buy silver. (I assumed to complete his deal with me.) he later contacted me in pm's about a concern of giving someone permissions to mine iron vein in the canal. After an hour of discussing it. He stated he would be keeping the deed and was trusting me about how allowing a person to mine iron in the canal would not give that person complete and unfettered access to his deed mine. (2 different locations). I went to bed assuming he was clear on everything.

The very next day I saw the deed disband, with no further contact from him about it. Not in the forum pm's nor in game. This concerned me since he had not completed his deal with me but the property involved in the deal was gone. I posted on the alliance thread (granted it probably should have been in the alliance forum instead) that anyone dealing with him should be wary as I was left out in the cold with nothing more to go on.

It seems a lack of communication or miscommunication was a large part of the issue and he has since made good on his end of the deal. Thank you for that.

But the loss of the deed is sad, it was nice place and I hope someone can save it since he threw it away.

I want to thank Yldrania for her zeal, she cares for her alliance members. Which is awesome :D. I also want to thank any of people who I have dealt with in the past who upheld their end of the bargains, because there are a few of people who have not and left me in the lurch. Dont worry I won't be pointing you out since no money changed hands and everyone is welcome to change their minds. I do feel that people should man up and not make a lame excuse or promise further contact and don't.

So that is my rant, take it for what it is worth. ;)

• Like 3

Can I blame myself in here?

I want to be such a famous named and shamed person too, this thread and the people mentioned in it seem to become mainstream.

Edited by Sklo:D

2 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Can I blame myself in here?

I want to be such a famous named and shamed person too, this thread and the people mentioned in it seem to become mainstream.

I will defend you on the grounds of insanity.   Clearly you are insane for wanting to be in the Name and Shame so clearly you should not be.  :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greyfox said:

I will defend you on the grounds of insanity.   Clearly you are insane for wanting to be in the Name and Shame so clearly you should not be.  :P

I volunteer to prosecute on the grounds that insanity is, in fact, the natural state of being for Wurmians in their preferred habitat.  I plan on seeking the Epic penalty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reylaark said:

I volunteer to prosecute on the grounds that insanity is, in fact, the natural state of being for Wurmians in their preferred habitat.  I plan on seeking the Epic penalty.

We even have a path for the criminally insane.

On 4/19/2017 at 0:14 PM, Sklo:D said:

lambs to the slaughter, herded by the desire for monetary gain.
i guess your comment is valid, that seems pretty mainstream to me.
go for it. 

Characters Involved: Falgorn, Placebo, Chiry (Possibly)

Forum Names: Mickaell

Server: Chaos.

Details: Stole a large amount of Kingdom owned items, stole hota statues, killed countless horses and stole the gear off them, cleaned out other player's chests. Took everything not nailed down.

Is currently attempting to sell stolen items. Do not buy.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 3

Just an FYI it's not the Chiry forum name, it would be under Mickaell. He potentially still owns the character Chiry who is in the kingdom of Wurm University. This part is based off of speculation due to his shadyness so if it could be confirmed if he still owns it by WU players that'd be cool. 

• Like 2