Sign in to follow this  
Tallios

Mail system Re-work

I think it's about time the devs consider (if they haven't already) a re-working of the mail system.  So before we begin, let me don my asbestos armor, because I think it's gonna get hot in here soon.

The mail system, now especially after the cooking update is now, Out of whack.

1 sealed barrel of milk, 47 kilos now ships for 2 copper.  <---47 kilos is heavier than a full set of armor, weapons and some other stuff.

....but if you try to send 47 kilos of stuff in any other combo it's gonna be 47 copper easily.

Now I could list off a number of other examples, but this is just to highlight the issue.

I would like to suggest a system that allows people to ship by weight, not by number.  So that the total weight of the shipping object/container is taken into account.  

Example: 1 kilo = 1c  <---- this is a total suggestion, this rate could easily be changed to something higher or lower.

1 barrel of milk, 47 kilos = 47c

1 corn, 0.1 kilos = 10i 

1 rock shards, 20 kilos = 20c

1 long sword, 3 kilos = 3c

1 leather jacket, 0.6 kilos = 60i

1 black belted vest, 0.3 kilos = 30i

Now this is just an example of a new system that would take into account actual weight.

I can hear people already complaining about how "terrible" this is, kill the economy, and other such stuff.  So as a balancing I propose the following.  

Remove all number of times mail limits. (apparently it's been removed)

Also, I understand there is a rune that can "reset" the number of mailings.  

This would be easy to rectify under the system, by changing it to 10% less postage rune.  

Thus it would become highly valuable by traders to place on shipping containers to lower postage costs.

Edited by Tallios
  • Like 1

I agree with some of it. They definitely need to change how they charge for mail. I'm not sure if a straight per kg fee or if they should do something where you use weight ranges. .01kg - .99kg = 50i, 1kg - 2kg = 1c, 2kg - 4.99kg = 3c, 5kg - 10kg = 5c or something similar.

The limit of 10 mailings per item was removed as of 1.3

• The item mailing limit of 10 times has been removed.

9 minutes ago, zethreal said:

I agree with some of it. They definitely need to change how they charge for mail. I'm not sure if a straight per kg fee or if they should do something where you use weight ranges. .01kg - .99kg = 50i, 1kg - 2kg = 1c, 2kg - 4.99kg = 3c, 5kg - 10kg = 5c or something similar.

The limit of 10 mailings per item was removed as of 1.3

• The item mailing limit of 10 times has been removed.

Well damn, guess I can't use that as a bargaining chip

doesnt sound like anything that would bring an advantage in any aspect, only me a step back from the mailing system we got to by now. so -1

why would you want to make mailing more expensive again? would you think theres more people to buy stuff when suddenly the mailing cost turns into 25x the value of an item?

What bothers me more than cost is mailing size limits. I'd like to see a new additional type of mailbox for large and bulk items, basically some kind of pony express version.  It would be kinda like a market stall in that it takes up a whole tile and would require more mats/enchants to create than a mailbox (maybe even a horse), but would permit sending of those large items like long bows, or bulk items like crates or barrels. Items would need to be picked up from another pony express station, just as with mailboxes now.  Cost to make and send to be determined by devs as deemed appropriate and proportional.

some may argue it would kill delivery services or even further reduce social trade interactions, but provided the limitations and costs are appropriate it could still make sending a knarr load of stuff impractical/expensive, but would really help small level bulk trades or bowyers etc.

just an idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bosh said:

What bothers me more than cost is mailing size limits. I'd like to see a new additional type of mailbox for large and bulk items, basically some kind of pony express version.  It would be kinda like a market stall in that it takes up a whole tile and would require more mats/enchants to create than a mailbox (maybe even a horse), but would permit sending of those large items like long bows, or bulk items like crates or barrels. Items would need to be picked up from another pony express station, just as with mailboxes now.  Cost to make and send to be determined by devs as deemed appropriate and proportional.

some may argue it would kill delivery services or even further reduce social trade interactions, but provided the limitations and costs are appropriate it could still make sending a knarr load of stuff impractical/expensive, but would really help small level bulk trades or bowyers etc.

just an idea.

or some way of locking a delivery for somewhere else?

1 hour ago, Arium said:

doesnt sound like anything that would bring an advantage in any aspect, only me a step back from the mailing system we got to by now. so -1

why would you want to make mailing more expensive again? would you think theres more people to buy stuff when suddenly the mailing cost turns into 25x the value of an item?

I'm looking to make a system that charges for weight, so that people can send cheaper things easier and bulkier things take more.

I don't agree with charging by weight.  Some items weigh more such as different weapons or tools.  It shouldn't cost more to mail them.  We used to have to pay for a barrel of milk at per 1kg of milk plus the container so what they have given us now is so much nicer.  I'm not sure I wish to make them rethink that.

I think the mailing system currently is better than is has been in the years I've played, while a few little things still need addressed I think it's best to leave the pricing as it is.

Your more than able to mod whatever system you please on on private servers, and weight has very little to do with value, so it's a very poor way to accomplish whatever it is your wanting to do.

15 hours ago, Tallios said:

or some way of locking a delivery for somewhere else?

So picking a specific named pony station to deliver to? That could be cool actually, although I can invasion stuff getting lost lol, I guess every station would need an individual name which could get fiddly or complicated...