Sign in to follow this  
Gawain

Forge and Oven Chimneys

We should have something in place that prevents forge and oven chimneys from sticking through above floors 

• Like 3

Or have a way, either by design or by making a decorative item (maybe call it a chimney for simplicity), to extend the chimneys to the roof.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gawain said:

We should have something in place that prevents forge and oven chimneys from sticking through above floors 

Multistory housing.

You can build higher ceilings or place forges under the highest roof points.

• Like 1

I always put roof above them, so there is always a nice chimney sticking out of it.

• Like 2

+1

11 hours ago, zigozag said:

Multistory housing.

You can build higher ceilings or place forges under the highest roof points.

Yes, of course there are obvious ways to jury rig a solution that everyone has thought of.

Doesn't change the fact that more versatile solutions would be appreciated.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reylaark said:

+1

Yes, of course there are obvious ways to jury rig a solution that everyone has thought of.

I guess there are considerable technical challenges to this, so I guess you shouldn't hold your hopes too high.

Edited by Arvid
spell

13 minutes ago, Arvid said:

I guess there are considerable technical challenges to this, so I guess you shouldn't hold your hopes too high.

Yeah... true that.

At first I was thinking maybe just something like the center column from a spiral staircase,  but how to determine where to release the smoke?  I guess it would require pretty big changes to oven and forges, and then there's the issue of all the ovens and forges that already exist.

I don't think it's impossible considering what we have already seen them accomplish, but it's probably not very simple.

Ah well.  Luckily dreaming is free :)

6 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

I don't think it's impossible considering what we have already seen them accomplish, but it's probably not very simple.

Ah well.  Luckily dreaming is free :)

I guess fullfilling all the hopes we as players have would require an army of developers and I'm afraid we don't quite have that.

Luckily dreaming requires nothing but the ability to let our imagination run freely :-)

• Like 2

Personally it would be nice to have a taller chimney, I would like to see it reach just below the 3rd floor, so it sticks through a first floor roof a bit more, too short as it is, would look better in my opinion, as for sticking through a second floor, put more thought into your building design when considering the use of a forge or oven. A 2 story room has a decent look to it with the open concept.

NUYjbKu.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

Personally it would be nice to have a taller chimney, I would like to see it reach just below the 3rd floor, so it sticks through a first floor roof a bit more, too short as it is, would look better in my opinion, as for sticking through a second floor, put more thought into your building design when considering the use of a forge or oven. A 2 story room has a decent look to it with the open concept.

Solves nothing, just makes it suit your own personal taste better.

Nothing to solve other than people's poor building planning to begin with. For those that insist trying to fit a oven or forge under a floor you can shove it far enough into the wall to negate most of the protrusion, but you are better off just building a double height room.

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Nothing to solve other than people's poor building planning to begin with. For those that insist trying to fit a oven or forge under a floor you can shove it far enough into the wall to negate most of the protrusion, but you are better off just building a double height room.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:36 AM, Reylaark said:

+1

A fairly simple solution would be to "copypaste" forges, ovens, and fireplaces to create 2 new items for each:

Forge II:  Same thing, but chimney graphic is 2 stories tall now

Forge III:  You guessed it, another story taller.

• Like 1

I like the extend chimney menu option perhaps with brick/clay active.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Klaa said:

I like the extend chimney menu option perhaps with brick/clay active.

DO we have items that can be "transformed"?  If so that would be the best option for sure.  Have a "forge" act as a normal one but also count as an "unfinished Forge II" so to speak, not sure how tough or not that would be to code.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, Mordraug said:

DO we have items that can be "transformed"?  If so that would be the best option for sure.  Have a "forge" act as a normal one but also count as an "unfinished Forge II" so to speak, not sure how tough or not that would be to code.

Not too difficult offhand, one possible implementation would be one item being automatically destroyed and replaced by a different one.

Pretty much similar to existing high level GM or Dev powers... recycling code!