Sign in to follow this  
Simyaci

Remove personal randomness on food affinities

On 30.12.2016 at 10:10 PM, Ricowan said:

Personally, I think it should be random for the chef, but once the meal is created, the affinity stick to that specific meal no matter who eats it.  So two chefs making the same exact recipe will result in different affinities, but everyone eating the meal from Chef #1 will get the same affinity.  Yes, this will randomly favor some chefs who get a desirable affinity from an "easy" meal, but hey, Wurm isn't fair anyway. ;)

Edit: Suggestion from Ricowan  is obviously much better than this suggestion so I am supporting his suggestion instead of suggesting below.

Spoiler

Right now each person gets a different affinity from the exact same food. The person who cooked the food tastes, sends it to me and I get a completely different affinity from it.

Is this to stop the overwhelming food market which has been ruining all other markets, draining all the money? (super sarcasm).

I got only 50ish hfc, but if I buy food from someone or if someone gifts me food, how many hundreds of food do I have to get and taste to have the affinity I want? Does everybody have to grind hfc to max? Does this randomness actually help anyone at all, prove beneficial for anyone? The only thing I see about this is that it kills the food market before it is even born and makes it mandatory for every single player to max hfc (sure I dont "have to" get the affinity, but i also dont have to hunt, ride a horse, build a house, put my character to sleep to get sleep bonus etc. or even play the game at all, so it is not an arguement to say "you dont have to". yes I am talking to you, the "you dont have to" guy in every game and every video lurking in the shadows till the opportunity to say it presents itself).

Please remove this randomness so the same food (not the type, the exact same item) gives the same affinity to everyone.

If there is really a benefit or need to make it completely random like this, please let me know so that I would get to know better than rant like this.

Sidenote: this suggestion is not about 10 foods with same name/type giving different affinities to same person.

Edited by Simyaci
  • Like 3

I like the randomness, however a dish cooked should be the same regardless of container.

it can be random for each person, that I'm fine with, but the rare state shouldn't change the dish.

Additionally if there is moldy or rotten materials they should lower the QL of the product, not change it entirely.  Unless a recipe specifically calls for rotten or moldy food.

6 hours ago, Simyaci said:

Please remove this randomness so the same food (not the type, the exact same item) gives the same affinity to everyone.

If there is really a benefit or need to make it completely random like this, please let me know so that I would get to know better than rant like this.

I agree with you here.

+1

Way too much RNG in Wurm, and it really does nothing for the game in most cases.

• Like 1

I think the reason for the affinity randomness was to ensure the entirity of the content was used.

For example:  Those not looking for affinities all cook bangers and mash since it fills all bars easily and has a high nutrition value (and low ingredient cost).  They're not going to cook anything else if they can avoid it (and since most people camp their deeds they CAN avoid it)

If affinitied were non-randomised players would quickly identify the most "effiicent" foods to make for certain affinities and all other foods would be ignored in favour of these.  Essentially you'd see about 30-40 specific recipes for dishes being made continuously while all the others gathered dust.

The trouble is I still agree with simyaci; this degree of randomness is a bit much.  I will admit to a bit of self interest here since all the affinities I get from bangers and mash and the various herb teas are crap XD

8 hours ago, Tallios said:

I like the randomness, however a dish cooked should be the same regardless of container.

it can be random for each person, that I'm fine with, but the rare state shouldn't change the dish.

I think you may have taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way :)

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/148280-poll-should-rarity-of-cookercontainer-change-affinity-of-meal/

8 hours ago, Tallios said:

Additionally if there is moldy or rotten materials they should lower the QL of the product, not change it entirely.  Unless a recipe specifically calls for rotten or moldy food.

Was thinking about this.  IRL, if I make a sandwich with moldy bread, it's not just more colorful, it has a completely different effect on me.  Usually not for the better.  Same with eggs as another example.  Fresh egg omelette, yum!  Rotten egg omelette, good mooorning Salmonella.  Rather different effect on my system.

9 hours ago, Simyaci said:
Spoiler

Right now each person gets a different affinity from the exact same food. The person who cooked the food tastes, sends it to me and I get a completely different affinity from it.

Is this to stop the overwhelming food market which has been ruining all other markets, draining all the money? (super sarcasm).

I got only 50ish hfc, but if I buy food from someone or if someone gifts me food, how many hundreds of food do I have to get and taste to have the affinity I want? Does everybody have to grind hfc to max? Does this randomness actually help anyone at all, prove beneficial for anyone? The only thing I see about this is that it kills the food market before it is even born and makes it mandatory for every single player to max hfc (sure I dont "have to" get the affinity, but i also dont have to hunt, ride a horse, build a house, put my character to sleep to get sleep bonus etc. or even play the game at all, so it is not an arguement to say "you dont have to". yes I am talking to you, the "you dont have to" guy in every game and every video lurking in the shadows till the opportunity to say it presents itself).

Sidenote: this suggestion is not about 10 foods with same name/type giving different affinities to same person.

I was also surprised that we each got different affinities.  Still have to -1 this though.

They put a lot of thought and work into this cooking update.  There's undoubtedly a reason they made it this way.

I think there should be a minimum 3 month (RL time) moratorium on changes to mechanics when they're introduced.  I'd make it 6 months myself.  Unless it's a bug or something not working as intended, but otherwise sometimes we need to give things a chance to develop as the designer of the system envisioned.

I can only speculate as to their reasoning.  I can also imagine reasons of my own why it might be like this.  No need to dive into that.  Point is, this is what was released, intentionally.

12 hours ago, Simyaci said:

There is. If there were 5 or 10 foods that gave the most preferred affinities, that's all that would be cooked without special reason. This way, most all foods will get equal love, as they provide a useful affinity for *someone*, if not for you.

• Like 5

-1 for this same reason.

1 hour ago, zethreal said:

There is. If there were 5 or 10 foods that gave the most preferred affinities, that's all that would be cooked without special reason. This way, most all foods will get equal love, as they provide a useful affinity for *someone*, if not for you.

• Like 1

I strongly disagree that the same affinity should be granted to all players for the same recipe.  The current system in which the affinity is different for everyone is a very refreshing departure from what games usually offer.  It's like having your very own personalized game in which you actually discover things yourself instead of looking them up on the internet. We need more content that works this way, not less.

• Like 4

I love the randomness and the variety. I could make one meal or drink a ton of different ways (different herbs, different cooker, different animal) and get all different affinities. True, most things seem to give me medium wooden shield or coal-making affinity, but it keeps the cooking subgame fun and useful. We don't all have to hunt deer to extinction or whatever. 

• Like 1

Personally, I think it should be random for the chef, but once the meal is created, the affinity stick to that specific meal no matter who eats it.  So two chefs making the same exact recipe will result in different affinities, but everyone eating the meal from Chef #1 will get the same affinity.  Yes, this will randomly favor some chefs who get a desirable affinity from an "easy" meal, but hey, Wurm isn't fair anyway. ;)

• Like 2

I like it random since it makes all the different meats have to be used instead of only being 4 main bangers and mash meals everyone cares about and then the other meats are not needed anymore.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2016 at 5:04 PM, zethreal said:

-1 for this exact reason. It was not "viva la RNG" it was for this purpose ^

• Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 3:10 PM, Ricowan said:

This would be the best compromise, imho.  Would also make the odd chef look for specific suppliers and ingredients reliably, creating commerce.  #MakeAnglingGreatAgain #Nogump2016

-1 would just mean the affinity i might want would be from a 5m per bite food where yours might be from a 2hr per bite food

On 30.12.2016 at 10:10 PM, Ricowan said:

That sounds like a great suggestion. +1

I get a different affinity for each meal for each person.  Meaning, if I make 2 pizzas, one pizza gives an affinity for a certain person and the other pizza gives another affinity for that same person.  This makes the whole thing completely useless, since you can't plan anything.  One day I want to work on carpentry, and I know stew gave me carpentry affinity last time, so I make stew again.  Only this time stew gives me forestry affinity.  There's no way to plan anything this way, making the whole thing pointless.  Any kind of stability would be preferable to this.  

On 2/12/2017 at 2:54 AM, Lovely_Rita said:

I get a different affinity for each meal for each person.  Meaning, if I make 2 pizzas, one pizza gives an affinity for a certain person and the other pizza gives another affinity for that same person.  This makes the whole thing completely useless, since you can't plan anything.  One day I want to work on carpentry, and I know stew gave me carpentry affinity last time, so I make stew again.  Only this time stew gives me forestry affinity.  There's no way to plan anything this way, making the whole thing pointless.  Any kind of stability would be preferable to this.  

If you make stew with the same ingredients, it will always give you the same affinity. You must use the same spices, meats, etc. It is not random per meal cooked as long as you use the exact same ingredients.

To get the same affinity you must use, the same rarity and type of heating source, same type of pottery/pan <rarity does not affect affinity>, exact same ingredients ie. cow milk to make cow butter not sheep milk to make sheep butter this changes affinities. Same goes with cooking oils. Cotton vs corn vs pine nut vs chestnut all give differant affinities in the end product. I keep a spread sheet with all our toons affinites and all the changes I made to the meal I chose to make so I know what I need to remake the exact same meal for the exact affinity I want. Over 500 combos on one meal so far and i am not half way thru the posibilities - for just one recipe. A good cook keeps good notes so the raw pasta does not turn out to be raw dry pasta!

Keep your knives sharp and your wits sharper - Keep calm and chive on!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 9:13 AM, zethreal said:

If you make stew with the same ingredients, it will always give you the same affinity. You must use the same spices, meats, etc. It is not random per meal cooked as long as you use the exact same ingredients.

Maybe I have a bug, because it doesn't work this way for me.  I make 10 pizzas exactly the same way once every few days.  All 10 of those pizzas give the same affinity.  A few days later when I make 10 more pizzas, using the exact same baking sheets, oven, ingredients, recipe, exactly the same, I get a completely different affinity.  The only difference between them is the day they're made and possibly the crafted ingredients, like the passata and dough, are different qualities.  

On 12/30/2016 at 2:08 PM, Etherdrifter said:

I think the reason for the affinity randomness was to ensure the entirity of the content was used.

And they ###### up great on that xD From all that glorius content and recepies nothing is used beside meals and pizzas with ridiculous amount of ingridients. There is apsolutly no reason to, use honey, prepare alcohols, complicated reallife recepies, rare/supreme/fantastic recepies looted from creatures, because excell sheets meals are so much better which is kinda sad for that game patch.