Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Rifts Continue To Trash The Servers

another solution is to enjoy the rifts and spend time repairing the damage after =p

remember sandbox

if you unhappy about it, deed your off deed plantations

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, Angelklaine said:

I see no reason why content should be removed from the game.

I don't know where you came up with this claim directing it at me when in my OP I included the statement below. Rather than removing the Rift "content", if it were isolated to certain locations it would resolve the random revolving location destruction of areas over time. Then at least those who are concerned with more than their own deed development could continue to improve their local area environments as they have been doing for years and years without the game Developers destroying them.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:07 AM, Ayes said:

A simple solution could be to set these Rift areas to perhaps 4 fixed locations N/S/E/W on each server and just rotate them around for access convenience

=Ayes=

Rifts hit pretty randomly and makes slight changes to the land. Bigger changes if the land was a tree plantation of course. Still think of the positive. Slight changes to an abandoned area will bring it back to a more natural looking state. If anyone can remember the barren beauty of The Grand Steppe on Indipendence say 5 years ago. Today its been flattened out deeded many places and has in many ways lost its Grand'nes. Problem is many of those places are now abandoned but continue to take the great wilderness experience out of Grand Steppe. So in my opinion Rifts also play a good role with its re landscaping ability.  it has earlier been discussed to bring a mechanism into the game reverting abandoned domesticated (flat) areas back to a more natural state. 

• Like 1

A week or so ago another Rift spawned on Deliverance and took out about 1/3 of the forest that I had replanted from the first Rift that hit it. A month before that a Rift destroyed about 1/2 of another forest I had planted over the years. Looks like another Rift messed up part of a highway myself and others had built years ago and some of the more recent forest that I had planted there.

This Rift random forest destruction is getting pretty discouraging now as it seems to be standard policy. I will replant some trees in my local area at times but not going to replant whole or partial forests destroyed by Rifts. Pretty pointless when they are just partially or wholly destroyed later on down the line. As the post title states, it continues. So it seems that the game Devs care little for what others do to enhance the game environment with the implementation of this bizarre system of Rift deforestation. It continues to baffle me as to how this is considered something positive for the game.

=Ayes=

6 hours ago, dl said:

Rifts hit pretty randomly and makes slight changes to the land. Bigger changes if the land was a tree plantation of course. Still think of the positive. Slight changes to an abandoned area will bring it back to a more natural looking state. If anyone can remember the barren beauty of The Grand Steppe on Indipendence say 5 years ago. Today its been flattened out deeded many places and has in many ways lost its Grand'nes. Problem is many of those places are now abandoned but continue to take the great wilderness experience out of Grand Steppe. So in my opinion Rifts also play a good role with its re landscaping ability.  it has earlier been discussed to bring a mechanism into the game reverting abandoned domesticated (flat) areas back to a more natural state. 

I agree with this. Developed non deeded land might be beautiful for the one who develops it, but might be gaudy to others. The road that crosses the back of my deed towards the pass that connects my region with the center of Celebration looks necessary and we'll planted, but to me it looks abhorrent and gaudy as f**k. 

I am of the opinion that the randomness of the Rifts is better than a fixed location where players will be able to keep a deed nearby to farm the events, keeping everything they need there right on hand when the Rift appears. Being random allows to prevent this. 

I respect your idea, Ayes, I simply disagree with your statement that it is the right move. Like everyone else's, your efforts to beautify a region are commendable, but content should always trump personal preference. 

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:50 PM, Angelklaine said:

I am of the opinion that the randomness of the Rifts is better than a fixed location where players will be able to keep a deed nearby to farm the events, keeping everything they need there right on hand when the Rift appears.

Actually you have pointed out yet again the best solution for these Rift spawns specifically for the reason that those who have the desire to participate in them then have the option to move to those areas. Those such as myself who have no interest in them whatsoever can then stay well clear of these spots of desolation. If some find it too onerous a task to travel there then a teleport ability could be created to them as well.

The current situation has shattered the sustaining peace (from Dev destruction) that the environment of these lands have had for so many years. Some may remember the more hidden away destruction cave bugs and other mine burrowers exacted upon mine floors some years ago. Same concept here, a careless concern for players efforts spending their time in positive pursuits to improve their game environment by destroying what they have accomplished. Sure, it is tailored to individual tastes, which options make it all attractive to those who have chosen these pursuits.

Do the walls have ears? A broken forehead seems to indicate no. Directed at the powers that be of course, not yourself.

=Ayes=

On 02/03/2017 at 9:32 AM, Ayes said:

Do the walls have ears? A broken forehead seems to indicate no. Directed at the powers that be of course, not yourself.

The devs clearly hate you, personally - I bet they make the rifts spawn exactly where you last worked, just to piss you off.

I have to say, I happened to be on a server other than my usual one for the rift last night, and I was really impressed how a number of people stuck around afterwards to clean up.  The rift spawned right on a major highway (like, literally, the red beam was square in the middle of the highway), so there was quite a bit of levelling and repaving required.  Within an hour after the rift finished, the highway was fully repaired and the corpses had been cleaned up.  Given the rift happened on the edge of a forrested region, I expect the trees and grass will recolonise on their own over the next few weeks.  According to some of the locals, the area used to be deeded, so the slight adjustment of the landscape helped to blur that out a bit.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:43 AM, Wonka said:

The devs clearly hate you, personally - I bet they make the rifts spawn exactly where you last worked, just to piss you off.

Despite your bizarre claim, this situation is more than just about me, it's about how the game has functioned for years as one of security in that what players have done to improve the environments around them. Basically the game has always been about creation not destruction and with the implementation of Rifts it has turned into the opposite in respect to the environment.

The fact that at times players have repaired/replanted some of these areas afterwards doesn't change this fact, nor that they will have to do this on a continuing basis, since after these Rifts came into the game their design is to continually devastate the landscapes. A poor choice to change the game design in this way is what I have been pointing out and further comments to the contrary encourage me to once again detail my contentions.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

Personally, I don't really mind the rift damage - roads notwithstanding, it seems to repair itself fairly quickly.  It's nice that there's some reclamation of the human-sculpted remains of long-fallen deeds, however minor.  I can see how having one spawn in the middle of your off-deed orchard might be annoying, but given they already spawn in a fairly small part of the server (the central areas), it's already possible to move away if you really want to.  Or to put your plantations on deed, or even in perimeter (which is cheaper to maintain) - rifts will never spawn there.

But casting snide asides about how the devs don't care, or how the walls don't listen to you, etc etc just diminishes and trivialises your argument.  If I were a dev, having to decide what to spend my (presumably limited) time on, the arguments that don't involve calling me names would probably be where I'd start looking, all other things being equal.  Just because (presumably) none of the devs agree with you (and who knows what changes are in the pipeline) doesn't mean they haven't heard you.

I understand you are into the scenery more so than some others and that's what you enjoy. Others not as much.

If it isn't on deed or perimeter then it's free game for all, including random rifts. 

Trashing is a relative term. To me trashing an area on Freedom would be clear cutting and creating a bunch of random 90ql stone 1x1's and planting all kinds of random hedges, fences, making huge holes, after adding an extension to it from a major highway, I would then ask to have it added to the server map as Shanty Town and keep a couple of free alts there tor activity purposes until I got bored then leave it for you to look at for the next year or so. 

Rift damage isn't that bad in comparison.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:19 AM, Wonka said:

But casting snide asides about how the devs don't care, or how the walls don't listen to you, etc etc just diminishes and trivialises your argument.  If I were a dev, having to decide what to spend my (presumably limited) time on, the arguments that don't involve calling me names would probably be where I'd start looking, all other things being equal.

You bring up a valid point here. Upon reflection in a state of less frustration it would have been better if I left that ending reference off the post. It is just that on some issues within the game I find it hard not to care. In the future I shall try to refrain for making such diminishing trivialities, as in this instance that you have pointed out they serve no constructive purpose to the attempted points made.

=Ayes=