Sign in to follow this  
Aeryck

Something strange in the [pottery] neighborhood

So anyone on Xanadu has probably heard me ranting about the skillgain and difficulty of Pottery. I recently hit 90 and it was SIGNIFICANTLY easier than I expected. Imping the items, however is SIGNIFICANTLY harder than I expected.

I have been using 90ql supreme tools with 90+ woa/coc along with 90 coc/woa water and clay. Normal hand. The skillgain is SO easy. The other night while imping items from around 85 to 87 I was getting .17 per hour or more at 92 skill (with sleep bonus). Pottery is my highest skill so I cant compare to something like Blacksmithing but I don't think other skills yield this much gain, especially without using "skiller" items. My assumption is that it's somehow related to the Miscellaneous skill and difficulty checks.

Here is my record for a 20 minute period.

Repairing: 0.0494 per hour

Pottery: 0.1731 per hour

Misc Items: 0.003549

Here is my skilldump from a few weeks ago.

https://www.niarja.com/skill_compare/Aeryck

After 85 QL the items average 3:2 for successful vs failures which results in very slow quality increase.

On top of all of this, MY ITEMS CANT BE REPAIRED ONCE FIRED!!!

So before I do more testing and post more specific and accurate logs I just wanted some feedback from other players or devs. Is this skillgain and success rate similar to other level 92 skills? Does this seem to be working as intended?

On top of all of this, MY ITEMS CANT BE REPAIRED ONCE FIRED!!!

Working as intended for years...

Yeah I didn't mean that I thought that part was a bug, just dumb.

Just poking fun... unsure on the imping rate though.

I think its fine and doesn't need a nerf actually having done pottery abit myself recently, not all skills are going to be the same, I mean its pottery after all not many people would do it before, many people still wont do it..

Also if we could repair, it wouldn't hurt but its not a big deal - I am almost certain damaged pottery still works the same.

Pottery skill gain doesn't seem that different then say blacksmithing or masonry. It's much faster then say shipbuilding, fine carpentry, or weapons smithing. imo, this is fine.

Now that rarity is here I dislike that pottery items can't be repaired. It would make me cry if I got a fantastic pie dish. I like pies and could use that but I'd feel distressed every time because of no repair feature. That doesn't seem right to me.

My fix would be letting fired pottery items be improved but it would be considerably harder. (and no stupid runes or junk from rifts. just simple clay dug from clay tiles, toon potter skill and normal pottery imping tools).

• Like 2

96 pottery, 96 fine carpentry, can't say that I really notice a difference to be honest.  But then again, I just tend to do stuff and skill is what it is.

Someone told me long ago that we can imp anything to 30 because our improving would work as if we had 20 skill.

There is no way that it is like that on clay planters. I spent two days getting 30 planters to 35 ql, and my skill is now 40+.

It doesn't help that when the herbs die the planter will have the ql the planted herb had. (In most cases increased ql on planters specifically.)

This is not Nextopia where we enjoy expectations that far ahead as 42 days (towards 1 ig year).

I should be able to improve any clay item to 30 as a total newbie, as I can with other crafts.

Cecci what is your misc skill? I am wondering if the other 90 potters I have talked to have less trouble because they have 80-90 Misc skill.

@GoldFever

@Sandyar

@Asheram

?

Edited by Aeryck

I've always thought pottery items imped slower after 80ql but I could never tell if that had to do with using a 50ql hand or something else. 92.5+ pottery and 98+ misc items. When I ground pottery to 90 (albeit a few years ago) it seemed fairly standard for a 90 grind, if perhaps a tad bit slower because of 1 unenchanted item.

I am 97 pottery and the skill gain is similar to other skills at a high level but I find the imping Ql gains much smaller so that it takes longer to make a 80 ql jar then an 80 ql wood item.  This has been like that for a long time and probably the reason there are so few high skilled potters .  Then again not much difference in using a 20 ql jar or a 90 ql jar as i see no real difference for decay and the like in their contents.  I haven't tested much with the new cooking but my hope is you need 90 ql pottery items to make 90 ql cooking stuff...