Sign in to follow this  
Aleiel

Graphics Stick on Mid-2012 MacBook Air Sierra

I have seen various questions about correct settings but nothing about Sierra. I am new to Wurm and have never successfully run it before - it will load but the graphics "stick" and there are semi- to multi-second lags between frames when moving around. Even getting the settings window to popup causes a delay. My basic info can be found here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-mid-2012-specs.html

4GB Ram, 512MB VRAM

I have lowered many of the graphics settings (but maybe not enough?), I have a 25mbps internet connection and I can run other games (like elder scrolls online) with no problem. Apparently, I am using Java 8, 111.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? Thanks.

Edited by Aleiel
add detail to title

36 minutes ago, Aleiel said:

I have lowered many of the graphics settings (but maybe not enough?)

Probably not enough. This is Intergated Intel HD 4000 graphics, the "vram" is actually shared system memory. It will run but may not run great. I know some people though with similar integrated graphics who can play smoothly on low settings, at maybe 15-20 FPS, without jerking and freezing up. 

Settings I would especially turn down are: shadows, anti aliasing, reflections, particles, bloom. 

I don't know much about macs but make sure you have the newest drivers because that can make a huge difference with intel graphics.. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thanks for the tips but I feel like something else must be going on here. I've now lowered my graphics settings almost as low as they can go (I think anyway, I don't understand all of them) and it still sticks just as bad as it always has. This, and I can run Elder Scrolls Online without any problem, a similarly graphics intense game.

Does anyone else have the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics card and had to deal with this issue? 

Any other thoughts as to what this could be?

Go to Control panel > Device manager > Display Adapter > Intel HD 4000 > Properties > Driver

Tell me what the driver date and driver version says 

Elder Scrolls Online is a DirectX game and Wurm is an OpenGL game. If you have generic drivers from Microsoft that came preinstalled with Windows, I would expect DirectX games to run a lot better than OpenGL games. 

if you ask Windows or the laptop maker to update drivers, they will simply confirm you have the basic generic Microsoft driver and tell you you already have the best/newest driver, this happens even to people with nine year old drivers (I doubt yours are that old)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Unfortunately, Macs don't work like Windows machines, the drivers are part of the operating system and can't be updated separately, in essence there is no driver version to check. And I am on the most current version of MacOS, so there's nowhere to go until they put out another update; I doubt that will change anything. If anyone knows how to get around this Mac issue I'd certainly be open to it, but I've never heard that such things are possible.

I don't know anything about DirectX vs OpenGL unfortunately; it's just amazing how much differently the two games run. Wurm Online looks like such a great game, I really wish I could get it working!

You could try turning GLSL off if you haven't already.  That's the only way I can play.

Intel HD 4000 should be able to run the game on low settings, personally I got Intel HD 3000 on my laptop and it runs mostly fine (30+ FPS in a wild, 15-30 in cities). With Intel HD 4000, you should have better performance, maybe even stable 30+ FPS in towns.

Please make sure your compatibility tab looks like this:

3a846be84fa2b72f7c5876e9281d9328.png

Make sure it looks like a buncha numbers with a png tag? :P