Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Rifts Continue To Trash The Servers

On 01/09/2017 at 1:42 PM, Galadhel said:

Finally someone who actually READ and understood the OP

Read understood and agreed.*

Some of us disagree. We see the destruction and chaos as one thing or another, and not neasisarily terrible. Read Noizhead's post.

There is an option for writ to smash, clean up behind yourself.

~20 slope savagery on the local dirt-used-to-be-forest tiles is easily fixed, but shouldn't fall on one person.

Human element is destructive amd neglectful. Benefited from a rift? Clean up a 5x5 area. Grid off the site and ###### clean after yourselves.

In other words, I sympathize with Ayes, but there is always a better option than nerf.

Always.

1 hour ago, Makarus said:

Read understood and agreed.*

Sympathetic =/=> Agreement as you later assert

I am simply offering a middle ground to two polarised sides ^_^

• Like 1

On 1/9/2017 at 1:52 PM, Etherdrifter said:

The point really being made here is that someone spent time beautifying an area and a random "act of god" undid that work.

You mean like a hurricane?

1 minute ago, Angelklaine said:

You mean like a hurricane?

but... but there's no flooding...:huh:  Shouldn't there be flooding?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

but... but there's no flooding...:huh:  Shouldn't there be flooding?

Oh God. Don't give Rolf any ideas.

Edited by Angelklaine
Damn autocorrect!
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 1:41 PM, Makarus said:

Human element is destructive amd neglectful. Benefited from a rift? Clean up a 5x5 area. Grid off the site and ###### clean after yourselves.

In other words, I sympathize with Ayes, but there is always a better option than nerf.

Always.

When Wurm gives you lemons make lemon juice (and tin to make clay).

Trollface-Elevation.JPG

• Like 2

I'd be happy if rift happened in abandoned deeds... eliminating all the buildings/walls left behind 

I do have to say I would be upset if this happened anywhere I had poured my time and love into.. but at the same time.. having your own little area that is untouched.. might as well just play WU by yourself I feel like these destruction need to happen to keep the game active and moving, rift should also be more random instead of always beeing in the same general area..(I am also getting tired of carting for 45 minutes str8 to then fight for 1 or 2 hours to get nothing from it..)

Edited by Legios

4 hours ago, Legios said:

I'd be happy if rift happened in abandoned deeds... eliminating all the buildings/walls left behind 

I do have to say I would be upset if this happened anywhere I had poured my time and love into..

Please do not remove a fun and cool terrain change because some people prefer a different color palette.

• Like 1

I've been to a lot of old rift sites and the area heals slowly.. but not as fast as new rifts pop up.. so without any outside interference rifts will, in time, theoretically destroy an entire map.. since it takes 3-4 times longer to heal than a new rift to pop up..

Since the code was put in place to remove grass and trees and spawn rift resources.. maybe something can be implemented so that once the rift is closed, since it's littered with rift stones, crystals and so on.. removing one would turn the surrounding 4-5 tile radius back to what it was, maybe even spawn a few trees on the grass tiles.. It will not cover the entire rift area, but it will at least 'plant the seeds' for the natural regeneration to occur faster.. 

This way you will witness a full circle.. land turns into dust, rift creatures come.. rift gets closed, rift resources removed, wurm lands heal.. plague removed

Edited by faty
  • Like 3

Something ive noticed, and 2am worknight is not a good time to write the entire thing, but entropy exists in wurm.

We fight it, it is our nature.

It exists, and all things tend to fall towards entropy.

I freaked out once, space cadet moment pondering marsh and lava spread rates and availible tiles on a said map.

Needless to say, dont ponder while in low orbit.

Also, marsh hasnt absorbed a server yet.

Neither have sand and lava, despite my efforts.

None of these really step in and ruin highways and ###### either.

Edited by Makarus
mannn
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:49 AM, faty said:

I've been to a lot of old rift sites and the area heals slowly.. but not as fast as new rifts pop up.. so without any outside interference rifts will, in time, theoretically destroy an entire map.. since it takes 3-4 times longer to heal than a new rift to pop up

Yes, this is my concern. These Rifts over time will collectively destroy many forests within Wurm, whether wild or player created, in their seemingly indiscriminate march onward. Really they add nothing positive to the Wurm environment as that is not their design. They merely provide fighting experience and drop some items desirable to certain players in the process. The trade off is that the landscapes are destroyed in the process and I find it to be a flawed system because of this.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:26 AM, Makarus said:

Something ive noticed, and 2am worknight is not a good time to write the entire thing, but entropy exists in wurm.

I do not find Wurm to be a game of entropy (Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society) but rather the opposite. By this I mean that the world continents are in a continual state of growth and enhancement due to player participation with their building and crafting options available. Sure, when some players quit their creations fall into ruins but formerly the forests and trees would always remain behind for others to view appreciatively or use for other purposes.

Never before has there been such a random mindless destructive mechanic such as these Rifts which leave 50x50 (2,500 tiles) treeless areas behind after their departure. This really is a major change to the game and I find it hard to see it as a positive one for the sandbox element of it.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Replant your forests, patch up your broken highways, not the end times.

On 1/5/2017 at 0:26 PM, Wraithglow said:

If it's as Retro says and the slopes are no more than 20, then surely this is in fact a solution to the long-standing complaint that old deed sites remain unnaturally flat forever? Surely we can't have it both ways... (or maybe it's different people complaining in each direction).

Retrograde posing for a photo...   Image result for no matter what you do someone's not happy

• Like 1

Rifts provides content for those who participate in them. Content. That thing that makes people play a game. Some people like the monotony, static nature of building their own piece of the land, others like the fun of fighting the forces of chaos that give them a reason to get that 95ql gear they paid all that money for. Both types of content are equally valid.

The issue here is the fact that, static players want to see the rifts move away to a place where their creations don't get touched, while the people who participate enjoy the ability of visiting different locations during these events and participating in them.

I see no difference between a rift destroying an area, and a player coming into a forest and leveling it down to skill up, and then dropping a gaudy-ass deed there that makes anyone nearby cry. 

If you invest time in an area, deed it or loose it. I don't see why content should be changed because some people want an area to not be touched but they don't want to really get invested in it.

I fall into both categories but can't comment because I have yet to be affected by one.

Personally I'm sure if it got out of hand, something would be done. 

Well, that's the whole point people in this thread are trying to make. It has gotten out of hand, depending who's perspective you look at it from. I think the point they are trying to make is that the rift effects on the environment are unnecessary, but if they are removed, then it will stop being a rift and will become just another timed event. I am of the opinion of leaving things the way they are. Fixing up rift locations is content in and of itself. 

On 1/17/2017 at 11:49 PM, faty said:

I've been to a lot of old rift sites and the area heals slowly.. but not as fast as new rifts pop up.. so without any outside interference rifts will, in time, theoretically destroy an entire map.. since it takes 3-4 times longer to heal than a new rift to pop up..

Problem with what your saying is that rifts are not random so there is no way this mass destruction can happen. They are already returning to the old site locations. My advice is don't plant or invest time in the known areas and you will be safe.

we had a rift near our deed not to long ago right in the middle of our cherry orchard. after the rift a bunch of people offered to help and rebuild. there are great people doing these rifts that are friendly and helpful, in the end we rebuilt it our selves took one tree hugger from our alliance about 3 hours and it is back to normal. I see no need to change a system that is not broken to begin with.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZaneWarblade said:

we had a rift near our deed not to long ago right in the middle of our cherry orchard. after the rift a bunch of people offered to help and rebuild. there are great people doing these rifts that are friendly and helpful, in the end we rebuilt it our selves took one tree hugger from our alliance about 3 hours and it is back to normal.

At one of the earlier Rifts on Deliverance that destroyed an aprox 2,500 tree forest I had planted over the years, a number of people helped re-level the area afterwards and replant some of the trees. Then I went and finished planting most of the rest, running out of sprouts a few times and needing to pick more. My part of it alone took more than three hours with additional tree sprout picking involved, so I broke the process up over several days.

The thing is after repairing and replanting a few of these Rift destructions around the area players get tired of having to do the same thing over and over again so eventually they don't repair this damage anymore and replant *all* the trees. Since Rifts seem now to be an never ending repetition of this damage to the environment, no doubt less and less additional effort will be put forth by other players devoted to this.

Now to the casual passer through these areas, once the grass grown back and a few trees are planted they would have no way of knowing how these areas and more dense forests appeared before that. Only those who had devoted themselves to maintaining these forests and local areas would really see clearly the loss. Also, these scattered -20 pits and lumps in no way resemble the natural untouched landscape of rolling contours, much less land that has been terraformed into flat areas or sloped rises. They are certainly not returning the land to its more natural state, as some would attempt to claim.

Rifts are a destructive plague (they are even noted as that in Event after being closed) upon the Wurm landscapes, either natural or player enhanced. There really can be no denial of that fact. A casual mockery of player efforts to improve the game landscapes in their local areas by their efforts, which others would never even bother to devote their time to and yet the Dev's seem to think that this is of no consequence. *boggles*

=Ayes=

It is only of as much consequence as you make it to be. You can always concentrate your efforts on your deed instead of the local areas. Or you can see this destruction afterwards as PvE content, in where you bring the beauty back. I see no reason why content should be removed from the game. Games with less to do tend to die off as people get bored and leave.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2017 at 6:24 PM, Ayes said:

My part of it alone took more than three hours with additional tree sprout picking involved, so I broke the process up over several days.

Three hours, seriously?  This whole thread is about 3 hours? 

It takes me longer to make a set of chain mail for a new player.  And typically they quit playing in less time than it takes the next rift to spawn.

another solution might be to spawn a portal to the rift ( like an instance) so the actual rift and area is on a small server but the access to it is spawned like now with the red light.

less cleanup that way.

I personally don't mind the mess they make but this might be a solution for the people that do

• Like 3

6 hours ago, elroth said:

another solution might be to spawn a portal to the rift ( like an instance) so the actual rift and area is on a small server but the access to it is spawned like now with the red light.

less cleanup that way.

I personally don't mind the mess they make but this might be a solution for the people that do

That's actually kind of a cool idea.

Taking it a bit further

• each current server could have multiple portal areas, handy for Xan and Indy if it spawns on the opposite corner from you.
  • All servers portal to the same rift server
  • Much more mobs (to account for the higher player count)
  • Re-worked loot system (to account for the higher player count)

In my mind this would help with a few issues.  Number one of which isn't cleaning up the rift mess, it's finally re-creating a sense of broad community that was broken years ago with the spamming of multiple servers.  I'd love to see some folks on my friends list or names I recognize that still play but are on other servers too far to warrant a trip.

I for one would enjoy fighting in a rather hopeless situation on that server with folks like Xallo, Nadroj,  Proph, (and many others) desperately trying to instill some coordination and working together for once.

Edited by belthize
  • Like 1