Sign in to follow this  
harald921

Wurm "More Sounds" Addon

I have been messing around in C# recently, creating a program that reads from the log files in order to play sounds that currently are not implemented in the game.

E.g "[16:05:07] The water splashes as the fish fights in the water." resulting in a water splash sound, or "[15:42:18] You find woad!" resulting in a grass rustle sound.

I have been messing around with trying to get drop / pick-up sounds for specific items to work, but that would be quite a challenging task so I will probably avoid it unless I see some interest in this.

Will probably be posting a video showing it "in action" this week.

If you think this sounds interesting, a way you could help massively is to name as many soundless event messages as possible.

I will not post the files yet since it is currently very rough, poorly made and totally experimental. However if anyone want to have the source code, just send me a PM.

Tell me what you think.

• Like 4

I'd like to hear dogs/HH bark when they have said animation, cows moo (sometimes they still do) and the like, but a)they don't have an event message b)that'd need a tweak as for not being heard in local (but faded depending on the tile distance)

In any case, +1 for this mod: as a fisher maybe it'd be nice to have the "The fish pulls heavily making the road creak" sound, I guess? *_*

Before this thread catches a kneejerk reaction's move to WU section............ 

Would be cool if CC opened up to authorized mods being applied to the client (mostly cosmetic ones of course), WO's appeal can only increase if people can customize certain stuff client-side.

2 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Would be cool if CC opened up to authorized mods being applied to the client (mostly cosmetic ones of course), WO's appeal can only increase if people can customize certain stuff client-side.

The problem with adding "cosmetic" mods is you can do fun things like "cosmetically" turning trees into see-through textures so you can see better than your opponent ( in PvP ). Or how about changing enemy player walking sounds to something else, so you could hear them coming better? 

As soon as you open up mods like this, they WILL be abused. 

I remember a "cosmetic" HL mod that turned everything white except players. Made multiplayer a lot easier. 

3 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Program which just reads logs and plays sounds based on them is perfectly fine, even for WO (Wurm Assistant works EXACTLY thanks to that). :)

On the other hand, if program tries to "plug" directly into the running game in any way... Then this is a big "no".

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Warlander said:

On the other hand, if program tries to "plug" directly into the running game in any way... Then this is a big "no".

Those would have to come directly from CC's website, even if the code is player-made.

As things stand, there's no real incentive for players to make them.  If CC says "accepting code for plugins", which y'all then take and turn into addons which only work if client can authenticate them as CC's, that incentive would exist.

Things like:

- UI changes 

- Creature reskins (whereby CC can "censor" out things like 10ft tall wild cats).

- Accessibility addons

- Timers (meditation, harvests, and such)

- Sounds like the cool ones mentioned here, or killing the constant wind on higher elevation deeds.

- Customizable phobia mode.  An enthomologist may be terrified of rats.

My logic behind favoring a plugins system is that CC would be able to add way more changes without running afoul of the Twelve Doctrines, while being able to control what exactly those plugins are.

If y'all can catch altered clients as it is, it should be no problem to catch altered plugins in the same fashion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grandexeno said:

I'd like to hear dogs/HH bark when they have said animation, cows moo

I am afraid that the only things I can add sounds to are things that gives an event message.

8 hours ago, Mordraug said:

"Addon" might've been a poor choice of wording, but this is actually entirely meant for WO. As Warlander says, Wurm Assistant works just like that and is the main inspiration for this.

• Like 1