Sign in to follow this  
Andromas

Tips for new comers

I was thinking about my first experience of Worm online. I wandered about aimlessly. I did not understand the chat channels. I attacked a dog thinking it would be easy and got my ass kicked ... ran for my life. Cut down a tree with a crude ax and wondered what I would do with the logs. I was lucky enough to meet a player on named Dejay who came and saved me from the wild lands.

Guess my tip would be, the new start gear is much stronger than what most people remember since it got a huge buff at some point.

The new start gear(50ql long sword, 30ql leather set, 30ql med wood shield)  is much more new user friendly I managed to kill several spiders with starter gear on a fresh account with 100% starter gear and stats by luring it to a mine and hoping in and out to cotton when I was testing out combat on fresh WO characters not long ago. 

New gear seems to kill anything large rat and under with almost no damage taken (~5%), wolves will get take me down like ~30% per kill and spiders would kill me 2 time times over without a minehop/house to heal in but there doable with just foraging 4 or so cotton to heal up I managed to kill 2 this way without much issue.(No guards or templars used to help)

I remember before those days though, my first memory is trying to drag my small cart of iron and random stuff half way across the map and dying over and over even though I would try and stop dragging it to book it and running back to my small cart to keep dragging it on to the spot I was determined to deed I had found.

Find a spot you like.

Things you need:

nearby iron, water, wood

build a:

large cart(this is going to suck)

bsb + lock

then build a house.

find a bed and push it into your house, sleep bonus is your friend.

I recommend against immediately setting your sights on becoming a grand shipwright and instead focus on your main gathering skills such as mining, woodcutting, digging.

Being a well rounded character makes life in wurm so much easier.

Carpentry(needed to plan larger houses and overall pretty useful for making other wooden things)

40 fine carp needed to make a wagon so working on fine carp which raises overall carpentry can progress 2 goals at the same time, even if you don't grind fine carpentry all the way to 40 right away.

Masonry(30 needed for stone house walls?)

Stonecutting is a sub category of masonry but just as useful. you'll make tons of bricks in your life. imp grindstones.

Blacksmithing

You'll never not need blacksmithing. The most effieicent way to grind BS is by imping needles, because they use so little iron. But I'd say to just imp normal tools, picks, hatchets, shovels, rakes, whatever. rares/supremes/fantastics(lol) can sell well and get you some decent money.

low QL tools are for skill gain(ideal QL drops as your skill increases so that overall 'difficulty' of the the action is maintained).

With 30 blacksmithing, you can basically make all the skilling tools you'll need for a long time.

Higher QL tools are for improving something to very high quality or gathering higher quality resources.

Once you're feeling comfortable, you've got a feel for the game, you've got some basic skills to 30 or so and you're not struggling to simply exist, this is when I recommend trying out new skills to find something you like if you haven't already.

The enchant Circle of cunning is extremely useful as it gives increased skill gain(something like +1% per spell power) Make friends with a Vynora or Nathan priest or use some silver you have earned(or bought) for your commonly used lower QL skilling tools.

Edited by Tryfaen

Tip1; Do what ever you want, without any help. If you will get all on a silver plate, you will quit soon (most likely)

Tip 2: never join a village, Player Made Kingdom when you start. You cant 100% do what you want there. Every person is different, he has his own point of view how he wants things and you will have to follow  his rules. Always do what you want, not what you are told to!

Tip 3: Do what ever you think is best for you: house is good to have, farm is good to have, 100 mining, 100 wood cutting is good to have, but you have just started - do what you want! 

Tip 4: If you have started on Chaos, make your local visible in Events logs, that helps :) - the rest - do what you want, this game is a bit different from others! 

Tip 5: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page . Its like wikipedia, but only for Wurm Online for anything you need.

P.S. You wont die if you run out of water or food, only your stamina gains will suffer, that's all. 

Edited by bangzuvelis
  • Like 4